• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Home Security Alarms

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Good evening folks.

I was curious if anyone was comfortable enough to discuss alarm systems. I don't want to know particulars to your house or anything and I would discourage that on a public forum anyway, but recently, there was a house a few doors up the street from us that got broken into the other night about 3AM while the homeowners were home.

Thankfully the homeowners weren't harmed and it appears that they left in a hurry when they heard her get out of bed on the 2nd floor before coming downstairs and only took some of her medication from her medicine cabinet (which leads me to believe that's what they were going after anyway), but it has my wife a little more on ends than usual being so close to home.

So, I just wanted to talk about the Voice Alert System 6 model VA6000S, which is what I thought would work well for us.

It doesn't wipe your nose if you get the sniffles, it doesn't record video so you can watch in real time as your house is being burglarized on the internet from the other side of the world and it doesn't call the fire department if you have fallen and can't get back up.

But it's actually very simplistic in what it is and how it works (which I appreciate) and alerts me to movements approaching any area of my home to allow me to know something is going on to give us a chance to be more proactive than reactive before someone gets the drop on us and I wanted to discuss it some and tell you about it if you are considering adding some more security options to your home.

It works on the same principle as motion detector lights (IR), and will even hardwire to auxillary lights/etc, if you wanted it to (I wanted complete stealth) but it works similar to how those motion driveway detectors work.

Something gets within it's zone and trips it, and the transmitter sends out a signal to the receiver (up to 6 different ones simultaneously) and you can program it to say whatever you want each one to say so you know which area(s) you need to address.

For instance if UPS walks up to your porch steps to leave a package, they won't know they're being monitored because there are no lights or sounds that come from the transmitter, but the receiver inside will be sounding with your recorded message "Front Door" "Front Porch" (or whatever you want that transmitter to say) because it is user programmable.

I also have a different alert tone (that I recorded in the background from youtube) for each transmitter while I was programming each one with its' individual monitor message so it gets my attention if I'm in the bed asleep followed by FRONT PORCH for example.

It has an on/off switch for the daytime, a volume knob that is loud enough to place the receiver in a central location inside the house and loud enough to hear anywhere I am within my home if I have it turned all the way up.

Each motion sensor has an interchangeable insert from inside the housing that lets you adjust the "watch" zone if there is a street or something nearby that you don't want to pick up cars traveling all hours of the day and night so you can position it so that they are more directed to only the area that you want it to "watch".

The transmitters run off of 9v batteries (included) so they don't require hardwiring, and have a rubber gasket to help keep some water out, although I placed mine as far out of the elements as I could for the most part.

The transmitter mount simply has 2 holes you can screw to an eave of the house, nearby tree, bush or fence post or wherever you are going to mount it inconspiculously.

The receiver has an AC power adapter and is about the size of a small EAS weather alert radio. Maybe 6 inches wide, 4 inches across and 2 inches tall. Plus an small rubber duck antenna on the back.

Now that I have all 6 monitors hidden on my property and watching each possible entry point to my home around the clock, I think that me and my wife can sleep a little more soundly.

We had a monitored system installed by a local company when we built the house in 2000. The only thing I know about it is how to punch the right buttons on the remote, and how to change out the back up battery ( which I've had to do once). The few times it's been tested has been when supper was ready (smoke alarm), and when one of us accidentally punched the wrong buttons. And that's all y'all get to know about my security. ;):D

RE: driveway alarms - I'd avoid motion detector types due to false alarms from animals, etc. Instead get a buried metal detector type hardwired to the house. It will pick up anything bigger than a bicycle, but not random neighbor pets.

A buried metal detecting switch would work better for a driveway, however, I am not using mine quite in that manner.

Mine are all monitoring all points of entry to my house, and while it's possible that an animal may set one or two of them off, the bulk of them will not give any false alarms due to how and where they are placed.

A buried metal detecting switch would work better for a driveway, however, I am not using mine quite in that manner.

Mine are all monitoring all points of entry to my house, and while it's possible that an animal may set one or two of them off, the bulk of them will not give any false alarms due to how and where they are placed.

Understood. I think the point of all this is that each situation will be different, and therefore will require some considerable thought and evaluation of circumstances and options, before throwing money at it. :)

Back