• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Epic FAiL

I got the bulk of what I was waiting on. I still haven't gotten the inch mags I ordered, but I did get the new +5% wolf spring for my old mag though, so that should keep the gun in action in the meantime.

I have been wanting to try one of the newer Israeli front grips that were similar to the magpul afg and I like it. While I don't think one is better than the other, this one does feel a little different in the hand due to the larger surface area in the front.

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-foregrips/id-699/ergonomic-pointing-grip.html

I also got the long harris bipod in today and I believe that it's going to work well for me. Now, I should be able to just sit and hunt with it if I wanted, or if anyone were inclined, could still go prone with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Harris-Engineering-1A2-H-Solid-Base/dp/B000JJGZII

And the icing on the top was the Ergo suregrip which I liked a lot better than the OEM grip and the Vltor casv forend.

View attachment 5671

While I wasn't really ecstatic over how expensive the forends are, I found one at a lot better deal than msrp, so thankfully it didn't hurt as bad, but it is a well designed and nice piece of gear nonetheless.

View attachment 5669

View attachment 5670

That is one super SEXY machine Sir.

Looks like you've got it set up just right for your intended use. The forend looks great! Once I tried those Ergo grips I haven't used anything else since, they're super comfortable...

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm glad that I was able to fix that one up the way I wanted. I feel very fortunate to be able to do that. I'm looking forward to shooting it again.

I'm sure that now that there is a stable set of legs on the front, my group should shrink considerably.

When I was zero'ing it, I was just using a shooting stick to kind of steady it, and the wind was really moving the crosshairs around because it was a decent left to right side wind and I was trying to take my shots between little gusts, so I'm anxious to see what it can do now.

As for the Ergo grip, I've used them on my AR's before and they're alright, but this one dramatically changed the grip angle compared to the OEM grip. A lot !!

And living in the south, with the humidity and sweat that we have in the summer, I could foresee that OEM grip would be very slippery and be a chore to hang on to during the height of summer. The suregrip will be a lot better in that regard, and somewhat matches the texture of the buttstock too.

I have picked up several goodies for the gun.

The lowest set of rings I could find (that would fit) were the Warne Maxima rings. It's not bottomed out on the handguard rail, but there isn't even enough room to slide on the scope cover between them now. Which is fine because I've been keeping it in a double rifle hard case, so there shouldn't be too much dust and stuff around the glass and I know how to clean it if it does get dusty. :lol:

Also, the DSA metric mags were inadequate at best. This receiver prefers inch mags. Or in this case, moses mags, which are about as nice of a mag as you can find for them.

I ordered a few Canadian or British L1A1 mags from numrich gun parts and they were total junk. They looked like they had been found in a shipwreck at the bottom of a silt pond. Especially at $35 bucks a pop. Those mags shouldn't even be worth $7.95 considering they're rustier than a junkyard and would need stripped and refinished at the very least. And they still didn't lock up as tight as the moses mags.

But the Moses mags locked up so tight that I could probably carry the gun around by the mag if I wanted now. There is no wiggle, no wobble, and they have anti-tilt followers (and mag body internals obviously), and they locked the bolt back every single time, unlike the DSA metric mags, which were one big let down after another.

I have a few more of the moses mags incoming as I type this because I liked them so well.

holli004_zps3abeb68c.jpg

holli005_zpsc39fdd2a.jpg

holli007_zpsaeba24af.jpg

Yeah, I usually do too. So long as I can get a good cheek weld and fast sight picture.

The rings I had on it before, was just one of my AR take-off's that was laying around.

It had a peep hole that let you see through the mount to see the front iron, which I appreciated, but now that I put the lower rings on, I can get my cheek a lot lower on the handguard, and can even get a nice comfy nose to charging handle stance that I am accustomed to (yes, I know it's not an AR, but old habits are hard to break), but was comfortable to me.

I was even able to move the scope forward more than it was before because the eye relief was better once I was getting a better cheek weld, so the gun should hold a better group now too because I don't have to adjust my cheek weld when using the scope.

And with the old rings being so high above the barrel, may have explained some of why I had to go so many clicks zeroing it the first time out too.

