• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

9mm ammo

Ive not researched it. Only going off of heresay, but apparently using handloaded ammo in a self defence situation, can be considered intent to kill, or possibly premeditated murder. Could just be an Indiana thing. So until i can reasrch it myself. ill just stick with factory ammo. I'll load SD rounds to store, because if i burn up that much factory ammo, i dont think laws will be applicable anymore.

That sounds like total BS to me. Handloading has nothing to do with intent to commit a crime. In the first place, it's perfectly legal or you wouldn't be able to buy the components or equipment. I suppose if you engraved "Joe Dickhead" on the bullet they might have a case.

Me either.

Although in some states, who knows.

Far as I am concerned, if I am forced to fire a weapon in defense of my life, it is defensive ammo. Whether steve at the neighborhood gun store loaded it, a major company with instant name recognition made it, or I loaded it.

The only thing I can think of where people agree to only use certain ammo or not use certain ammo is the military in the Geneva convention.

I have no such agreement with anyone.

Fellas, lets get this thread back on topic, please. Feel free to open new discussions about legalities of certain ammunition.

Thank You.

Oh, BTW the PDX bullet is a fairly good performer.

Fellas, lets get this thread back on topic, please. Feel free to open new discussions about legalities of certain ammunition.

Thank You.

Oh, BTW the PDX bullet is a fairly good performer.

@nitesite, do you have any personal experience with the Winchester PDX1?

Speer Golddot 124grain +P and/or Hornady 115grain standard pressure critical defense..I prefer the Speer but availability for me is better for the Hornady

Apologies for derailing the topic. My point was to give first hand experience, and numbers, for ammunition fired from basically the same firearm as the OP.

I don't see any apologies being necessary.

@nitesite, do you have any personal experience with the Winchester PDX1?

It is a very good bullet, some say identical to the Winchester Ranger Bonded. I carry the non-bonded Winchester Ranger-T in my 1911 so you might say that for barrier applications the PDX1 is better than what I normally carry which is a high compliment coming from me, although both share many similarities. I am very favorable toward the PDX1 although that ammo is now being phased out and without any changes to the design or performance it is being labeled and boxed as the Winchester Defender line.

If you find it don't hesitate to buy it. It's expensive but it's good.

It is a very good bullet, some say identical to the Winchester Ranger Bonded. I carry the non-bonded Winchester Ranger-T in my 1911 so you might say that for barrier applications the PDX1 is better than what I normally carry which is a high compliment coming from me, although both share many similarities. I am very favorable toward the PDX1 although that ammo is now being phased out and without any changes to the design or performance it is being labeled and boxed as the Winchester Defender line.

If you find it don't hesitate to buy it. It's expensive but it's good.
Thanks for the info nitesite...means a lot coming from someone who regularly relies on their ammo to cover their butt.

Me either....stuff deleted...The only thing I can think of where people agree to only use certain ammo or not use certain ammo is the military in the Geneva convention.

That would be Hague Convention of 1899 John ...

Hague Convention of 1899

The peace conference was proposed on 24 August 1898 by Russian Tsar Nicholas II. Nicholas and Count Mikhail Nikolayevich Muravyov, his foreign minister, were instrumental in initiating the conference. The conference opened on 18 May 1899, the Tsar's birthday. The treaties, declarations, and final act of the conference were signed on 29 July of that year, and they entered into force on 4 September 1900. What is referred to as the Hague Convention of 1899 consisted of three main treaties and three additional declarations:

(I): Convention for the Pacific Settlement of International Disputes

This convention included the creation of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, which exists to this day. The section was ratified by all major powers, including United States, Great Britain, Austria-Hungary, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Japan, and China.

(II): Convention with respect to the Laws and Customs of War on Land

This voluminous convention contains the laws to be used in all wars on land between signatories. It specifies the treatment of prisoners of war, includes the provisions of the Geneva Convention of 1864 for the treatment of the wounded, and forbids the use of poisons, the killing of enemy combatants who have surrendered, looting of a town or place, and the attack or bombardment of undefended towns or habitations. Inhabitants of occupied territories may not be forced into military service against their own country and collective punishment is forbidden. The section was ratified by all major powers mentioned above.

(III): Convention for the Adaptation to Maritime Warfare of the Principles of the Geneva Convention of 22 August 1864

This convention provides for the protection of marked hospital ships and requires them to treat the wounded and shipwrecked sailors of all belligerent parties. It too was ratified by all major powers.

