• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

All purpose gun

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I was recently given my wifes' late stepfathers NEF Pardner singleshot .410

After checking the serial with the factory, turns out it was made in 2000. And the good thing about that is NEF's barrel program for the pardner series started in 2000, which allows for numerous barrels to be fitted to that gun, much like the handi-rifle, though the pardner series doesn't accept big bore rifle calibers.

So, after finding out the particulars from the factory rep, I got the service request number from them to purchase 4 barrels for that gun and set it up for my "all purpose" receiver that will allow me as much versatility as an AR but easier with just a simple barrel swap.

The barrels that I reserved were:

A 28 inch 20 gauge full choke (which I do not own a 20 ga so I need one in my collection)
A 22 inch 12 gauge w/fixed mod choke (just because I like 12's)
A 38/357 magnum barrel with scope mount (which I plan to cut down to 16 inches and thread for my suppressor since 38 special are always subsonic so it should be Sshhhh!!! And the 357 will give me more than enough for brush hunting whitetail)
A 44 Magnum barrel with scope mount for the big stuff.

And counting the 410 barrel that came from the factory, is 6 different calibers/gauges from a single receiver long gun.

I like the thought of that. I think most of us are already well versed in using breakdown shotguns, so it should give me a lot of bang for the buck.

I wasn't really expecting her to give me the gun. She just called me up out of the blue and asked if I wanted to come by and get it.

Not being one to turn down a gift, especially a gun from a late family member to keep in the family, I think it could be a fun project. A little something for everyone.

Small calibers for the young'uns to learn on that won't hurt them in recoil or the "sound sensitive", up to real world "put food on the table" functional tools.

I think I'm going to call Brooks at Thompson Machine and ask them if they'll thread the 357 barrel for me. I know they make suppressed 357 handi rifle barrels for their company. So they probably already have the tooling to thread the tapered barrel without too much fuss.

I have embedded it here before and has been on my list for a while, but here's a quick youtube video of them shooting one of their suppressors on the 38/357 handi rifle.

And another video using 357 magnum hand loads through various cans.

Not a handi rifle but 38 through a suppressor anyway.

From 410 to 44 magnum, that one little gun should be able to handle anything on the North American continent.

I plan to send it off by Monday. I hope it doesn't take them too long to fit the barrels and get everything back to me.

NEF 001.JPG

NEF 002.JPG

NEF 004.JPG

Thanks guys. I have been wanting to do something similar to this for a long time.

As for this gun itself, it probably hasn't had 2 boxes of shells through it since it was made. I know for fact that it hasn't been fired in at least 4 years now for sure. My wifes' stepfather past away 3 years ago and he was pretty bad off a while before that.

The lady I spoke to on the phone at NEF said the receiver would have to pass inspection prior to any work being done. I told her that shouldn't be a problem. ;)

I broke it down for the pictures and other than having a coat of dust and a few spots of surface (flash rust) on the receiver from being in the back of a closet, there were no structural or integrity issues.

Awesome.

I started on a gun similar to this and still love single shots. One can get pretty fast with one of those if you practice, and they are a lot lighter to carry all day than a pimp/semi.

John A.~

That's going to provide you with years and years of fun! You know that they will do a trigger job on their rifles if requested....

@nitesite I did not know they'd do a trigger job. But that is definitely something I'd be interested in.

Especially once I got the 357 and 44 mag barrels scoped for hunting.

Which speaking of, I ordered two illuminated CF500 reticle Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 scopes, 2 sets of heavy duty high rings, a hammer extension and coyote shotgun scabbard before going to bed last night.

@MikeD it would definitely be lighter than carrying a pimp or semi around.

LOL--just ribbing you buddy. Damn auto correct LOL

Well... CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

They have done trigger lightening jobs on their guns for years and years for something like $20 but now that CERBERUS is over them now I see this:

http://support.hr1871.com/General_Information/What_should_the_trigger_pull_be,_and_can_I_have_it_lowered?

Oh, well. It can still be done by any competent smith if you ever feel the need. It was just nice to have the factory do it when the receiver was already in their shop, and at a super low price.

Here's an idea: Maybe they don't "recommend" it but if asked they will still perform the lightening job when requested. I'd bet there is a good possibility that it could still happen.

What a great windfall to have the legacy gun come your way AND to be able and ready to give it new life with current connections rather than a life on a shelf and the occasional shoot and clean!!

The family certainly made a good choice - looking forward to hearing more!!

We're all pretty close. My family knows I'll take care of it despite putting it to use sometimes.

I think that he would've smiled on the thought of using it for so many things.

And would've probably been insulted to "never" use it.

He wasn't that way.

Sure, he'd take care of his stuff, but he wasn't the kind of guy that was afraid to get his hands dirty either.

Matter of fact, he worked his way all the way up to mine foreman (the position he held upon his retirement), and even through the big union strikes and stuff that went on here at Manalapan and Eastover mines @ Brookside.

Maybe I'll take a picture of his mining hat with the 10 year Eastover sticker on it with the gun before I send it off. That would be very fitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_County,_USA

The gun is on its' way to them yesterday for the extra barrels. I also wrote on the bottom of the service invoice and asked for a trigger job if possible, though in all fairness, the trigger is pretty nice as it is. It has a really good break to it despite the hammer swing.

I have found a company that will cut and thread the 357 barrel when I get it back so it appears that all of my ducks are in a row.

The scopes and rings are in the safe, and the hammer extension is on it already. :D

"This is to provide notification that we have received your firearm/part that was shipped.
We will strive to return your Remington product as quickly as possible."

OK, the clock is running. Curious how long it's going to take them to pull 4 barrels and check the headspace with that frame and get everything back to me.

Not that I'm in a huge hurry or anything ;)

Back