• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best price for .223/5.56

Just curious to see what type of deals everyone has found on .223/5.56 ammo lately, also what you like to shoot for range/hunting if you hunt with these calibers!!

.... and GO!

The LGS and WalMart's around here have plenty going for about .45-.50 $/round. Following it on the net, it looks like it look like many options are out there in the .35-.42 $/round range but you need to factor in shipping. The link had some PRVI Partisan M193 FMJ for .37 $/round which is as cheap as I have seen since Newtown for that ammo.

http://ammoseek.com/

Import are usually the least expensive, though is far from being the most accurate.

Or cleanest.

or even most consistent.

Been picking up Fed. XM193, XM855, & AE223J at Academy for $6.99-$8.99/20rd box. Also picked up a small 120rd plastic can of XM193 for $59.99 there a couple weeks ago. Stopped in earlier this week and noticed prices had been raised significantly...

Wally World had 100 rd boxes for slightly over $40. Last time I hit a gunshow (about 3-4 months ago) you could get 1k for $319. They were not factory loads but the company has a solid reputation with several local high volume shooters using their stuff without any issues. F&S in KY is high as is Bass Pro.

freedom munitions are selling new factory loads for $0.379 per round plus shipping.

i get email notifications from Aim Surplus and SGAmmo both when they get Wolf in, i paid 7.29 per 20 for brass case, and 5.79 per 20 for steel case last week.

Boy do I miss the days fifteen years ago when I could stroll into any Wal-Mart and buy Remington-UMC or WWB in 20-rd boxes for $2.99~$3.49 each.

I was at Reed's Gun Shop/Range in San Jose today and they have 120 round of 5.56 for 59.99 (plus tax 8.75%) - $65.25 per box or $0.54 per round.
Not sure what the specs are for the rounds but its not bad for a range.
Other places around town are pushing $15 for a box of 20!!

Hard to beat Freedom Munitions prices, especially when they have their blaster stuff listed...it's clean, it cycles well, it's consistent and the brass is in good to excellent condition.

They have box of 55gr FMJ remanufactured 500 for $178 plus shipping. Not bad at ~$.36 a piece plus shipping.

Yeah FM is pretty much all I buy when I buy bulk now. Prices are great and ammo is consistent.

i had some issues with their .45. i had two rounds that the case snagged going into the chamber, failed to go into battery and upon inspection there was actually a wrinkle, or kink in the edge of the casing. and it appeared that the bullet was deeper in the case. and one round that was physically shorter than all the rest. i dont know if there is a .45 "short" manufactured but thats what it appeared to be. other than that it does pretty good. have not had any issues with their 9mm, still have plenty to burn up. but for cheap ammo i think i will shoot more steel case. ive been shootin wolf a lot and not had any issues at all.

Has anyone noted the prices this week on ammoseek? Skipping the Wolf and Tula, you can get 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle for $330. That was $380-$390 4-6 weeks ago. Freedom Munitions has M193 for $350/1000 and LAX Ammunition has M855 green tips for $360/1000. All are down nicely from March. 9mm on ammoseek is also down. The only thing not really down is .22 :mad:

http://ammoseek.com/

Haven't been lookin at bulk much, but the Federal packs at WalMart have been back in stock at pre-FUBAR prices. $39.99 for 100 rounds...

I ordered some 9mm 147 gr from freedom munitions, and it was one big screw up after another.

First, their site says shipping in 3-5 days.

Then about a week later, they have a sale with free shipping or something and apparently got swamped.

My order went out on the 16th (more than 2 weeks after I placed it), then ups lost it for almost a full 2 weeks, then I finally got it.

Or at least half of it because they only shipped half of my order.

I called, they were apologetic and shipped out the other half of my order, which arrived one month and 5 days after I initially placed the order.

I am not inclined to buy anything else from them. I can do without the aggravation and drama.

@carbinemike , I have been watching the prices. I have picked up several boxes of ammo lately.

@John A. - ouch! I usually recommend FM because of their prices, but I think their success has blown them up past the point where they can manage it successfully...have seen a lot of comments similar to yours on other sites...

Back