• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

Nothing like that around here LTB.

Has anyone used the bulk Federal 7 1/2 to convert to slugs? Or are the bulk packs of 8 a better choice?
Wondering about wad and/or powder differences.
Plus I have a lot of 7 1/2.

I've used both shot sizes.

Unless something has changed, the only difference between them is the shot size.

Thanks.
Still need to get a melting pot. Haven't decided if I want to roll crimp or just re-star crimp. Need to do more research on that.

Thanks.
Still need to get a melting pot. Haven't decided if I want to roll crimp or just re-star crimp. Need to do more research on that.

I have a rollover tool for an electric drill and I also have the Lee Loadall shotshell press to re-star crimp. I have tried both methods roll turnover and re-star crimp.

Trust me using the Lee Loadall press to re-star crimp is by FAR the easier option. Less work and the slug converted shells work superbly feeding through pump shotguns just like factory slugs.

Just a bit of a tip though. Get yourself a permanent marker pen and write SLUG all over the star crimped converted cartridges. The reason being is that it is essential that you can distinguish them from normal birdshot cartridges.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I use the roll crimper. This one is nylon and used in a hand drill at a slow speed. Works great. Here's a link,,,,,,good people.

http://slugsrus.com/store/product90.html

As for a melting pot, I use a $10. electric hot plate and a small pot from Walmart works fine. JMO

I use the roll crimper. This one is nylon and used in a hand drill at a slow speed. Works great. Here's a link,,,,,,good people.

http://slugsrus.com/store/product90.html

As for a melting pot, I use a $10. electric hot plate and a small pot from Walmart works fine. JMO

Mossy,

Yes I have a very similar roll turnover too, but mine is stainless steel. It works great. Only thing is to use it I find it necessary to cut off the old star crimp using a sleeve over the hull so that all of the hulls are the same length. So there is a little bit of extra work involved.

With the Lee Loadall you can skip this step and just re-star crimp. Both methods work fine producing professional looking cartridges just with the Lee there is a little bit less work.

That being said the roll turnover tool is essential if you want to make some of those "shorty" type slug cartridges like the ones offered commercially by AGUILA.

Thanks, everyone.
I have a LoadAll, so I think I'll be re-star crimping at first. Pretty sure the wife has ordered a 20lb melting pot as a Christmas gift.
Now, if I am understanding everything correctly, I need to put something under the slug to raise it to the proper height before re crimping. Otherwise the slug will rattle, yes?
Of course all this hinges on my being able to cast the slugs correctly. Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

You will have to raise the slug up with some 20 gauge wads underneath of it for a star crimp. How many or how high, I don't know because I don't do it that way. You'll have to experiment to find out. If you don't mind, passing that info along would be welcopmed.

But since I'm already set in the way I do it, that is my reason for liking to cut the wad and top of the hull off and roll crimping.

Less materials and now that I have all of my jigs and such made, is just easier for me overall.

Thanks, everyone.
I have a LoadAll, so I think I'll be re-star crimping at first. Pretty sure the wife has ordered a 20lb melting pot as a Christmas gift.
Now, if I am understanding everything correctly, I need to put something under the slug to raise it to the proper height before re crimping. Otherwise the slug will rattle, yes?
Of course all this hinges on my being able to cast the slugs correctly. Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

As to whether you need to place a wad under the slug depends on the brand of cartridge you are using for the conversion. Some you do, some you don't. With some brands I have used a felt disc with adhesive on it under the slug. You buy them in hardware stores they are for sticking on the bottom of chair legs but they work fine. Just a matter of experimentation.

Speaking of shell cutting i saw a guy on youtube using a "shell prepper"

Heres the guy that makes them

And a video of it in use

Flick to 52 Seconds

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Speaking of shell cutting i saw a guy on youtube using a "shell prepper"

Heres the guy that makes them

And a video of it in use

Flick to 52 Seconds

that tool is way cool

people been doing this to target shells since there has been a lee slug mold, surprised I have never seen that tool or someone hasn't thought of it sooner ......although I just reload my Lee slugs traditional like a reloader

I thought so too when i saw it, never shot slugs i need a different licence for them over here

As to whether you need to place a wad under the slug depends on the brand of cartridge you are using for the conversion. Some you do, some you don't. With some brands I have used a felt disc with adhesive on it under the slug. You buy them in hardware stores they are for sticking on the bottom of chair legs but they work fine. Just a matter of experimentation.

For now, I'll be using 2 3/4" 1 1/8 ounce 7 1/2 shot Federal bulk packs that I buy at the local Walmart.
Seems like a lot of people have done most of the homework already, and I appreciate all the information available in this thread.

I've tried Remington,Rio,and Federal and find the Federal the easiest to work with as far as the shot cup and petals.

Some many things come in to play when reloading Lee slugs for accuracy. Wad column, powder, wad, roll or fold crimp, all makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 trick for accuracy from the key drive in a smooth bore is a nitro card under the slug......

Back