(IV,1): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Discharge of Projectiles and Explosives from Balloons or by Other New Analogous Methods

This declaration provides that, for a period of five years, in any war between signatory powers, no projectiles or explosives would be launched from balloons, "or by other new methods of a similar nature." The declaration was ratified by all the major powers mentioned above, except Great Britain and the United States.

(IV,2): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Projectiles with the Sole Object to Spread Asphyxiating Poisonous Gases

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using projectiles "the sole object of which is the diffusion of asphyxiating or deleterious gases." Ratified by all major powers, except the United States.

(IV,3): Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Bullets which can Easily Expand or Change their Form inside the Human Body such as Bullets with a Hard Covering which does not Completely Cover the Core, or containing indentations.

This declaration states that, in any war between signatory powers, the parties will abstain from using "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body." This directly banned "soft-nosed" bullets (which had a partial metal jacket and an exposed tip) and "cross-tipped" bullets (which had a cross-shaped incision in their tip to aid in expansion, nicknamed "Dum Dums" from the Dum Dum Arsenal in India).

It was ratified by all major powers, except the United States.

That would be Hague Convention of 1899 JohnA ...

Hague Convention of 1899

Don't recall if this was discussed here or on another forum, but the USMC has decided to provide modern JHP and similar ammo for general issue. It's always been available for special operations troops. But why bother with JHP, when you can just call in a Hellfire missile from a Predator? ;)

Like it says at the bottom of that post Gunny...

" It was ratified by all major powers, except the United States. "

I personally think the Marines have always led the way on what really works when it comes to killin' bad guys...

Like it says at the bottom of that post Gunny...

" It was ratified by all major powers, except the United States. "

I personally think the Marines have always led the way on what really works when it comes to killin' bad guys...

Actually it's not just your personal opinion. It's a significant part of the basic mission of the Corps to develop and test new goodies, and a major task of the guys at Quantico and other bases.

Here's an old used to be secret: The first airborne FLIR system was developed and tested by the Marine Corps back in the 70's on an A4M Skyhawk. I was privy to a video which showed a Soviet destroyer in the North Atlantic at night thru a fog bank from 20 miles away and you could see the people on deck and count the portholes. Any one of which could be targeted by carried missiles. What you read in publicly available media regarding weapons systems is about 20 years out of date.

The general public has no clue what is in inventory or in development.

My EDC is a Shield 9mm. I researched for a good while trying to decide what the best performing SD would be, based on penetration and expansion. Final contenders were all 124 gr bullets. Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1, Federal HST, and Remington Golden Saber.

I went with the Federal HST 124gr, standard pressure after watching this youtube gel test by ShootingtheBull410. The performance of this round is outstanding, even in short barrel pistols like the Shield. The 147 gr version is equally impressive. I can find the HST ammo quite often online at SGammo or Ammunition Depot for around $23.95 for a box of 50. A lot of places sell the 20 round boxes for that price. Regardless of which brand you choose, you must run 50 or 100 rounds through your EDC or HD weapon to insure it functions well for you.

My EDC is a Shield 9mm. I researched for a good while trying to decide what the best performing SD would be, based on penetration and expansion. Final contenders were all 124 gr bullets. Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1, Federal HST, and Remington Golden Saber.

I went with the Federal HST 124gr, standard pressure after watching this youtube gel test by ShootingtheBull410. The performance of this round is outstanding, even in short barrel pistols like the Shield. The 147 gr version is equally impressive. I can find the HST ammo quite often online at SGammo or Ammunition Depot for around $23.95 for a box of 50. A lot of places sell the 20 round boxes for that price. Regardless of which brand you choose, you must run 50 or 100 rounds through your EDC or HD weapon to insure it functions well for you.

I switched to HST based on this video. I was running hornady critical duty but it doesn't expand as much. Both cycle great in my shield

For training ammo, I like American Eagle and Fiocchi 115 gr. I can always find it cheaper than the Winchester White box. Fiocchi is some good stuff.

I switched to HST in .45, .40 and 9mm based on this guys videos. The .380 did not fair so well and I am still using critical defense at this time. For practice ammo I don't think I could afford to shoot very much if I did not cast and reload. I have 9mm down to $38.40 per thousand. .45 runs me $49.10 per thousand and .40 S&W is $45.53 per thousand. These numbers are probably a few cents high because I am allowing $2.00 per thousand for powder coating but I an not using anywhere near that.

Back