• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

About that warning shot....

My belief has always been if you have enough time to fire a warning, then you're probably not in enough imminent danger to justify the use of deadly force. Every situation is different but that's my general rule.

My belief has always been if you have enough time to fire a warning, then you're probably not in enough imminent danger to justify the use of deadly force. Every situation is different but that's my general rule.

As a general rule yes I agree. But there are times a warning shot could be appropriate. For example the lady down in FL who is placed in jail for shooting a warning shot at her abusive husband who wouldn't retreat after the presentation of the weapon.... she was backed up with no exit so she shot next to him into the wall allowing her to escape.

As a general rule yes I agree. But there are times a warning shot could be appropriate. For example the lady down in FL who is placed in jail for shooting a warning shot at her abusive husband who wouldn't retreat after the presentation of the weapon.... she was backed up with no exit so she shot next to him into the wall allowing her to escape.
Ah, but fail to mention on minor detail. To be fair, u gotta tell the whole story. She went OUT her car and retrieved her weapon, then came back in the house. She was already at her car, why didn't she just leave to safety and call the police? But no, she decided to take matters in her own hands. Apparently, she wasn't in that much danger.

Regardless, she didn't deserve 20 years in the pen for it. I have two different homeboys, different cases, go to prison for murder and got out in 10 and 12 years.

FL law changed recently where a warning shot is not deemed illegal discharge with mandatory jail time. In the case in JAX where the woman for got 20 years for firing shots at her husband, the case is being retried because the judge is a moron. He instructed the jury to basically make a decision based on being guilty and was there sufficient evidence to prove her innocent.

A warning shot creates both tactical and potential legal issues. The discharge of any firearm constitutes use of deadly force and if you do not believe your life is in imminent danger than that force should not bused. It showcases your position and costs you a round.

I fired a warning shot this last weekend. Truck full of idiots tried to snag my 500 yard target……while I was setting up to shoot it. This old road ran parallel to it, no one uses it. Get everything set up and I hear a truck, hear all the people in the back yell, “stop, stop !!”……..they stop, they pile out and start through the woods right toward my target. I was going to yell out there when they got close but my buddy on the spotting scope a little way from me yells “ they’re going for the target, FIRE A ROUND”….I fire a quick 5 ……you never saw hillbillies run so fast, pile back in the truck “go,go,go!!!”….had a good laugh, and I feel a warning shot or 5 was appropriate in that situation as opposed to shooting them for theft, what kind of idiot tries to steal a target

I fired a warning shot this last weekend. Truck full of idiots tried to snag my 500 yard target……while I was setting up to shoot it. This old road ran parallel to it, no one uses it. Get everything set up and I hear a truck, hear all the people in the back yell, “stop, stop !!”……..they stop, they pile out and start through the woods right toward my target. I was going to yell out there when they got close but my buddy on the spotting scope a little way from me yells “ they’re going for the target, FIRE A ROUND”….I fire a quick 5 ……you never saw hillbillies run so fast, pile back in the truck “go,go,go!!!”….had a good laugh, and I feel a warning shot or 5 was appropriate in that situation as opposed to shooting them for theft, what kind of idiot tries to steal a target

That's wasn't a warning shot, they shouldn't have entered a HOT range. ;-D

In the situation described above, things take on a whole different atmosphere. The circumstances and those involved indicate a need to a certain degree though the same hillbillies coulda shot back. They're known for that and now guess what? You escalated the situation.

depends on who's law you believe in but here are the facts in a nutshell

I was firing at a target, I didn't shoot at anyone, lets not use our imaginations because no where in my story did I say I shot at them or even in their direction, did I ?
I fired rounds in a safe direction, now if they shot at me that's taking and escalating the situation because they had no business trying to hike 100 yards off the road to snag a target that someone may be shooting at.
They did the right thing by high tailing it out of there, I had that field ranged , had a prone position and was sitting on 210 rounds in mags.....
Classic case of self defense at 500 yards, shooting AT me may have been the stupidest thing they ever did in their lives, right next to trying to steal a target someone was shooting at.

This is not the East Coast my friends, we are quite uncivilized out this way, and that's how we like it

This is not the East Coast my friends, we are quite uncivilized out this way, and that's how we like it
Lol on that. I wish you well keeping it that way. For the record PA still has places that are like you describe up in the mountains and coal region areas although I'm sure less than were there 100 or even 50 years ago. You don't screw with people, especially if you are an outsider. I imagine in Appalachia a lot of places are still like this. People that want to head for the hill if the SHTF will find the hills less than friendly.

Last edited:
Last time I saw someone steal anything out of the farmers field I shoot in the farmer took there truck wile they were in the bar still had his stuff in the back so he just parked it back so the stuff in the back of the truck was exactly where they took it from and can you believe those young lads were nice enough to come unload it for him. I don't worry to much about leaving any of my stuff out there anymore

Back