• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ruger Rifles

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Picked up this Boy Scouts of America Commemorative Edition 10/22 as a gift for my Pop a couple days ago. The detail in the etchings is amazing...

He's been involved with the Scouts for 60+ years both before and after his military service as an Eagle Scout, a troop leader and as a council member. This BSA edition definitely holds a lot of meaning for him and brought back many great memories...

I have seen pictures of these but they didn't do it justice. That is awesome and a great gift for your Dad to boot.

Yes Sir, I felt the same way when I finally saw it in person.

Spent a LOT of time just lookin at the etchings. They did a great job and my Pop sure likes it...

I got to handle one of these when they came out.. You are absolutely correct. Pictures do not do it justice... Great looking rifle, great shooting rifle and an even greater Gift!!

Now to find some ammo for it ;)

You know, I've owned three 10/22's and I always said I would keep one stock... and they all sported a heavy barrel different sights and new stocks :D

If I had one like that.... I think I'd go to the 10th circle of hell for changing out such a beautiful stock! Great pics!

Thank you Sir.

I know what you mean. I'm one for mod'n the b'cheesus out of all my rifles, but there's no way I would change a thing on this one...

The stock is modular and can be adjusted to fit a growing owner.

A 25 round BX25 magazine would give an all new meaning to plinking.

I need to do some more research on this gun but I just picked it up and I am excited to share. The serial # dates this rifle as a 1996, it is a 186 series. I have been wanting a semiauto rifle and AR's just aren't my thing. This one wears a Butler Creek folding stock and the factory pinned flash hider.

I bought it off of a friend for what he had in it. $800 got me the gun, 3 mags (only one is nickel plated, and only the larger blued one is actually marked Ruger), made in China side mount scope, and 300 mixed rounds of .223 and 5.56

anyone here know a good forum for mini 14s/Rugers in general? DSC07186.jpg DSC07209.jpg

Congrats on the Mini14. Mine is a s/s ranch rifle from 1994. Linejudgemick called it rights. Perfectununion.com is the Mini14 place to go. Do you have any plans for it? They are known for throwing brass halfway across the county and not being as accurate as an AR. On the plus side they are very dependable little carbine. I added a smaller bore gas block bushing to help with the brass and an accu strut to improve the accuracy. Great Western Gunsmithing seems to be a good place for getting improvements like the gas block bushings, trigger jobs, recrowning, bedding etc. Post up how you like shooting it.

Congrats on the Mini14. Mine is a s/s ranch rifle from 1994. Linejudgemick called it rights. Perfectununion.com is the Mini14 place to go. Do you have any plans for it? They are known for throwing brass halfway across the county and not being as accurate as an AR. On the plus side they are very dependable little carbine. I added a smaller bore gas block bushing to help with the brass and an accu strut to improve the accuracy. Great Western Gunsmithing seems to be a good place for getting improvements like the gas block bushings, trigger jobs, recrowning, bedding etc. Post up how you like shooting it.

I got to shoot it once, at 100 yards with stock peep sights it got 120 rounds into a 10" circle. Which I am perfectly happy with, I thought since this was an older model before they made improvements for accuracy that it would be so horrible it won't hit the broad side of a barn. Good enough for what it is. It also shoots slightly right so I will have to adjust it next time I am at the range.

I cleaned it when I got back and the gas block was almost clogged, not sure when that happened. The gun was filthy inside...back side of factory handguard which is supposed to be shiny aluminum was coated black. The barrel was black. There was some sort of sticky red substance in the trigger group and between the rear of the receiver and the stock. I used a half roll of paper towels and 30 or so q-tips to clean the gun. Does it get this filthy normally?

Ruger factory 30 round magazine functions best of the 3 mags. The ammo just seems to click into it so much more smoothly. I had a malfunction from the nickel plated magazine, not a misfire but unless I loaded the bullets absolutely perfectly aligned to one another the bolt would go forward but wouldn't strip a round from the magazine. The small magazine is supposed to be a 10 rounder but holds 15 and it worked just fine although doesn't feel as nice as the Ruger mag.

Other than the above magazine problem with the nickel plated mag, the gun ran flawlessly. it throws brass everywhere. I am happy.

edit: I think a bedding job would help accuracy of this gun. The Butler Creek stock isnt bad but it could be improved on. However, the Mini has to wait. I am going to turn my Remington 700 into a project first.

Last edited:
Back