• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Advice needed.....22 LR Winchester Model 64B

cmcdonald

Boating Accident Victim
Staff member
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
So, my lil semi-auto hasn't seen much action lately due to scarce ammo and the fact that she seems to choke on anything but HV ammo.

She will FTE, FTF and stove pipe. Might run 20-30 clean then jam up. Sometimes she'll choke right away. I've had her cleaned by a smith some 5 years ago. I did this because there are very few screws in the receiver, mostly metal tabs and I didn't want to damage anything taking it apart. Wondering if I should have the springs and firing pin replaced. Sometimes she'll strike and not fire...could be a squib but we're talking CCI ammo. Too many squibs for my liking.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the money to have her completely torn down and rehab'd by a smith or shelve her and replace her with a modern .22LR.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I should add that this lil gun belonged to my wife's grandfather and is likely older than I am.

If you start replacing the springs, I suggest the extractor, recoil and hammer spring all at once since they see the most wear and tear.

I wouldn't think a set of springs and less than an hour on the bench would be more than a whole new gun.

Ever torn one of these lil guys down before John? What are the chances the firing pin is worn, bent or misaligned?

Not that model, but I have been in a bunch of others.

Even if the pin is bent, often times they can be straightened. It's not like 22 rim fire is terribly hard. Broken pin is also possible but they often stop working altogether at that point. If you're going to replace the main springs, probably wouldn't be much more expensive to throw one in you're cart with them while you're at it if you are confident it may need it.

Just thinking of the age too...that lil 22 has seen thousands and thousands of rounds. If I'm gonna have it torn apart...why not? If I invest some money into it might as well make sure she's all good to go and I don't have to go back in for quite sometime.

Thanks for your advice John...any idea of a ballpark cost on this? Forget the exchange rate...just want to have an idea. Labor rate is likely 50+ /hr here I'd guess.

Check with numerich gun parts to see if they have what you need and the prices for them. I'm pretty certain they'll ship to canada

Update....just got the green light from the "boss" for a new 22 LR. ;)

Just sew the seeds and wait.....LOL!!!

I can honestly say that I love my savage 22's. I have two mkii's. And they're made in Canada ;)

The Savage FVSR is my favorite between the two.

I can't speak for that winchester, but I have a Daisy "Legacy" .22 that I got for christmas 26 years ago. The firing pin on it is worn to the point that it won't fire a round.

But, I can speak on the Savage MKII .22 rifles. They're nice. maybe one of the best values out there for a rimfire rifle. You'll have a hard time finding something nicer without spending way more money. I dont much care for the synthetic stocks, but wood stocked guns are good to go. I used to shoot 200 yards with mine.

I have to admit I'm a lil partial to a semi-auto. My Winchester, though it has FTE, FTF and stove pipe issues...the thing is a lil tack driver.

It took some time to get her dialed just right with the lil Centerpoint scope but she's dead on now. That's one reason why I've been holding off buying anything else. I really like the gun.

In semi-auto (in my price range) I don't seem to have many options. The Rem 597 doesn't review really well, neither does the Mossy 715. I'm a lil hesitant to just go with the 10-22, as I've heard some of the newer ones aren't quite as reliable as the older ones....however, as long as it fires more than 50% I'm still doing better than I am now!! LOL!!

I dont much care for the synthetic stocks, but wood stocked guns are good to go.

I've heard that a bunch of times from various people that the savage synthetic stocks aren't very good, but I don't think they're all that bad.

I have seen a wooden stock from them available at boyds (which my favorite is the thumbhole with nutmeg color), in my opinion, that would be a beautiful knockout, but wood lends itself to swelling and cracking in adverse conditions and eventually rotting away, for this little gun, I'm ok with the plastic.

Though wood is prettier and heavier and ...

The synthetic stocks I have experience with on the savage 22s are older. Like, when the factory options were a plain wood stock, a laminated wood stock, a thumbhole stock, or a synthetic. The issue I had with mine was that if you used a bipod with it, or even rested the forend on a bag at any point from just ahead of the action screw forward, it would flex severely, and apply upward pressure on the barrel. The one I owned was so flexible that I could hold the pistol grip in my right hand, the forend in my left (like what, 18" apart at most?), and actually twist the stock by hand, without much effort. The other complaint I had was that the synthetic stocks at that time shared the same design between the skinny barrel and heavy barreled rifles. The comb was low, like made to be used with iron sights. That can be taken care of pretty easily though.

To be fair, the stocks I have experience with are from the old lineup, 2008/2009ish. Before the FVSR, before the "tacticool" stocks came out. It may be an entirely different ball game now.
I was always a sucker for the laminated thumbhole guns they used to make. And I always wanted to pick up one of the MKI (single shot) or MKII (magazine repeater) "FVT" models (synthetic, heavy barrel, aperture sights) for something to mess around with.

CMcDonald-
Since we're already talking about Savage 22s, I think they make a sem-auto too, though I don't know how they shoot. I've shot a ton of 10/22s over the years. Everything from bone stock factory guns, guns with just a barrel dropped in or a trigger added or both, to "project guns" where they were made from entirely aftermarket parts. I've honestly never shot one that really impressed me.
I've never shot a Kidd or Volquartsen though. They might be a different story.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well fellers...pulled the trigger on the most readily available platform...yeah a 10-22.
image.jpg
Here's a rather crappy iPhone pic with the ridonkulous 25 rd plinking mag attached.

Mounted my old scope from the 64B and had my buddy bore sight it for me.

Went with stainless and synthetic stock combo. Plan to hunt small game in all weather with it, so figured that was a good choice.

@TravisM.1 - anything Volquartsen up here = $$$$. I paid $340 CAN which is a good price. The Volquartsen barrel option would have put her in the $7-800 range before taxes as an upgraded stock would be required.

@John A. - as always I appreciate your input. I think our selection of available models is just less here than what you guys have south of the line.

I'll give a report once I've had a chance to get her out and run a couple hundred rounds down range.

Back