• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Aid Kits

3skulls

.270 WIN
Didn't see a thread just dedicated to First Aid Kits.
I have been working on gathering stuff for my kit and know I'm forgetting things or not thinking of other things.

You guys are always full of good ideas, think outside of the box and have more experience in certain areas.

Let's see your kits and break them down. Long term kits, camping kits, EDC. Might be a good time to check on those expiration dates too.

Is there something you focus on more? Did you come across an awesome deal on large non-stick pads? Let us know.

One thing I'm looking for right now is some little waterproof pill holders. I'm also looking for smaller tubes to hold liquids.

Didn't see a thread just dedicated to First Aid Kits.
I have been working on gathering stuff for my kit and know I'm forgetting things or not thinking of other things.

You guys are always full of good ideas, think outside of the box and have more experience in certain areas.

Let's see your kits and break them down. Long term kits, camping kits, EDC. Might be a good time to check on those expiration dates too.

Is there something you focus on more? Did you come across an awesome deal on large non-stick pads? Let us know.

One thing I'm looking for right now is some little waterproof pill holders. I'm also looking for smaller tubes to hold liquids.

For waterproof pill holders, you should stay away from any plastic containers. Plastics are hygroscopic, which means humidity will be transported thru the plastic and could result in deterioration of the pills over time. Look for something like a metal cigar tube that has a screw top with a seal or that can be sealed with wax.

A small bottle of filtered raw honey should be included in the kit also. Can be used to prevent infection in cuts and scrapes and it tastes good.

Good to know about keeping pills in plastic.

And you are right. Honey is a great antiseptic, never spoils and so very yummy.
I'm hoping to be able to help out with some hives near work. Something I have always wanted to do.

Good info Gunny, Thanks!

Plastic bottles... Think 35mm film canisters. That's what I've used. But now I just use factory packaging.

Are you focusing on trauma or everyday family type issues? Two VERY different applications with VERY different setups.

I focus mine in trauma. I've got a little plastic box in my closet with medicines and band aids, but my training is on trauma, and I've built my first aid kit based off that.

I have:
Sterile gloves
Tourniquets
Saline lock kits
Iv catheters
Iv tubing
Chest needles
Plastic airways
lube
nasopharyngeal airways
Field dressings
Combat action tourniquets
Gauze
Quick clot
Rehydration salts
Sam splint
Finger splits
Tape
Alcohol wipes
Eye dressings
Chest decompression needles
Etc...

I keep them in two old army CLS type bags.

I've had to use them before, but never for anything huge. I very rarely find myself missing something I need.
image.jpg image.jpg

Prevention items should also be included. Insect repellant, water purification, etc. And a book on natural remedies from plants, etc. Sanitation is often a bigger concern than any potential trauma, so knowing how to avoid problems associated with sanitation & hygiene is important, especially if you are prepping for a bug out scenario.

If you're expecting some kind of total collapse of civilization, you might benefit from this small book that was written for the Army in 1917. Tells you what you need to know when there is no electricity or indoor plumbing. Includes detailed sketches for shelters, outhouses, kitchens, incinerators, crematory, etc. I have a hard copy, but you can download it in PDF form here:

Elements of Field Hygiene and Sanitation, by Joseph H. Ford, MD. Download: https://archive.org/details/elementsoffieldh00ford

@Elucase sound like a nice kit, are you in the medical field?

Can you give me a little more info on the Quick Clot? As in good brands, how much would be a good amount to have.
It's something I want in my kit for sure for the motorcycle trips.

Once I get a few more supplies I'll post up some pics.

@GunnyGene I couldn't agree more. prevention is key in most anything.
How large is the hard copy on that book? Small enough to stash in your bag?

@Elucase sound like a nice kit, are you in the medical field?

Can you give me a little more info on the Quick Clot? As in good brands, how much would be a good amount to have.
It's something I want in my kit for sure for the motorcycle trips.

Once I get a few more supplies I'll post up some pics.

@GunnyGene I couldn't agree more. prevention is key in most anything.
How large is the hard copy on that book? Small enough to stash in your bag?

Easily. My copy is 5.25"x7.25"x 3/4". You may be able to find an original on Amazon. I know there are reprints, but don't know about the content or size of them.

Cover.jpg~original

Another very small (shirt pocket size) book that is useful anytime, is Glovers Pocket Reference. They can usually be found at any decent hardware store. Packs an amazing amount of info in a very small package.

As long as were on the subject, I'd also recommend a good compass such as the M2 (check milsurp) and whatever quality topographic maps are relevant for you. I certainly would not rely on GPS or other tech.

Last edited:
I'm not in the medical field. I actually am in the hazmat field. But I've had basic medical training through the army, and had the opportunity to use quite a bit of it over several tours. Coupled with work as a vet tech when I was younger and a year as premed, and I'm comfortable with my competency level.

Quick clot... If I were to use quick clot, it's because it is the ONLY option. It essentially creates a chemical reaction that fuses your blood vessels shut. If you use it you will require surgery afterwards. It is designed as an emergency blood clotting device when your life is definitively on the line.

I only keep one bag around because the need for is so rare that I've never had to personally use it. Even gunshot wounds to joints like the armpit and groin should be stuffed and compressed before that stuff is used.

You'd be better off with large amounts of sterile gauze and two tourniquets.

That reminds me, if you need to use one tourniquet, you need two. I keep over a dozen around for a reason.

In my second picture you can see a green bag labeled combat gauze. That's the brand of quick clot I use.

I would not recommend the M2 compass. Get a standard lenstatic compass. It contains the added function of elevation, which is a good way to confuse the uneducated orienteer. Unless you're hooking up to satellites, shooting artillery or hanging mortars, you don't need it, or the added cost.

elucase, what do you know about the medical non toxic super glue... ive actually used regular super glue many times on small cuts. and i catch a lot of flak about it being toxic. i would like to get some of the medical grade stuff to keep around.

I know nothing about that stuff. However, I've used Elmer's and super glue multiple times for smaller cuts. Never for anything big.

Great info guys, keep it coming!
Good to know about the Quick Clot. I hadn't done any research on it yet but I was thinking it was a if all else fails deal.
Does it expire?

Gunny, I'll look into both of those books. I feel info like that is always good to have, even if you personally know it. You might have to pass it along at some point.
My compass is a Cammenga Model 27 and I also have a cheaper Silva for a backup.

My Rip away EMT pouch came in today so I'm going to start getting everything sorted.

Everything expres. Abolutely everything.

Medication is funny though. It still works after expiration, just not as well.

In iraq we found ipicac that had expired a year earlier. We bet a medic a pack of cigarettes to take it. Took longer than expected, by about 10 minutes, but it worked well. He earned his smokes.

If you know your pets will be with you I'd keep a bottle of this in your med kit helps if they hurt the quick of their nails of get a small cut!

http://m.petco.com/product/6112/Kwik-Stop-Styptic-Powder.aspx

I know your not supposed to use it for cuts but CA glue works for the small cuts any hobby store should have some. Liguid bandaid works pretty good to. If you have a graingers around you they have a great first aid section!

My lab has black toenails, a total pain in the butt to cut. You can't see the blood vessels so accidents happen. I rely on a trick from my vet tech days.

Corn starch.

That's it. It prompts blood clotting, and most of have it in our homes. There's nothing I like more than a multitasker.

When she bleeds I pt corn starch on it, wrap it in gauze, and put a sock on her foot. This sometimes requires some tape to keep it on. It definitely keeps blood off my rug.

Back