• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Arisaka

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
My Pop recently passed down this Arisaka Type 99 Short Rifle (Series 34 - "Last Ditch Rifle")...

This was a capture rifle brought back from the South Pacific when my Grandad returned home from the Second War. Based on the arsenal roll marks and cartouche markings it was produced in Hiroshima at the Toyo Kogyo Arsenal somewhere between 1941-45. The Type 99 rifles are chambered for the 7.7 x 58mm Arisaka.

These rifles have a reputation for being extremely well built with strong, solid actions and chrome lined barrels, so it should still be a great shooter. The 7.7 x 58mm round uses the same projectile as the .303 British and the case dimension is most similar to a .30-06. I did find couple boxes of ammo for it at a local specialty shop. The rifle is missing its mag spring and follower, so I won't be able to shoot it until I can find a replacement. Even if I'm never able to shoot it, it's still great piece of family history...

Thank you John.

He passed when my Pop was still in highschool, but from all the family stories he was a helluva man...

I'm not surprised.

Nor doubt.

IMHO, truly the greatest generation, perhaps second only to the Founding Fathers. I knew several WWII Vets growing up. All great men, sadly all gone now.

Wow what an incredible piece and even better story.
Being retired military my self I have had the privlige of capturing that great military history.
"Hand Salute" to your grand dad and the foundation they paved for our nations military.

^ I second that.

Thank you too.

Another super cool piece of history LES!! Don't know if you can put a real value on something like that. It's worth more in family history than anything else.

So....ummm....another one to cram into your "safe" (should read vault). Should I direct you back to my comments from the M1 thread?!?;)

@cmcdonald , you're absolutely right.

In my mind there's no monetary value on any of this stuff. It's the stories behind them and the decades of scuffs, dings, and scratches put there by soldiers in the field that give these rifles character.

Was able to identify the roll marks on the receiver and dig up some info on the rifle. The internet is a beautiful thing. These "Series 34" Arisaka rifles were known as "Last Ditch" rifles since they were made in the final years leading up to the end of the war. The early rifles were very ornate in detail with chrome lined barrels, fine engraving and every detail was immaculate. The last ditch rifles were very crudely milled with few if any finishing touches added. Toward the end of the war, the Japanese were just trying to put working rifles in their soldiers hands as quickly as possible. The 34th series was the last complete series turned out of the Kogyo arsenal in Hiroshima before "Little Boy" turned most of the city to ash on August 6th, 1945. Series 35 production was underway and oddly enough the Kogyo arsenal was not permanently damaged by the blast. There are some series 35 rifles out there, but they are a lot more rare and likely glow in the dark. The Kogyo factory produced auto parts before the war. After the war they rejoined the automotive industry and resumed production under their new name "Mazda".

I shared this info with my Pop and he thought is was the coolest thing. He found a little humor and irony in knowing that his Pop's M1 Carbine was made by the Inland Mfg. division of General Motors and his enemy's rifle was made by Mazda. He'd had the rifle for decades and never knew where or how to look for the details other than knowing it was a Japanese capture rifle his Pop brought back home after The War. After we talked through the history he just said, " See shooter, that's why I wanted you to have it." Put a real big smile on my face...

So....ummm....another one to cram into your "safe" (should read vault). Should I direct you back to my comments from the M1 thread?!?;)

Different conversation here.

While I appreciate the history, engineering, or just plain cool factor behind all firearms, the comm bloc and other enemy rifles don't share space with my American made hardware. Japanese, Russian, Chinese, etc, all go into a different safe and there's still some room left in that one...

@cmcdonald , you're absolutely right.

In my mind there's no monetary value on any of this stuff. It's the stories behind them and the decades of scuffs, dings, and scratches put there by soldiers in the field that give these rifles character.

Was able to identify the roll marks on the receiver and dig up some info on the rifle. The internet is a beautiful thing. These "Series 34" Arisaka rifles were known as "Last Ditch" rifles since they were made in the final years leading up to the end of the war. The early rifles were very ornate in detail with chrome lined barrels, fine engraving and every detail was immaculate. The last ditch rifles were very crudely milled with few if any finishing touches added. Toward the end of the war, the Japanese were just trying to put working rifles in their soldiers hands as quickly as possible. The 34th series was the last complete series turned out of the Kogyo arsenal in Hiroshima before "Little Boy" turned most of the city to ash on August 6th, 1945. Series 35 production was underway and oddly enough the Kogyo arsenal was not permanently damaged by the blast. There are some series 35 rifles out there, but they are a lot more rare and likely glow in the dark. The Kogyo factory produced auto parts before the war. After the war they rejoined the automotive industry and resumed production under their new name "Mazda".

I shared this info with my Pop and he thought is was the coolest thing. He found a little humor and irony in knowing that his Pop's M1 Carbine was made by the Inland Mfg. division of General Motors and his enemy's rifle was made by Mazda. He'd had the rifle for decades and never knew where or how to look for the details other than knowing it was a Japanese capture rifle his Pop brought back home after The War. After we talked through the history he just said, " See shooter, that's why I wanted you to have it." Put a real big smile on my face...
Now that my friends...is a quality post!! I've never met your pop...but I get the feeling I'd like too!!

Very cool history lesson LES!!

I'm thinking that those rifles could have even been destined for civilian hands as the Japanese were anticipating a massive land invasion. They would have expected every man to fight to the bitter end.

Different conversation here.

While I appreciate the history, engineering, or just plain cool factor behind all firearms, the comm bloc and other enemy rifles don't share space with my American made hardware. Japanese, Russian, Chinese, etc, all go into a different safe and there's still some room left in that one...
Soooo, a bit more of the truth comes out!!! Multiple safes in which to house your vast arsenal of modern firepower and historical relics!!!

Yup...Heston's estate better watch out!!:D

Now that my friends...is a quality post!! I've never met your pop...but I get the feeling I'd like too!!

Yes Sir, I believe you would.

He was a Ranger Captain, 101st Airborne LRRP. Served three tours fighting the VC, carrying a 12 gauge pump and a 1911. He's a helluva man. Tough as nails, but soft spoken and humble as they come...

Very cool history lesson LES!!

I'm thinking that those rifles could have even been destined for civilian hands as the Japanese were anticipating a massive land invasion. They would have expected every man to fight to the bitter end.

Very likely...

Thank you Gentlemen.

I always enjoy sharing info on the forum, but posts like these are head and shoulders above the rest. It's the history and telling of the stories that make them special and worthwhile. When a rifle like this ends up in my possession I feel a deep obligation to learn as much as I can about it. Holding a piece of the past in your hands, it's the best way to show respect to the history behind it. I truly appreciate your replies and feedback...

Back