• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR15 barrel length question?

Looking for a barrel for my AR build and want to know if its legal to hava/use a 14.5 barrel on a AR vice the 16.
I was told I need paper work to use one.
Now I know you can buy one from almost any site out there but just want to clarify if I can use it leagaly if I use it on my build and i do not have paperwork for one.

Howdy Sir.

Always a good idea to check your local and state laws for clarification on the particular legality in your area as some states do not allow residents to own firearms that are allowed by the federal government. That being said, as far as the feds are concerned there are only three ways you can legally use a 14.5" barrel on your carbine:

1. Have a flash hider or other muzzle device permanently affixed (pinned and welded) to the 14.5" barrel so that the overall length is 16" or more. It is important that this is done as quickly as possible after receiving the barrel to avoid any appearance of "intent" to manufacture an unregistered SBR. The smart play is to have a gunsmith or other means to pin and weld the flash hider ready and waiting before the barrel arrives. Remember, possession is 9/10 of the law.

2. Start with a stripped lower receiver and build up a pistol lower from scratch, or purchase a complete pistol lower. A pistol configuration will allow you to use any length barrel you like provided that the overall length of the weapon exceeds 26".

3. Fill out and submit an ATF Form 1 to register your lower as an SBR. This will require your CLEO signature before you submit the required forms to the ATF with a $200 check for the tax stamp. Once the paperwork is approved and you receive your tax stamp, takes around 8-12 months nowadays, you can legally put any length barrel you like on the upper that is used with your new SBR lower...

Thanks oli, I got my wires crossed on that one.

That one applies to a pistol grip only shotgun with a barrel length shorter that 18". As long as it has never been configured with a stock it's not a shotgun and as long as it is over 26" total length it is cannot be categorized as an AOW.

An AR pistol is a pistol, and can be as short as you want it to be...

Good catch...

Thanks for the clarification guys. I live in Texas and know we are all (well most) in favor of the 2nd amendment but doesn't mean we're exempt from the law because we're a gun state.
I have been lookin for a barrel for my build when I came across this fact about the 14.5 barrel. Now I did ask a LGS about the 14.5 and the guy there told me as well, but wasn't 100% sure and the owner wasn't there when I stopped in. So I figured where can I ask more gun supporters for some truth to the rumor.
I'm just gonna get the "legal" barrel for now to finish my build. Don't need the added attraction that comes with the 14.5 for now. Maybe a stamp later on will save me from the short barrel dilemma. Lol. Thnks again.

its pretty easy to find a good barrel in 14.5 already pined and welded with the proper length flash hider or break . Palmetto used to have them all the time, no muss no fuss, true 16" gun same price and all

Thx oli for the Palmetto info. Been looking at their site as well. Already got my lower and a few other parts for this build from them.
Just wanted a 14.5 barrel to have that SBR look but l didn't realize that I needed a stamp to use as a rifle.
But now a pistol may be a different way around it. So we will see.....

Those are sweet LES. Gonna have to do another build now;). Really like the look and size of them. And no tax stamp needed as long as its a pistol class.

Back