• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol caliber long guns/Carbines

I'd really like to know what kind of a shooter those "mare's leg pistols" are. Can you get one up to your shoulder? Can you aim it well? Seems as though it might make a very good home defense option (because of it's short length), but only if you can easily aim it. Would it just make more sense to run a heavy revolver, it that is the cartridge you are gonna use?

I'm always trying to come up with a better mouse trap, so to speak, for my wife to use as an HD weapon. She shies away from the recoil of even just a 20 gauge. I'm not convinced that many handguns are going to stop a determined attacker. Take care. Tom Worthington

I don't trust anything to stop an attacker on the first round.

Rule #2

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.

Too many variables to say with certainty.

I'd really like to know what kind of a shooter those "mare's leg pistols" are. Can you get one up to your shoulder? Can you aim it well? Seems as though it might make a very good home defense option (because of it's short length), but only if you can easily aim it. Would it just make more sense to run a heavy revolver, it that is the cartridge you are gonna use?

I'm always trying to come up with a better mouse trap, so to speak, for my wife to use as an HD weapon. She shies away from the recoil of even just a 20 gauge. I'm not convinced that many handguns are going to stop a determined attacker. Take care. Tom Worthington

Sorry I missed your first question on the Mare's Leg Tom...

The pistol is easy to point and shoot...and while the little bit of stock it does have offers a place to form a cheek weld when using the buckhorn sights...there is not enough stock to shoulder it. I've found the best way to present the piece ( being right handed ) is to hold the stock with my left hand and work the trigger with my right...aiming as I pull the trigger. Once fired, I bring the piece down and work the lever and repeat. To modify it with a longer stock would make it illegal, as it would be classified a SBR ( short barrel rifle ) by BATFE.

Having said that...the 12" barrel and 4 lb weight (unloaded) of this handy little firearm combine to make it a pleasure to shoot both the .44 Magnum & Special cartridges.

Hope that helps Tom...

To modify it with a longer stock would make it illegal, as it would be classified a SBR ( short barrel rifle ) by BATFE.

If you added a FULL SIZE buttstock, it certainly would, however, I would write tech branch and ask if you added a larger GRIP (but still cut down and shorter and technically not a stock) I'm not sure that it would change the classification since technically it is a handgun and the short grip is still not a stock, but I would be interested in finding that out. At least it would be worth asking if it were something that really interested you.

Worst thing they could do is tell you no.

But I wouldn't change it unless I had it in writing that replacing the grip would still be lawful and not change the classification of it.

Copy that John...that might be something Tom would be interested in.

As for me...I like it just the way it is.

a927a563269d6e39bd9b0cd8f550906b.jpg

Picked up BerettaCX4 Storm .40 cal with PX4 mags a while back.... hands down amazing. ...However the trigger was trash & i put the sierra papa trigger kit & extended charging handle

Great looking shooter Tattooo.

I'm looking at the crown and want to ask, is the barrel chromed?

10mm MP5's have been out for a pretty good while. Though I'm not sure how many (if very few) ever ended up in civilian hands.

I think he said the 90's in the video, too bad they had problems, 10mm is hard on stuff. I think someone needs to do a Tommy Gun in 10mm

I like old Tommy's. I owned an Auto Ordnance before my oldest son was born. My biggest complaint about them was they're heavy SOB's.

Though the weight alone should make it very controllable in the recoil department.

Back