• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Long Guns

Damn fine shooting! I can see how having put it ALL together yourself would make you a bit giddy.

Two thumbs up!
thank you sir, long reaching shots are few and far between in these parts so I don't get a chance to practice it a lot

Thanks Diesel ........Lake city brass, cci 400, 22.5 gr of AR Comp loaded mag length @2668fps from an 18" stainless 1:8
Okay, thanks. don't have any AR Comp. My results with H335 were less than impressive. Gonna try some RL15 next time I get to the bench.

Nice shootin'.
Thank You Mossy !

Okay, thanks. don't have any AR Comp. My results with H335 were less than impressive. Gonna try some RL15 next time I get to the bench.

as weight goes up the less I like 335. One of my favorites for the 55 and 53 gr loads

AR Comp is said to be temperature stable RE-15......in my experience AR Comp is more poppy.

do some research on the 24gr RE15 load with 77gr......supposedly the go to for service rifle comps in the military......or used to be or something, I have even read that load has won many military matches.... my rifle didn't shoot them as good as others I tried but your rifle might love it.

One of my best days wind shooting

had a 5 to 10 right to left cross wind so it moved 556 a little but I held for it

Best part of the day was impressing the BR shooters.
See they aren't much on AR's at the ol 600 yard bench but they are so friendly and welcoming that its all good.

So during the BS session I ask if its ok to go prone, they say sure with a little chuckle.
Then they see the rifle and the little scope. "only 6 power!" I let 'em pass it around "well, OK?" I explain the role of the scope and get a nod, most of them are retired vets "its a fighting scope" , "yep" I say.

So they take my boy down to the pit and show him how to run the target.....going down they tell him they see a few AR's with a lot bigger scopes than mine and they have a hard time, especially in the wind....

As I shoot my son said they started asking about my training and couldn't believe I wasn't out of the military with all the hits I was getting, what a compliment, one is an old Marine. After it all they all congratulated me and said it was probably some of the best AR shooting they have seen.

Here are some shots of today, they target doesn't look like much, and to some it isn't but to me this is awesome for a windy day and a 1-6X at 600 yards
there isn't any real grouping done today just single shots, in the wind, they pull it down mark it and hoist it back up

the old Camp White mechanism for hoisting targets, wind flag

the range, targets at the base of the grassy/oak ridge

the "competition" lol, yeah it’s a NF

the target, not one off paper, first shot is the little white patch, also was alternating between 77gr and 69 gr HPBT so their POI was different ....all done on Kentucky Windage

forgive the giddiness its just I built the gun, loaded the ammo and all, spent the day with my son so I am on cloud 9!

The force is STROOOOOONG with you!

Fantastic shooting brother. I know that's a great feeling and to share it with your boy is purely awesome. I'm really happy and proud for you. It's great to see you do it with the 1-6x too. Nicely done Sir...

6a6ca080ec735fd516496ca2d72d7741.jpg

77grain Nosler custom comp, RL15, 3 different charge weights. All at 2.250 OAL. 100 yards, moderate 10o'clock wind. Bottom left 4 of 5 in the black. I must have pulled the flier.

Dang, that's some nice shooting guys.

I shot 22, 23, and 24, on Saturday. The 23 was tightest. So those loads were 22.5, 23 and 23.5. 23.5 grouped best of those. I'm not going to try to break it down any more than half grain increments. My shooting ability won't show any improvement.

I'm pretty content with that. I loaded up 50 just like that. Not gonna mess with any more adjustments till I get a chronograph. if its not raining this weekend i'll see how they do out to 400. Thats all the range I have at the time.

Took two of the office girls to the range today. One is a USMC Afghan veteran, never shot a handgun

I was floored Amanda(USMC) never shot a handgun.....firgrued everone got atleast qualify with one I in case one day that's all you got on hand

She was in commo but no matter the job all Marines are riflemen so she shot the AR's well but was thrown some because it wasn't a rack grade M16.

The other has had boyfriends that dabbled and she has shot some but never been really instructed.

After about three hours they were shooting AR, CZ 9mm, and .......Super Blackhawk 44 mag.

Although they had shot before they were basically needing instruction through all, other than the Marine with the AR's

I had forgot how awesome it was to shoot with people like that. They would go out and look at the targets and point at all the holes " that one was mine".

They each took home targets with totally respectable groups , and I mean they were proud of those targets, just smiling so big I thought their faces were going to break.

What's cooler , they are both going to buy lower receivers on the first, was a great range day....and only shot 20 rounds, they shot about 120

Unexpected....I knew they would have fun once I installed some fundamentals, didn't think I would have as much fun as I did watching them

I know it's a good feeling brother.

I'm sure they will remember the feeling for a long time and hopefully they'll pass what they learned on to others. It's as it should be...

It's good that you were able to do that Oli. Sounds like they had a really good time and that's what matters.

As for the handgun, I thought she would've had some experience there too, but I guess not. Glad she does now.

In other news, I was able to try out the Ares reduced friction nitride bolt in my SBR yesterday evening.

It was a home run.

The bolt with the Tubbs flat coil buffer spring was a sweet combo. It felt good and it ran good.

Back