• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Esstac side saddle

GR00VY

I am really liking these. The fact there is no modification is awesome. I have a question for anyone running on of these. What type of velcro are you using for your receiver? What prep is necessary for your receiver? Any problems with removing the velcro and it removing finish from receiver? Also, I assume you place the same velcro on the shell holder, correct?

I looked at the 3 gun gear one as well pretty sure thats the one im getting as well! 2" wide industrial grade velcro works well too! I have some gun scrubber from walmart seems to remove oil pretty well. I have shot cards to I planned to get the velcro for my hard case to keep them in place intead of on the gun!

3gungear side saddles can be made the way you want. It is pretty nice. I think I may go that route as well

I used a 3 gun gear Velcro strip and it held up pretty nice till I accidentally poured some hopes 9 on it and didn't notice...

For the time I used it it worked well, and for $5 bucks it's not a bad deal to be getting a pre cut one, but industrial Velcro from Walmart is no different and you get more of it in case you pull the same shenanigans I did. I also have a 3 gun gear shell card, as well as an estac... Both are too similar to rate above the other, and both are quality pieces of gear.

I ordered a couple of 3gungear velcro side saddles after reading about them elsewhere on the forum. They never came. I emailed and called numerous times over a five month period. Never heard a word from the guy. Finally bagged it and picked up a Mesa 6-shell side saddle. You'd think when I filled out "mossbergowners.com" as where I'd heard of him that I'd at least receive the slightest courtesy but got completely blown off by 3gungear. My experience for what it's worth.

Got 2 esstac cards through skd tactical took advantage of their sale things went smoothly I just put the velcro on my receiver today the 7 shot cards look bad azz!

Howdy GROOVY.

I've got ESSTAC set-ups on my 590 and 930 and used 2" Velcro Sticky Back Industrial Strength Tape. Picked it up at hobby lobby I think, but have seen it at WalMart and several other places. It's only a few bucks for ten feet or so. Only prep I did was use a little BC Gun Scrubber to degrease the receivers and then slapped on the Velcro. You only need to apply the soft "loop" side of the Velcro to the shotgun since the cards come with the "loop" side. Let it set overnight and haven't had any issues so far...

I have a dozen or so cards and have found other ways to use them as well. I sewed some Velcro to the outside of the M4 pouches on my chest rig and it works well for carrying multiple cards...

That's pretty much it.

Other than there's no hardware to install them like replacement pins and such...

I've seen a few videos about issues with the Mesa Tactical shell carrier and wondered if other similar shell carriers have the same issues.

I like the idea of slapping two of the Esstac cards together or even singles and have them ready to be attached.

Is there any adverse effects of having the Velcro attached to the side of the shotgun and running it hot at times?

I ran 250 rounds through my 930 in about an hour last time out with the side-saddle attached and no issues with separation whatsoever.

I can tell you the receiver got pretty hot too. Make sure you use the industrial strength Velcro and you shouldn't have any problems. I know @oli700 isn't a fan of the concept due to having experience with Velcro adhesive melting after some time sitting in a hot truck. My shotguns only stay in my truck long enough to make it back and forth to the range, but they do sit out on uncovered tables in direct sun during regular trips as well as matches where I might not shoot or even handle them for 30 minutes or more between relays. Not exactly hard use, but I'd consider it pretty regular use and I haven't had any issues yet...

I ran 250 rounds through my 930 in about an hour last time out with the side-saddle attached and no issues with separation whatsoever.

I can tell you the receiver got pretty hot too. Make sure you use the industrial strength Velcro and you shouldn't have any problems. I know @oli700 isn't a fan of the concept due to having experience with Velcro adhesive melting after some time sitting in a hot truck. My shotguns only stay in my truck long enough to make it back and forth to the range, but they do sit out on uncovered tables in direct sun during regular trips as well as matches where I might not shoot or even handle them for 30 minutes or more between relays. Not exactly hard use, but I'd consider it pretty regular use and I haven't had any issues yet...

Sounds good. I won't be putting my 590A1 through that much torture yet, but I'm trying to get into a tactical shotgun class soon.

Thanks for the info!

OK just for clarification

lots of folks use them and like them so its worth a try and awesome if it works for you.

And I actually love the idea. its a super cool system. My personal hang up with it is like LES said. I have had the industrial, best Velcro available adhesive melt in my work truck.
Not the shot cards because I have never owned them but stuff in my work truck that I need to hold down so it doesn't get damaged........it gets hot here in the summer though, this July has been mostly in the 100 to 106 range. Also all my nomex/Kevlar fire pants use Velcro for the cargo pockets and to blouse the cuffs around your boots, after about two fire seasons on them it simply wears out and has very little holding power, those are sewed though on your shotgun its gust a couple bucks to replace with new Velcro.
Velcro also dosent work good if you drop it in the mud, pack it full of burrs and stickers or packed with snow and ice in a cold climate .
My home has all those thing so it isn't the best choice for me......LES thinks "haters gonna to hate" lol.....I don't hate bro

Back