• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone here rocking a Gen-3 GLOCK22/23 with a weapon light?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
If you have a GLOCK 22 or GLOCK 23 and have mounted a weapon light on the rail (such as a Surefire or Streamlight or Insight) please step forward!

Thanks.

Does a G19 count?
GlockStippling_001.jpg

geetoity.jpg So what's with the .40 bias! ;)

My 30 is kept in an easy access cubby in my shop so it is not a carry piece but could be if needed. I think that was a $12 laser off Debay--works pretty good at close range and complements the Tru-Dots (tritiums) nicely. Other mods are a smooth trigger, lighter trigger spring/connector, ext. slide release, sleeve over 21 mag.

I had an extended mag release but re-installed the OEM. The extended was too prone to releasing the mag unintentionally--they are meant for competition ONLY...FYI

Hi, Guys.

Not a .40S&W bias at all. It's actually a cartridge I somewhat dislike compared to 9mm and .45Auto but I am very comfortable with the terminal ballistics of the round.

The reason I ask is I want to know if anyone with a 22/23 has had failure to feed issues with their pistol when their light is mounted. This problem was first identified a few years ago but it is not widely known.

Prior to the Gen4, these .40S&W Gen3 pistols have demonstrated FTFs with lights on them, and the issue vanishes the minute the light is removed. Put the light back on and it re-appears. I know of law enforcement bulletins, departmental directives, and agency weapon turn-ins; and even Streamlight.com FAQ acknowledges the issue with some G22/G23s. GLOCK-USA will acknowledge the problem if you press Customer Service. Some, not all, of these guns exhibit the problem (thankfully). Streamlights, Surefires, Insights, Glock... the brand of light really doesn't matter.

So if you have experienced such failures, I am curious if they were infrequent or fairly repeatable.

A fix for the problem is fairly simple, though. I am not bashing the platform. I actually like GLOCKs and currently carry a Gen3 22 with a TLR-1. I switched (after years of carrying a 1911) to the Gen3 GLOCK22 with a light after I made a measured decision and found that mine isn't a problem.

I'm an ammo moderator and not an expert even at that, but I want to help anyone here who might have a concern.

Best,

Dave (nitesite)

That seems odd to me, usually the added weight of the light helps keep the gun steady and actually helps some of the issues with recoil (i.e. limp wristing) related FTF's I remember hearing of issues with the springs or early Gen 4 models but not of the Gen 3. I'm curious to hear more on this.

Makes sense when you think about it.

I can see how over tightening the mount could pinch the rails, causing the frame to narrow and interfere with the slide cycling...

Makes sense when you think about it.

I can see how over tightening the mount could pinch the rails, causing the frame to narrow and interfere with the slide cycling...

Seems like you would really have to over tighten them for that to happen. Esp since the rails end short of the attachment rail.

I thought the 40 and the 9mm used the same frame? I would think the problem would exist with the 9 as well.

They do use the same frame and the outside width of the slide is the same, but the slide interior on the .40 is thicker at the muzzle than the 9mm. Not sure if that makes all the difference, but combine that with the thicker barrel and it may get a bit tight in there...

I hope people are doing their own research to some degree so they know that I don't have an "agenda". Like I said, I now carry a Gen3 G22 with a TLR-1 twelve hours a day.

Here is a start.

http://www.streamlight.com/static/document/product_specific_issues/glockissues.pdf

Other authorotative sources echo this finding. Thankfully, MOST of the G22s and G23s are not affected. BUT.... if you bought a light and just slapped it on your gun without really shooting it a LOT then well, you really should eliminate any chance that your particular 40-cal gun has a possible failing.

I first was made aware of this about three years ago, and I apologize for not bringing it to the forum earlier. Putting away my beloved 1911 for my Gen3 G22 suddenly reminded me of the problem and I wanted to let you all know.

Last edited:
I really want to return to my sweet 1911. But...

Clearing a building with a 1911 in one hand and a flashlight in the other is totally A-OK until I run into the FIRST closed door that has a doorknob and I have no good place to secure a flashlight when I wrench the door open. I usually move the Pelican 8060 under an armpit which really suxxxx until a couple seconds have passed and I've already been exposed.

Or when I look under a bed for someone hiding. With a flashlight and a pistol I can't get on my knees and bend down and look unless both my hands are really screwed up at that moment.

The GLOCK with TLR-1 is a GTG choice.

Believe it or not, the issue with the GLOCK 40s isn't that the slide is slowed down.

Studies found thta the slide speed is INCREASED, perhaps because of what would be the total opposite of 'limp-wristing'. The next cartridge couldn't rise high enough fast enough. Weird, huh?

So GLOCK says the 'fix' is using eleven-coil magazine springs instead of ten-coil, and a GEN 8 mag follower. These apparently help to resolve the issue in those occasional guns that experience failures in feeding.

Again, it is NOT every 40-cal GLOCK that has this problem, but enough DO that it's been a real concern and I know of two departments that turned in their forties and went to 9mm because they didn't trust them.

Who would have ever thought that a GLOCK wouldn't have almost complete trust, huh?

I don't presume to speak for everyone nite, but I am not worried about you having any agenda and simply appreciate the informative post. This is good info that everyone with a Glock 22/23 needs to read.

It's crazy that the light can cause such an issue. The part that piqued my interest was the statement that the problem may progress until the weapon becomes unusable, even with the light removed...

Wow, I never would have thought that adding a light would cause magazine issues.

I find it interesting that adding new springs and followers did not resolve the issue in all cases.

Tin foil hat time - rogue engineer who is an inside man for the 10 round mag coalition.....you laugh but it could happen. LOL

Just to let you guys know, I spoke with Anthony again @ GLOCK in Smyrna about this. I was actually incorrect about one part of "the fix".

I earlier spoke of a "Gen8 follower" when in reality a "Gen5 follower" is perfectly suitable for a Gen3 pistol. Followers marked with a 6 or 7 or 8 are for Gen4 pistols. Gen3 guns stopped with followers marked with a "5".

Anthony reiterated that magazine springs "should" be changed out at 2,000 rounds, and that the 11-coil springs have almost completely eliminated this situation with the G-22 with a light.

@nitesite you know what would elleviate all those weapon light and FTF problems??? Ditch that "gang banger", "FBI owwiee fixer", "uhhh... 9mm's for girls" cartridge and stop being a proverbial female body part!

MAN UP... Get a G41 (So you can tell me how awesome it is):cool:

P.S.: Pick up that 10mm conversion barrel for the G41 when they make it... then you can be a true Bad A$$!

Back