• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

535 Slug barrel, NOT in camo?

Shoten

Hatebreed Pit Crew
Sponsor
So I bought the 535 Tactical yesterday, and it's an awesome machine. Took it and my 500 apart side by side to note any differences in parts. And in my discovery, the barrels are NOT directly interchangeable. The trigger housing and most internals are different, but some internals are the same. Like trigger, safety, trigger spring and plunger. Shell stop and interrupter bars are the same. Bottom portion of bolt assembly is the same, but the bolt is not. Action assemblies appear to be the same, but when swapped and installed, they are not. 535 will work on the 500, but not the other way around. It will not slide back enough to operate the shell lifter. Stocks are interchangeable as well.

Any other findings will be updated. In this era of parts being scarce at times, I think it'd be good to have a compatibility list.

With all that being said, now I need a slug barrel for my 535. Anyone have one for sale, preferably NOT in camo?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Side by side are the receivers the same length,or is the 535 a bit longer?

Belay my last. I didn't read it well enough, it is not interchangeable between those shotguns I listed. I also don't know how to the delete a post from my phone. Sorry for the foul up.

Belay my last. I didn't read it well enough, it is not interchangeable between those shotguns I listed. I also don't know how to the delete a post from my phone. Sorry for the foul up.

No need to apologize happens all the time.

The receiver for the 535 is a bit longer, trigger housing is too. But the odd thing is the mag tube is actually smaller... Makes no sense for a gun capable of holding longer rounds.

Last edited:
Never under any circumstances give those losers any business. CTD my a$$...they are cowardly price gougers. and an enemy of all gun owners everywhere.

I got my 930 from there for cheaper than anywhere else I could find it. Ammo and accesories are another story.

I find it odd that a 500 barrel will not work on a 535. My 500 slug barrel, ironically the one I bought of of Shoten, has worked flawlessly on my 835. (Note to any not in the know, I did have to swap the magazine tubes to make it work)

Yeah, I wanted to avoid swapping the tubes. I was hoping that if the barrel would directly fit the 535, then I could go from 535 Tactical barrel to 500 Rifled barrel and vice versa utilizing any barrel or ammo (respectively to the designated barrel) I needed at the time. I like the fact of the 535 shooting 3.5", though I dont even Bird hunt, I wanted the option. Oh well, guess I just have a 500 and 535 now :)

And just ordered a Rifled barrel for the 535, so when it gets here I'll be Porting it, and swapping the sights out for Fiber Optics.
Anyone know off hand if the front sight for the Rifled barrels line up with the Ghost Ring rears?

They are very different guns. My dad has a 500 and I a 535, I did the same thing and tore them apart side by side. I never knew a 500 barrel would work in an 835 though. My dad has an 835 as well so I'll have to look into it.

Got a Rifled barrel (in camo) but I'll strip it. Now my next question:
Where can I get a NON Pinned forend for the 535, the action arms on a 500's aren't long enough to move the bolt and lifter all the way back. So there has to be another one for this model...

I'd give Mossberg a call and try ordering from them.

I wager you'll have a helluva time tracking down the parts anywhere else...

Actually not too bad. Checked with Havlin, great info but couldn't help me get one...

Found on eBay for $45 with a wood forend. Only "problem" is its the 6 3/4 tube, but it's workable.

Anyone need a 6 3/4 Wood forend? Lol

Not corncob, the checkered one. If it were CC style I'd keep it lol

Back