• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just bought a 930 JM and this forum is scaring me

Lfree6

Copper BB
I hope I didn't make a mistake, I am seeing a lot of problems with this gun on here and I'm a little concerned. I hoping that because this is a Mossberg forum I am seeing a few problems out of thousands of guns that are out there and I won't have these problems.

I know how you feel! I've had a 590 pump for years and it's been rock solid. Feeds/ejects EVERY time as long as you don't short shuck it.

It seems the 930 isn't quite so dependable. Going from what I've read though, as long as you feed it strong ammunition, carry out some very basic modifications and keep it properly clean things should be fine..

I'm seriously considering one. Still deciding what variant though.

Actually I have to say, if anything you should find this forum comforting. If you happen to have a 930 with problems, the folks on here can help you get it sorted out. That sure as heck beats the prospect of being among the group of owners with a shotgun that will not run properly and no clue as to where to start.

Actually I have to say, if anything you should find this forum comforting. If you happen to have a 930 with problems, the folks on here can help you get it sorted out. That sure as heck beats the prospect of being among the group of owners with a shotgun that will not run properly and no clue as to where to start.
+1 on that.....

I hope I didn't make a mistake, I am seeing a lot of problems with this gun on here and I'm a little concerned. I hoping that because this is a Mossberg forum I am seeing a few problems out of thousands of guns that are out there and I won't have these problems.

I've had my JM Pro for a couple year now. Have put thousands of rounds through it with no issues. My 930 Tactical has had some cycling issues with underpowered ammo, but is 100% with a little tweaking. There's not much can go wrong with a 930 that we around here can't help diagnose and point you in the right direction for a fix...

^^^ Ditto. No problems even with low power target ammo. Just loves the target-turned-slug rounds...eats them quite readily.

Thanks guys I appreciate the support. I pick it up on the 17th (damm California waiting period) and I'm going to use it for 3 gun so I'll be testing it extensively. If I have any problems you'll be the first to know
Larry

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rear sight? I think the front one is a Hiviz, do they make a rear matching sight or do I need to change both ?

Have feed my 930 all sorts of loads, on the long barrel I have not had a problem, the short barrel has rejected a couple of light loads but I suspect that was only because it was at the end of several hundred rounds and the lube was wearing a little thin. Did first take to the tube and shaft with some wet and dry paper, down to 1200 grit but I will happily agree that that was a bit excessive however things are as smooth as silk. Good lube, understand from other topics you have one called "Frog Lube" we don't get it here but I understand it works well, others might wish to confirm or put you on to something else. Good luck, play safe and have fun.

@Lfree6...

I use a Dead Ringer (ghost)sight and love it

exXoeQewj

I looked it up there is a few different model which one fit your JM? It looks like a nice sight.

IPSC and some speedshooting. 3Gun is not established yet in Germany but we've some enthusiasts who work for it. We need a association and a federal approval and this is not easy in our country :-/

Thread update: Went to the range this morning to test out the 930, I took a lot of different kinds of ammo for it to test it out. It ate everything I threw into it with no problems, loaded 3 the first test then started loading 8 and it was working fine. The last round I loaded 9 and shot 5 and the last 3 rounds wouldn't cycle into the breach. I unloaded it one at time and noticed I couldn't see the follower in the tube, rocked it back and fourth and the follower was loose in the mag tube (no spring tension) I took the mag apart and the spring wouldn't come out of the mag extension, took the front cap off and found the spring had bunched up inside the mag extension,removed it and it's pretty bent up. Looks like I have to call Mossberg.

That's "normal" ;-)
Would have this problem too!
Cut down the spring (is too long and strong for 9 rounds) around 10cm and load permanently 6 rounds if the gun stand in the cabinet.
That's reduce the spring tension.
I use a shorter Wolf-spring now and have no probs!

Got ahold of Mossberg and they are sending me a new spring, they are also sending a new shell stop assy not sure why unless they know of a problem with it.

I think over all quality control is down in the industry and they are rushing production due to demand.
My own stats :
Remigton 870 – two trips to factory
Ruger GP 100 – one trip
Sig P938 – two trips to factory

I have a friend, he got his Mossberg pump 10 years ago and it works fine.
This year, he purchased 20 gauge pump and it would not cycle shells.

Back