• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Smith & Wesson

Hello
IF the stocks/grips are original, the diamond in the centre around the screw should* indicate circa pre-1968 production. It appears to be a Three-Screw version, and the "ramp" front site speaks 1950's-1960's to me. Definately Post-War, so not really that old, I guess what I consider "old" is turn of the 20th Century and back, because I'm not really into modern firearms.
*There are exceptions...nothing is certain, but this is what I have been led to believe.

When I heard "Grand Mother's .32", I was expecting to see a break-action black powder Iver-Johnson, H&R or S&W nickel plated revolver with most of the finish worn away decades ago. I still get amazed that there are people who have actually met their Grand Parents. I was born in 1970 and my parents were born in 1923 and 1925 and my Grand Parents were long gone by the time I was thought of. A generation back from that puts my family in pre and early Victorian era England. When I hear the word grand parents, I think of black and white photos of people I have never met and have been gone for decades.

That revolver is practically just getting broken in...if I ever get a permit to carry a concealed firearm in public, I'd look for something like that, or a Regulation Police, or just use my Colt Police Positive, I love mid-century and older revolvers. I'd love to have a .32 Hand Ejector someday.
Mark

Going on the serial number, here's what I could find with the Blue Book.

.32 HAND EJECTOR POST WAR (PRE-MODEL 30) Get Pricing .32 S&W Long cal., 6 shot, 2 (rare), 3 1/4, 4 1/4, or 6 in. barrel, blue or nickel, fixed sights, walnut or rubber grips. Serial range 536685 -712953 as an "I" frame mfg. 1946-1960.

Judging by the serial number about midway of the ones mentioned above, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's probably around a 1953.

Oli, I don't know if it's motor oil. It was really gummy and sticky.

Nitesite, I know better.

Here are a few more pictures.

Easter 2015 016.JPG
Easter 2015 020.JPG
Easter 2015 019.JPG

My wife has a few guns that are essentially the same model, but different calibers that used to be her Dads that she inherited.

The nicest is the 38 S&W (38 short). It's still in the original box, has all the paperwork and is 98% plus if I were grading it. There are a few minor flash rust spots that could probably be buffed out easily. In looking at it, probably hasn't even had a box of shells fired through it. It's one of the nicest condition 50 year old revolvers as one could probably or realistically find since "condition is everything".

The 38 Special on the other hand, has been well used. It was her Dads HD/SD gun. It's still on guard duty matter of fact watching over the same house as it has for the last 30 years.

smiths 001.JPG smiths 002.JPG
smiths 004.JPG smiths 005.JPG
smiths 007.JPG
smiths 013.JPG

Really beautiful specimens John...

...and motor oil will congeal and turn into an almost varnish if left to it's own devices over time...

I've seen some old engines with motor oil around the lifters and stuff that looked similar, so perhaps she had used motor oil on it. Fact is, I have no idea what it was, but it took some time to clean it off if there.

Good thing I had some hoppes bore cleaner. It worked pretty quickly on it, but still had to do some manual scrubbing with a rag and toothbrush, and bore wipes.

My wife is very proud of her Dad's guns. She also has a pre-60 Stevens break action shotgun that I don't believe has ever been fired that was her Grandfathers and was handed down to her Dad, and now to her.

The action is very stiff, and there are no scratches in the barrel that would indicate that anything has ever been through it.

I don't personally understand having a gun and never using it, but her Grandfather certainly had a nice gun collection at the time of his passing from what I've heard. The 38 above may had been another one of those from his collection. ?? I just don't know for certain, but she found it in the back of a drawer just as it sits now when she was going through his things. All I have done to it is the occasional wipe down with a rag.

My wife has a few guns that are essentially the same model, but different calibers that used to be her Dads that she inherited.

The nicest is the 38 S&W (38 short). It's still in the original box, has all the paperwork and is 98% plus if I were grading it. There are a few minor flash rust spots that could probably be buffed out easily. In looking at it, probably hasn't even had a box of shells fired through it. It's one of the nicest condition 50 year old revolvers as one could probably or realistically find since "condition is everything".

The 38 Special on the other hand, has been well used. It was her Dads HD/SD gun. It's still on guard duty matter of fact watching over the same house as it has for the last 30 years.

View attachment 8103 View attachment 8104
View attachment 8105 View attachment 8106
View attachment 8107
View attachment 8108

Couple real nice pistolla's.:)

Thanks guys. I'm sure my wife would appreciate the compliments.

S&W 617 Target Champion & S&W 686 Target Champion
IMG_1297_zpsfgmyv8uz.jpg

IMG_1298_zps8zv31dso.jpg

Back