• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 magazine tube and barrel on 535

Well finally I have had success. I'm honestly not sure what was the final trick as I had hit it with a couple of different kinds of break free lubricants. I tried earlier today and again it wouldn't budge, but I was determined to get this thing off!! I sprayed it again, waited a bit then I heated that thing up until I actually saw a bit of smoke!! Got the strap wrench on it, gave it a really hard turn and it made a really awful groan and started to turn!! Thank god it did because I was about to take a hacksaw to that thing!! I attached the finished product. Much better maneuverability with th 20" barrel and the increased mag is the cats meow. Now to fix the old mag tube and sell it and the barrel to fund the stock I want to buy!! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 620
Cochip said:
Well finally I have had success. I'm honestly not sure what was the final trick as I had hit it with a couple of different kinds of break free lubricants. I tried earlier today and again it wouldn't budge, but I was determined to get this thing off!! I sprayed it again, waited a bit then I heated that thing up until I actually saw a bit of smoke!! Got the strap wrench on it, gave it a really hard turn and it made a really awful groan and started to turn!! Thank god it did because I was about to take a hacksaw to that thing!! I attached the finished product. Much better maneuverability with th 20" barrel and the increased mag is the cats meow. Now to fix the old mag tube and sell it and the barrel to fund the stock I want to buy!! :D

glad you got it fixed. :)

i'm jealous over the sights on that 20" barrel. very nice. :D

ewing7 said:
Also got another question, Does anyones for end sound like it scrapes the mag tube when you rack the slide?

Don't think I'm noticing any funny sounds, but I'll know more tomorrow after I run some rounds through her!!

old mossy said:
Cochip said:

glad you got it fixed. :)

i'm jealous over the sights on that 20" barrel. very nice. :D

Thanks Mossy I'm excited to get her sighted in. Those sights were kind of a surprise as I had mainly focused on the length of the barrel. Do you have any suggestions or tips to getting it sighted in right?

ewing7 said:
Also got another question, Does anyones for end sound like it scrapes the mag tube when you rack the slide?

scraping sounds shouldn't be. maybe a little rattling from the forend ok.
i would tear it down, look around, and give it a good cleaning. maybe some crap in there.

i'm jealous over the sights on that 20" barrel. very nice. :D[/quote]

Thanks Mossy I'm excited to get her sighted in. Those sights were kind of a surprise as I had mainly focused on the length of the barrel. Do you have any suggestions or tips to getting it sighted in right?[/quote]

i'd start with some plain old slugs at 20-25 yards.

have fun.
don't forget the range report. ;)

I have a question in relation to this... Will a standard 500 barrel fit the 535, without converting the mag tube? Or is the 535's mag tube longer in general?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

As long as the 500 is a 5 shot tube barrel.
#10342 tube

Just remember if you put a 500 barrel on a 535 you can't shoot 3 1/2" shells anymore.

Last edited:
I know that part of the shell size Mossy, just wasn't sure if the 5 shot standard barrels were interchangeable with the 535.
So, I can get a 535 tactical, and be able to put any of my normal 500 (5 shot) barrels on it. Fit and function it's good to go? Just only use the 500's normal (2.75/ 3) rounds...

There is a final method to this, just want to get things straight first before I buy the 535...

DOES NOT WORK! Tube length is completely different.

I'm thinking something has been changed on your gun.

I can't find him now but there was just a member that had a 500 tube and a 535 tube and he said they were both the same length.(5 shot tubes) He was doing the same thing you are trying.

Brand new gun just purchased. 535 Tactical with Ghost rings, ATI stock, and 20" 535 Barrel. Now the really odd part is the 500's lug sits farther away than the 535's. As if the 535 actually has a shorter tube, or it screws in to the reciever farther than it would on a 500. I placed the barrells side by side, and nope the barrels are way off. Lining up the interlock holes, the lugs end up about 1.5" away from each other. The 500 sits farther out from the Breach. Its wierd but I would have figured, if anything, it would be the other way around.

COPY AND PASTE: Too lazy to re-type it here...

Yeah, I wanted to avoid swapping the tubes. I was hoping that if the barrel would directly fit the 535, then I could go from 535 Tactical barrel to 500 Rifled barrel and vice versa utilizing any barrel or ammo (respectively to the designated barrel) I needed at the time. I like the fact of the 535 shooting 3.5", though I dont even Bird hunt, I wanted the option. Oh well, guess I just have a 500 and 535 now :)

(wifes not too happy though)

Are you sure they are both 5 shot tubes? Sounds like you have a 5 shot tube and a 7 shot tube. That would give you the 1.5" difference??????:confused:

Last edited:
Yes both tubes hold only 5 rounds. Both on the 500 and new 535.
3e7u9y7y.jpg

yrazu4aj.jpg

That's the 535 barrel and 18.5" barrel. The 535 tube and 18.5" barrel when fully seated on the 535....

Looking at that I'd say they do not interchange. Sorry about the mix up.

Just a side not to using MEK.
Be very careful with that stuff.
We used it in the Aerospace field and that stuff is a heavy duty cancer causer.
Lot of ventilation if you find that you need to use it.

Back