• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Epic FAiL

Better to be used to shooting from less than desirable positions/stances than not. When it really counts you might not always have time to get nice and comfy before pulling the trigger...

@oli700 Do you remember talking the other day when you said that some days you felt like you were in the zone and the stars line up and you just couldn't miss?

I was having one of those days yesterday. I must admit that it felt pretty good for a change to not waste as much ammo.

But this Fal is a helluva machine with the right combination of ammo and patience. I kick myself for not getting one sooner.

100 yards from target to chair and was done with a rangefinder. The muzzle was probably closer to 99 yards LOL.

I mentioned earlier that it was pretty accurate and I could take out quart jugs and stuff and remembered you saying that your buddies was a good gun, but not very accurate so I wanted to see what I could do with it.

The little orange circular target in the 2nd set that I shot first was one of those little ice pack things you can put in lunch boxes that I found laying up there. It was not much larger around than a skoal can.

The ammo box was from my buddies 30-06 for size comparison and obviously I'm sure you knew how large the beer can was and I'm not sure what the other bottles were. Shampoo and something else.

More than accurate enough for me.

OK, I'll have to take it back out with a single target and tickle the trigger. If I do my part, it takes care of its' end of it.

Just 5?

OK, I like a challenge ;)

OK, I like a challenge ;)
that's why I am here, with my help you could be the best lol

10 is really really the true tale but 5 minimum, considering ammo doesn't grow on trees I usually do 5 .....that 5th one usually triggers the F bomb

you should sand bag it up

The best?

Nah.

I just do the best "I" can.

Sandbags would be good.

I always blow a few shots in an otherwise good group.

The gun always shoots better than I do.

Always.

well it can be barrel changes with heat as well, allowing harmonics to have something to do.....I imagine the FAL has a fairly thick barrel though.

The SPR barrel on my AR never changes grouping no matter how hot I get the barrel but its profile is designed for accurate sustained fire, the price is weight

For a big game hunting rifle a 3 shot group is good I think.Don't really need to know what the rifle does hot, and everything above -06 is spendy and recoil starts to add up.

Other than that and target shooters I say get the barrel hot, dirty and then test accuracy. More realistic to the role

No, if I blow a group, I'm not blaming it on anything besides what I think caused it.

That's usually me.

The Fal barrel isn't as thick as you may think. It's probably about the same as an AR barrel (proportionately- in diameter at least).

The Fal is made to run and continue running in less than optimal conditions.

There is a story of a guy who called his Fal "ole dirty" if you haven't heard about it. I think it hasn't been cleaned in like 16,000 rounds in the last 11 years. Check out post # 419 on page 11 for some recent pics of general fouling and gunk. It's funky. And complete with rusted out parts of the piston tube. You can see the rusted out parts in the pics. Looks like an old Chevy pickup truck bed ;)

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68486

almost half as many rounds as "Filthy 14" .....sounds like it started keyholing just shy of 16,000. Cool post though

cmon bro, not like your new to this game......show me a .5 moa group !

OK Oli, I haven't forgotten. I took it out yesterday evening to check scope zero in case I decide to use it for rifle season next weekend.

This is the absolute most I have to give using the FAL at 100 yards according to my laser rangefinder. It's not a 1/2 inch group, but it is under 1 inch especially if you go from bullet center to center is probably about 3/4 moa and was done from a bag rest. I have one of those brownells group gauges laid over top of the target paper.

Fal 100 yard group.jpg

There is a story of a guy who called his Fal "ole dirty" if you haven't heard about it. I think it hasn't been cleaned in like 16,000 rounds in the last 11 years. Check out post # 419 on page 11 for some recent pics of general fouling and gunk. It's funky. And complete with rusted out parts of the piston tube. You can see the rusted out parts in the pics. Looks like an old Chevy pickup truck bed ;)

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68486

Only goes to page 9....but It's there....holy dirtyness batman....that one is epic!!

Back