Though now I'm going to have to zero it over again. Oh bother (LOL)

I also have some Federal XM80 in 7.62x51 to put through it now too, since it should be loaded more consistently than the Wolf brand, should get me dialed in a bit closer, so we'll see how it shoots once I get everything lined out. With any luck, I may be able get it out sometime before Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Seems like a great set-up.

Just swapped scope mounts on a couple of mine a few weeks ago and had to re-zero them both. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it... :cool:

Just gives me an excuse to shoot more LOL

I don't remember bringing it up before, but I checked the headspace on the gun with a set of gauges and the chamber is still in decent shape.

I spoke with one of the techs' at Forster and was going to get a set of 7.62x51 gauges for it, but he recommended the 308 instead.

I asked him why and he said that many of the x51 and 308 gauges overlapped each other, or were the same, but he said that the go gauge would've been just a hair longer than minimum, and the no go and field gauges would've been a hair shorter than maximum, which pretty much would run the gamut of what to expect. Matter of fact, he said the 308 field and the 7.62x51 Max gauge were one in the same.

Long story short, the bolt closed on the go gauge, closed on the no go gauge (just ever so barely), but would not close on the field.

Which means that while the chamber is a little worn (due to being a surplus barrel and many of them being set a touch deeper for reliability purposes not unlike many other service rifles), it still has a lot of life left in it.

I don't expect the gun to perform like a hand tuned M24 precision/sniper rifle, though I do expect it to perform at least as good as a designated marksman barrel or a little better with quality ammo and given if I do my part. If I get a 3 shot group under 2 moa or less @ 100 yards with good conditions, I'll be pretty content because that will get me in "the zone" out to 400-500 if I were to ever push it out that far, which realistically, don't expect to be even out to 350 tops, and likely far less.

I was able to rezero with the new rings after the add-ons this evening.

While zero'ing, I was using 2 shot groups so as to be able to spot the group better at that distance (100 yards), and the gun was keeping them really darn tight.

@oli700 , you were asking about groups, I would say it's more than acceptable. The bullseye was traced from the mouth of a disposable plastic cup.

Here was the first two shots with the Federal XM80 7.62x51

wolf fal 2.png

And here's the first two with wolf steel case 308

federal fal 2.png

Sorry that I didn't take any pics after I walked the crosshair over, but I'm content with how she shoots nonetheless. Once zero'd, I was picking off empty quart bottles with little effort at all.

She's a keeper for sure.

That is one super SEXY machine Sir.

Looks like you've got it set up just right for your intended use. The forend looks great! Once I tried those Ergo grips I haven't used anything else since, they're super comfortable...
Actually LES...it's a sexy BEAST!! I love that thing John!! Looks absolutely fantastic and downright terrifying!! I don't think I could be anymore jealous..........

I was able to rezero with the new rings after the add-ons this evening.

While zero'ing, I was using 2 shot groups so as to be able to spot the group better at that distance (100 yards), and the gun was keeping them really darn tight.

@oli700 , you were asking about groups, I would say it's more than acceptable. The bullseye was traced from the mouth of a disposable plastic cup.

Here was the first two shots with the Federal XM80 7.62x51

View attachment 5732

And here's the first two with wolf steel case 308

View attachment 5733

Sorry that I didn't take any pics after I walked the crosshair over, but I'm content with how she shoots nonetheless. Once zero'd, I was picking off empty quart bottles with little effort at all.

She's a keeper for sure.
hell yes, that's what I'm talking about. The rifle I shot would not do that , probably 3 or 4 moa at best

I would be distraught if it would only do 4 moa. I know an old man or two that can do that good with irons and rickety old single shot rifles they've owned since they were kids.

Just casually shooting, I can keep the rounds within whatever diameter the plastic cup lid is. When I really try, the gun makes it look like I know what I'm doing LOL

It's safe to say that the gun shoots better than I do.

@cmcdonald I did this just for you:

Thanks John! Appreciate all the visuals on that baby! Very accurate piece of hardware...something to be very proud of!! You can have a dead accurate rifle and a crappy shooter and not hit a darn thing...your technique plays a big part. You're too modest Sir!!

That isn't really an ideal (or very stable) shooting position, but it worked for readjusting the scope for the new rings.

If it was an important shot, the shooting stance would be a lot different.

Back