• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

7.62x39 Bullpup

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As many of you know, a while back I came across a really clean Chinese SKS. I hadn't really planned on picking it up, but temptation got the better of me.

So, in having a pre-89 Norinco that is completely in its' OEM form already, I recently decided to set the new one up entirely differently and my plan was to modernize it for fast target acquisition and moving quickly.

By that, I mean I plan to bullpup the crap out of it LOL

Or in other terms, bubba it up.

So far, just about everything I planned to do is ordered, but here's a quick list of things that should start arriving in the next several days.

SGWorks Bullpup stock that closely resembles the IWI TAR-21.

sks-bullpup-stock-kit-crop-520x270.png

While I have never shot a Tavor, they look pretty ergonomic and compact and good for close to intermediate distances. And since the 7.62x39 was also designed for about the same distances, and with more oomph than the 556, I thought it would make an even better combination.

The SGworks stocks have been out for quite a while and they've gone through several little tweaks and changes over the years. I have only came across 1 negative review and there are A LOT of very positive ones.

To stay within that stupid 922 foolishness, the gun already has several 922 parts in it (US made mags, piston, op rod, firing pin), but at the last minute, I decided to shorten the barrel, thread it for an US made A2 flash hider that should also count toward 922 compliance as well, which will put me well above the required parts count. And that's not counting the stock itself and the top handguard.

The barrel length is about 17-3/4" after I chopped it earlier and the OAL of the barreled receiver is 26 3/4", which puts me barely over NFA tax stamp territory.

Neither of those measurements include the flash hider and the buttstock itself will also add about an inch to the OAL, so any way it is measured and counted or looked at, it's still in title 1 classification.

But barely
icon_twisted.gif

I am going to thread the barrel 14mm-1 standard left hand thread while I am going just so I can keep as many things uniform standard combloc as possible.

When everything gets here, I plan to rig up a single point sling mount, front/rear flip up sights, probably my spare N cell Eotech/Bushnell Holosight, magpul front grip and who knows what else may cross my mind yet.

But so far, the OEM sight/bayonet lug is pulled, the rear leaf sight, stock and handguard is in deep storage and the barrel was shortened and crowned for now. Everything else will progress in the coming weeks as parts get here and I have time to work on it.

sks bullpup 003.JPG

That's cool. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

wow !, that is going to be way cool !

And since the 7.62x39 was also designed for about the same distances, and with more oomph than the 556, I thought it would make an even better combination.

dude...build that bull pup, I'll buy you a plane ticket, we'll start at 300y ? lol. Just developing loads for the AR10 so you can leave your FAL at home, for now. We have it touching holes at 200 with a 16x scope with some 168 hpbt

Last edited:
I don't have the skills to make holes touch at 100, let alone at 200. I'm just happy getting them in the general area of where I'm pointing.

49a320716f557b060ebf4007b22f55df.jpg

(Get it? Broad side of a barn)

LOL, I have been reading and looking at the sight for the stock, I am in love with it......going to be adding one to the line up.....just way way cool

flip sights were in todays' incoming mail.

Front grip supposed to be here tomorrow.

Stock is scheduled for next Tuesday.

Flash hider, die wrench, die, and centerfinder die guide is unknown eta, but processed.

Oli, here is an installation video from the folks who designed the kit. It goes step by step and looks do-able with minimal fuss.

And if you want to cut/thread your barrel (not necessary, but I'm going to do mine), I know where you'll be able to pick up the tools about half price once used if you wanna go in halves on them with me. I can show you the invoices if that is something that interests you, will look something like this when done. Plus the US made hider is a bonus where the law is concerned and may help some with flash to boot.

Example of the approximate length and threaded barrel. Pic isn't mine, it was listed in the sgworks website under their owners submissions http://sgworks.com/feedback/page/3/

I am real curious if it'll accept a drum mag? (just thinking out loud here)

James-W.-11-9-12-KY-520x390.jpg

I am excited about this....reading about compliance....don't think our SKS is there.

USA made mags 3 parts
Buttstock 1 part
Subtract top handguard should count to your favor since a foreign part is not there. I am unsure if they classify the top rail of the new stock as a handguard or not, but that one is made in the US regardless so that is 5 US made parts just right there.

US made gas piston is another (I have one in mine, no problem and highly recommended buying this one) http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-Gas-Pis...595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258fadc36b

If you install a US made flash suppressor will count as another compliance part http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29802

That will have me at having less than the 10 foreign parts/assemblies on the gun and thus compliant.

