• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

H&R & NEF Rifles

Thread from the dead, guys...

Apologies.

I just bought at a LGS an older "pre-Remington/pre-Cerberus owned" BNIB/NOS Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifle and they sold it to me at a truly great price. They've had it for a long time apparently, and it comes with the American hardwood stocks and a 24" bull barrel chambered in .223 Remington. I put a 4-12x44 on it (already had ithe scope and rings in a cabinet) and I have bore sighted it. Tomorrow I'll give it a test run with some reloads I have.

It was too inexpensive to pass up, and I've had very good experiences with the other two Handi-Rifles I own so I have some confidence in it.

Since it's a cartridge I already handload for, this should be a rifle that will be very inexpensive to enjoy as a fun target shooter.

Tagged for updates and pictures.

I like the old wood stocks.

Plastic is "alright", but the wood is classic.

Nice.

Enjoy your range time. I love get'n out on the firing line and setting up just before sunrise. Sit'n there drinking my coffee and watching the sun come up is a great way to start the day...

Okay. I shot my $200 rifle a bit today.

At my house I don't have a solid bench. I just set up a folding card table next to the driveway and use a dove hunting stool. It's not steady but it sure is lightweight to carry in and out.

I used a 150' tape to set a designated spot at 50-yards from my backstop a while back so that's where I again set things up today. The sun was really bright however my targets were partially in shadow from overhanging tree branches. And I was somewhat casually doing the "new-bore break in ritual" by shooting two or three and then clean/dry then shoot two or three and clean/dry. I almost tipped over my Hoppe's #9 bottle twice which would have pissed me off!

Here is my cheap rifle with a cheap scope on it. From what I read the Handi-Rifle usually does terribly with any pressure on the forend so I don't know what I was thinking when I put a bi-pod on it but oh well. I thought about yanking it off and using a rest under the receiver just forward of the trigger guard but didn't cuz I am lazy. Sorry for the bad lighting. Again, laziness.

How cool is this? You guys stuck in Commie states will be amazed to see this... Here in Alabama the take-out pizza boxes have friggin' shooting targets on the bottom of the box!!!!

And also amazing, here in my free state printed on the pizza box just below the five targets are the slogans "United We Stand" and "In God We Trust"....

I'm fairly pleased with the way the rifle shot with some reloaded ammo I pulled from my cabinet that was loaded up just as blasting ammo from my ARs. I was shooting some bulk 55-gr-FMJs with AA2230 and also some 55-Gr FMJs with BL-(C)2 powder. Considering that I was throwing fouling shots every few rounds things weren't going too badly. I kept everything around 1-1/4" ~ 1-1/2" as I was getting the scope zeroed and running Hoppes down the barrel every so often. The last couple three-shot groups were starting to tighten up pretty well.

Last edited:
Very nice!!! Great lookin' rifle. Thank you for the pics.:)

Does your pizza guy deliver to NY ? :D

You can still have pizza in New York?

All kidding aside, the libbies here would protest that pizza box with the targets on it. LOL

(Oh please someone buy my house fast!)

I tried his @mossbergowners.com email, but it was sent back.

Also a PM.

I miss rossignol.....

I know he was having PC issues before a while back. I had offered to try and piece something together for him from some spare parts but he said he was working on something. That was before he stepped away.

Nice gun Dave. Heck of a $200 gun!!!

Back