• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slimline side saddle?

So I'm turning my mossberg 500a into a tactical style shotgun. I've added the 18.5" barrel and switched out the stock with a Blackhawks knoxx collapsible stock. Now I'm thinking about a side saddle.

I really like the GG&G 4 shot side saddle. I like that it's canted to fit a bantam style forearm, which I'll be installing shortly. I looked at the tac star side saddle, which gets great reviews, but I don't like the plate it uses to install. It appears a bit awkward in the side of the receiver. I've also seen the Velcro style side saddles but that's not really the kind I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is one that mounts directly on like the GG&G or Mesa Tactical, without the plate that extends beyond the side of the receiver, but I'm hesitant about the price tag.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong about how the plate-based side saddles fit onto the receiver? Are the GG&G or Mesa Tactical side saddles worth the extra price tag?

Lucas

Well for those who are curious, I got myself a six shot GG&G side saddle. It's a tight fit for the shells but supposedly it'll loosen up some. We shall see. I'll post as things change.

Well, like I said I got the GG&G. I installed it and all was good. Did it without the thread locker, while it was en route. Thread lock arrived and I removed the ejector bolt to add the thread lock. After dropping a drop into the threads, I screwed it back in, and it wouldn't bite! So I pulled the screw out and took a look.

The screw was fine but the hole on the actual side saddle looked wrong. It was suddenly too big for the screw, the threads were all but gone completely, and there was NO way this was going back together. So now I am minus a side saddle.

I brought it to Quantico Tactical, where it was bought, and they had no idea. They said I should contact GG&G, which I did an hour ago. Let's see how they respond on Monday. I've heard good things about them, I hope they stand behind their product like I think they will.

Just throwing this out there... MESA Tactical is Amazing Stuff. Personal Preference and I wouldn't go any other way.
If you are thinking about mating this shotgun to a Rig I would consider the Velcro side saddle because you can attach more panels to your vest with some velcro from Wally World for like $20 and a nifty sewing machine :) @LAZY EYED SNIPER has a rig set up with Panels on the front. Pretty sweet and I can definitely see where Velcro has the advantage over the aluminum or steel versions.

So on Saturday I wrote this email to GG&G:

"I purchased your 6 shot side saddle for the mossberg 500. I installed it with no issue. I removed it a few days later to install the blue thread locker and when I went to put it back on the screw that replaces the ejector bolt wouldn't bite on the side saddle.

I removed the screw and inspected it. It seemed fine. The side saddle, however, was not. The hole where the screw should've gone is now of larger diameter than the screw is, the threading looks like it's worn away, and there's no way it will hold the screw.

I've heard nothing but good about your company and product. What can I do to get this thing working right again?

Thank you."

This morning I received this response:

"Lucas,
It sounds like the Heli-coil came out. It needs to come back to us for repair. Please call about returning it.
Brant"

I called and he confirmed the lifetime warranty. He told me that if I sent it in I'd get a fixed product. I'm in the middle of moving so I told him I'd get back to him after I had an address. Their response thus far is living up to expectations.

Word...

Unless I'm issued a shotgun overseas again, this will probably be used for range fun, closet duty, scare tactics when I hear noises and my dogs are flipping out (3 times now), and hopefully never a home application. Velcro would work, but I like my toys to be solid and reliable.

Truth be told, I'm mostly a range folk at this stage.

That's why historically I've liked glocks and wood stock guns.

I'm not an instructor and I'm wrong a lot, so I suppose I'm one of the range folks oli's talkin about.

I run ESSTAC cards on a 590 and a 930 and they've held up great for my purposes...

Set my shotgun rig up with Velcro on the AR mag flaps...

It carries two cards back to back in each pouch as well. The elastic on the cards has held up great and is still nice and tight. Haven't dropped a round during fire yet. The adhesive on both receivers has made it through one TN summer so far as well as a couple cleanings...

not only do I not like adhesive on my weapon, I don't like the wear factor of the loop side of the Velcro, hook side lasts ok. I've
worn out so much Velcro at work that I cant believe if you use it with any regularity that it would last as long as any solid shell holder.
Its got some cool features like quick change with shingles and all but the trade off seem to outweigh the cool factor. If it just stays in the safe ok, but that leads to another concern of mine
Another thing I don't like id the elastic shell holder its self.
I have a bandoleer I bought about 10 years ago that will no longer hold a shell to save its life....It didn't get a ton of use either, just time alone took the elasticity out of the elastic loops.
A lot like the Crayola roll mark fill, we simply live in different climates and use our firearms a little different

So I really don't care who uses them or advocates them I think the suck, sorry.

No worries bro.

Some folks really dig sour cream, but I can't stand the stuff. Different strokes for different folks...

lol, that's it good sir, honestly I don't use my side saddle that much, I keep feeding the tube from other sources but figure a side saddle is good reserve

Question.

Your picture shows shells loaded round up and round down, why the change in the middle? Does it add a benefit to have a combination of directions? Or does it just allow you to install it upside down with no effect?

I pulled those in the photo off my 590 with the SpecOps stock.

With that stock I operate the forearm release with my thumb and turning the last two shells upside down allows for the clearance I need. I recently swapped the SpecOps for another Hogue 12" LOP and now all shells in my cards ride upside down as seen from the left side...

I've had the Velcro for over 2 years and it's held up just fine so far. Even through well over 2k rounds and it's kept fully loaded at all times.

If it wears out I'll get another one which is much cheaper to replace. Plus it doesn't interfere with any of the internal components which have caused cycling issues with semi-auto firearms using side saddles which require installation.

For SHTF scenario.... I'm not worried at all about it wearing out. Realistically if I'm effective with my firearm I will be obtaining new firearms as the days, months, years go on quite easily. If I'm not effective I'm pretty sure I wont be worrying about anything anymore since I'm worm bait.

Back