• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hearing Protection in an HD situation

Hearing protection in a deadly encounter is your last priority. Bottom line is that you will not have time to run get your plugs & muffs.

There is good evidence that you will not hear the blast; and may not even have any physical damage to your hearing (such as ringing). I have no experience in this but can find reliable sources as needed.

I recently purchased some amplified earmuffs to use in a HD situation (if time permits.) It would be the last thing I'd worry about but want the option available. I have multiple layers of protection that "should" give me adequate time to put them on.

As for their effectiveness, I just took them to an indoor range this week to try them out. I had them amplified so I could hear normal sounds. Then, before I could get a round off with my HD shotgun, a guy two lanes over unleashed a hellishly loud full-auto rifle. (The range rents full-autos). Although it was not deafening, it still was not very comfortable. I don't think those amplified muffs were designed to handle full-auto rifles. When he ran out of ammo I quickly put in my foam plugs as well.

However, I figure if those amplified muffs made an extremely loud full-auto rifle endurable then they should work fine in a HD situation. Again, they would be the last thing I went for after arming myself.

I was considering the ryobi noise cancelling muffs I used them all day in a house on my buddies 12" compound miter saw worked very well not sure of gun fire though?

I agree with blacksmith on this one. The last thing you need to worry about at 3am with your front door just being kicked in and 3 armed dirt bags are coming in your house is putting on earmuffs.
Practice and know the layout of your house,and know your gun. Then practice more.

bwalker said:
I recently purchased some amplified earmuffs to use in a HD situation (if time permits.) It would be the last thing I'd worry about but want the option available. I have multiple layers of protection that "should" give me adequate time to put them on.

As for their effectiveness, I just took them to an indoor range this week to try them out. I had them amplified so I could hear normal sounds. Then, before I could get a round off with my HD shotgun, a guy two lanes over unleashed a hellishly loud full-auto rifle. (The range rents full-autos). Although it was not deafening, it still was not very comfortable. I don't think those amplified muffs were designed to handle full-auto rifles. When he ran out of ammo I quickly put in my foam plugs as well.

However, I figure if those amplified muffs made an extremely loud full-auto rifle endurable then they should work fine in a HD situation. Again, they would be the last thing I went for after arming myself.

Do they alert you when the batteries are about to die? I'd hate to not hear footsteps or voices etc because my noise attenuating headset went tango uniform. Just seems like adding another layer of complexity (and potential failure) without much return.

That's a very good point. They have auto-power off after 4-hours to conserve battery life. A simple schedule of routine battery replacement would ensure they always had power. At any rate, you'd know as soon as you put them on whether or not they were working (you'd either hear normal sounds or not.)

bwalker said:
That's a very good point. They have auto-power off after 4-hours to conserve battery life. A simple schedule of routine battery replacement would ensure they always had power. At any rate, you'd know as soon as you put them on whether or not they were working (you'd either hear normal sounds or not.)

I guess having it as an option can't be a bad thing. Keep in mind the "normal sounds" at 3am are silence so hearing nothing won't be a very good indication of a failed headset. If you're diligent with your battery checks you should be good though.

In my case the "normal sounds" should be two large dogs barking at a disturbance. Here's hoping the day will never come.

I have been cruising the Silence talk forum....I want to build one.....John

Give me a call, I have some easy recipes ;)

Many years ago when I was young and dumb! I was cleaning my shotgun and rembered putting the gun in a safe direction right near a wall, and never seen it coming....it went off. :shock: 00 buck went through the wall and all over the bathroom on the other side. My ears rang for a short time but nothing to bad.

OhioArcher said:
This is a good discussion. But comparing shooting at the range and during a HD situation is like...well, you know.

THE most important part is surviving and protecting your loved ones...or your dog...whatever it is that needs protecting. Will a gun shot in the house be loud?...Yes. Will your ears ring?...Yes. Will earplugs help save your hearing?...Yes, but it will impede your hearing prior to any gunfire. Electronic muffs work but there is a limit to how well they will protect your hearing. I was shooting at the local indoor range with only muffs. They weren't enough so I had to put in earplugs along with the muffs. You may have neither the time nor the ability to use either in an HD situation.

Save your hearing at the range...save your ass in an HD situation.

I like that thought process.

Had a .45 ACP negligent discharge in my bathroom. The gun was pointed to the left and the noise has rendered my left ear still ringing even after 3 years.

I've been lucky to not get that. Though I get random bouts of ringing in my ears, nothing that doesn't go away after a while.

I've been lucky to not get that. Though I get random bouts of ringing in my ears, nothing that doesn't go away after a while.

You're still fairly young, right? It will likely get worse/more frequent as you get older. There's some pretty good info on webmd about tinnitus. There are some things that work for some folks.

Back