• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Garand Scout Rifle Project

it's definitely a little on the heavy side. But hopefully I can sneak out to get it all sighted in. Gonna get the zero at 100 yards and then start ringing the 10" and possibly the 4" gong at 200 yards.

Wind projecting to be in the 7mph area.... thinking the long gun range is back on the menu.

after you get used to the set up you need to shoot those windy days , a smorgasbord of emotions.......I haven't really tried an -06 in wind, the 556 a bit though. I imagine the 06 would be nicer lol.

have you talked about the ammo you will be using and I missed it ?

Totally!

Shooting prvi partisan 150 gr M2 ball. Also some surplus Greek hxp. Prvi is my main stock.

I wonder what weight you can get away with in a Garand......since I became seriouse about working loads and grouping I really realized what ammo brings to the table.......crappy ammo make a good gun look bad,.... as you know

Hornady makes a 168gr match ammo for the Garand. I'll pick some up later on in the year.

I can also buy a gas plug that allows me to shoot modern commercial ammo loads
I wonder what weight you can get away with in a Garand......since I became seriouse about working loads and grouping I really realized what ammo brings to the table.......crappy ammo make a good gun look bad,.... as you know

OK…. Range Report:

Hit the range after the snow storm yesterday. Had about 3" of snow on the ground. 35*F, limited wind around 5-7mph when it was blowing. Blowing towards my face so limited impact on bullet trajectory:

16886720105_e76a91758c.jpg

Started out on the 100 yard line locking in the zero on the Scope:

16679341787_a5f6f713f3.jpg

16264321714_3d793f7e83.jpg

First 3 shots are far left and high. I walked it in on the 4th group

Zeroed with Pvi Partizan 150gr M2 Ball. Wanted to see how it matched up with surplus Greek HXP:

16700565729_1c838bf3ef.jpg

Prvi on top Greek on the bottom… Prvi groups better. I hit the Greek with 2 clips because the first clip scattered like a MF shotgun. BTW the dot is a 2 MOA dot

Took my time on a slow fire on the Prvi and got under 3 MOA which basically cut my MOA in half using the scope:

16699083808_f531596e88.jpg

Hit the 200 yard line with medium fire:

16700509429_7ba7c13334.jpg

Kinda bummed because I forgot to reset my windage to my zero. It was 1/2 MOA off from verified zero to the right. I was still kinda playing with the zero before I left the 100 yard bench and I forgot to reset it back to my preferred settings. So as you can see I'm about 1" off to the right.

Ringing STEEL at 200 yards Bitches:

16679345917_8eb600630c.jpg

Bench shooting at 200 yards I was ringing steel with ease. Standing couldn't nail the 10" plate, Sitting hit 2/8, prone hit 3/8. The rifle did have some weight to it but I was having some difficulty keeping the scope from moving since I didn't have a complete cheek weld even when using the sling. I didn't feel bad there was another shooter with a 308 AR I let him have a go at my steel and he only hit 1/5 shots from prone with his rifle.

Great shooting! Nicely done Sir.

I suppose the freezing wind could have contributed to the difficulty shooting off-hand. I always have a difficult time shooting well when it's really cold out. My muscles are constantly shivering and moving, so it's hard to stay on target. Then again I am from Texas, so I haven't had much cold weather shooting practice...

Nice shooting WM.

Extra 5 points for braving the cold and snow.;)

It warmed up to about 45*f. Felt great considering we've had temps in the teens. I'm thinking it was me.

Lol I was thinking that too. Think he had a bipod. He Dressed like a tier one operator.

Realistically, bench I'm looking to get 2 Moa.

I need to work on my form for the other positions. I want to hit steel 5/8 or better from standing, sitting, prone at 200 yards.

sounds like a good and obtainable goal....

I am actually better prone than anything......although I have never shot from a true bench rest set up

standing that far is tough , I always end up looking like one of those Olympic guys

Back