• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2 single shot's I got today

rdm76mav88

20g
"Philanthropist"
Got a good deal on 2 single shot shotguns today! One is a harrington&Richardson single 12 Guage. The other is a Cresent Fire arms 16 Guage singlet Victor ejector. need some work but it's supposed to be a long winter here's some pics!

Great deal.

A 16 gauge was my first gun.

It is still one of my favorite grabs for hunting too.

I agree with nitesite, they're both probably good shooters. Most break action single shots I have ever used pattern tighter than most pumps or semi's.

The big negative about the 16 gauge is the difficulty finding shells for it. The last few years, my usual local guy gets very little of it due to hardly no one asking for it, so I bought a few full cases of #6 online just so I would have some.

The last time I used my 16 gauge, I bagged a turkey with it.

There are many who will claim that you have to use the most modern, coolest looking, tactical camouflage 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch magnums to even consider turkey hunting.

I beg to disagree.

I think that worst part of this deal is that I DID NOT GET IT!!!!
I highly suggest finding a used MEC 16ga reloader to keep the Cresent fed.
Also consider a nice soft pad for that H&R, they kick like mules.

@LTB....I have 2 600jr's one is set up for 12 currently the other is stripped down for resto guess its a perfect time to find the 16 guage parts! :) I like my lee load all 2 in 12 pretty cool little machine! looking for a few things for the cresent anyone know where to find parts?

Man, I'd get a MEC 16-ga setup ASAP. Order a case of Remington ammo and you'll have the best reloadable hulls to keep you going almost forever!

JohnA said it best:

Many of the older single-shot break-open shotguns I have ever patterned demonstrated great groups, even tho' they were slightly older guns. And I have owned one H&R Handi .270 and 12-ga combo that the shotgun barrel with a MOD choke shoots really amazingly good patterns.

Great find!!

You have my attention and looking forward to watching the resto on these.

I've been doing some reading and most prople say that guns that these should'nt be shot with modern day ammo? Should I be looking for low recoil ballistic "recipes"?

Mike D gonna be a while on the resto but I'll post pics as I go!

I've been doing some reading and most prople say that guns that these should'nt be shot with modern day ammo? Should I be looking for low recoil ballistic "recipes"?

NOPE. Wrong.

You shouldn't shoot steel (waterfowl) shot thru them. But lead slugs, lead buckshot and lead birdshot of any size are totally OK.

Thanks nite! Also some talk that newer rounds have too much pressure for an older gun? You shouldnt believe everything you read on the internet :)

What should I do with this stock? Looks like someone went a bit crazy when trying to fit it? Been looking into bedding compound will that work?

That's pretty rough.

The way my Dad taught me how to fit things together is to take it slow and fit, repeat as necessary.

Bedding compound will likely work well, as would epoxy or even JB weld, though nothing is going to make it pretty.

And forget about staining it.

One thing you may want to do if you do try to fill it, would be wrap the metal with saran wrap around the contact surfaces. That will make it so the filler will butt up to the receiver, but won't stick to it once it cures. You'll be able to peel the saran wrap from between the parts for a better looking joint without gluing them together.

It may be a better idea to start over with a different buttstock though if you're thinking about staining it or trying to make it look really pretty. Unless you're just wanting to get it serviceable of course, then it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

From the look of the notch, I would almost bet that buttstock came off of a different model gun altogether.

Back