I like my CPRS SKS.

I think I like yours more.

Very much looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Sent from my metacarpals to your ocular receptors

Got the tools in todays mail.

Being the impatient bloke that I am, I wasted no time threading the barrel.

sks barrel thread 001.JPG

For some reason, I mis-read the flash hider product page and thought a crush washer came with it, but I was wrong, so I ordered an AR10 crush washer from brownells so I can time the A2 flash hider. Until then, I screwed it on hand tight just to protect the threads, and realistically, I could use it "as is" for the time being anyway, but it'll be a few days before I'll be able to give it a run for its' money anyway so I am not in a hurry.

sks barrel thread 004.JPG

After checking to make sure the threads were alright, I hit them with some birchwood casey cold blue to help prevent rusting underneath of the hider.

sks barrel thread 002.JPG

sks barrel thread 006.JPG

With any luck, will be tomorrow evening.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks brother.

I'm on a mission to do this bullpup just the way I want it.

I even stepped out of my comfort zone chopping the barrel and threading it. And with the exception of re-crowning the barrel, was done with nothing more than hand tools.

But now that's behind me, I'm getting even more anxious to finish it.

I think it will be a very formidable tool.

Not had a chance to run it yet, but it is together and safety check is a go.

"some assembly required" is an understatement though. I was 2 hours getting this thing fitted and together.

I had to do some pretty extensive fitting to mine to get the main stock body onto the barreled receiver and to get the trigger group to snap in, but now that it's on there, everything is tight and aligned well, which honestly I prefer to have to hand fit it than have a loose sloppy rattley gun, so I am not complaining. But it was more than I expected to have to do. Perhaps some other guns would not be as rough.

I have the latest gen stock and I like most of the new enhancements. The thumb screws on the forend (rather than allen screws) are appreciated, the safety button is painted white/red (safe fire), the little wire and receiver cover rod has been redesigned (omitted), the ejection port cover has been redesigned, and the surface of the grip and places where you will touch is textured very similar to the way that the magpul front grip looks/feels.

The big negatives that I have found is the extended mag release needs to have a steeper bend because it's a very long reach to engage it, which being thin metal should not be too hard to bend myself to do better.

I also wish that all of the allen screws all used the same size allen wrench as well but they don't, but I may see about finding some that are all the same, because I am a big fan of KISS.

Also, I am going to have to get used to mag changes. I am definitely slow and it is a bit foreign to me. I am also pinching my thumb and pinky between the mag and the front grip during mag changes, but maybe with some practice it will improve, but I am really digging how it is handling otherwise.

I checked the sizes of everything just so I know what everything is.

Overall Length: 29 1/8"
Barrel length (including flash hider): 19 1/4"
weight: 9.8 lbs--includes sling hardware, flip up sights , optic and empty mag

Anyway, here's a few pics

sks bullpup 007.JPG

sks bullpup 008.JPG

sks bullpup 010.JPG

That's too cool John!

I'm really lookin forward to your impressions after you have a chance to send a few down range, particularly how the trigger feels...

Roger that. I sure will.

As for just dry firing it, the trigger is not as bad as I expected. The pull is long, but it's as crisp as the sks trigger ever was when it breaks.

The trigger can be somewhat adjusted and I may tinker with it to get rid of some of the travel in the future, but it doesn't feel bad at all to me now. Just a little long. You can easily feel when the tension is all taken up right before the trigger breaks. Similar to a 2 stage trigger with a very light first stage. That's really the only way I can think of to explain it short of handing it to you.

I don't know really how, but the pull weight seems like it may be a little lighter than it was before. Perhaps it's by the cam design they used (which you can see in the 2nd part of the video above how it goes together), but it's serviceable.

I made a couple little tweaks to the stock. The first was to remove some of the plastic where I was pinching my finger when swapping mags. I actually removed the same amount on both sides so it would "look" good, but just removing the material on the left side was all that was needed.

In this first pic, you can see how sharp the edge is, especially near the rear of the opening.

sks bullpup 012.JPG

Here is an exaggerated view of the "pinch point" when removing the mag that I mentioned bugging me earlier.

sks bullpup 014.JPG

And after a few seconds marking where the guides realistically needed to be

sks bullpup 015.JPG

sks bullpup 017.JPG

And after a few seconds with Mr. Dremel

sks bullpup 018.JPG

Now mag changes were faster and I didn't pinch a blood blister on my pinky.

Back