• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Flashlight mount for special purpose 500 with heat shield

Thomas Curatolo

Copper BB
I have a special purpose with heat shield. Due to the heat shield I would not be able to mount a light on the mag tube. Question is, can I mount the light on the barrel without harm to it. Tried to post a pic but it would not let me.

If my memory servers me right there is a small light mount that will fit. I think it was @DHonovich , the founder of the site that had one.

Hopefully it was him and he will chime in.

I've used the Elzetta flashlight mount with great success even while I was running a heat shield. I do have a 590, so the Elzetta wedged perfectly between the heat shield and the first barrel lug (where the bayonet lug is) and kept everything tight. I had to loosen the mount when taking off the barrel, but it wasn't much of an issue.

You could cut the plastic spacer that keeps the heatshield from shifting in order to fit a light mount. And if you end up not liking the mount, I'm sure someone has an extra spacer laying around, or are cheap to replace.

The pic shows the space allowed for light mount

... So none! Thanks for the image, it certainly clerifies what you're looking for. VitSports mount is pretty darn sweet, but of course one of a kind. There are quite a few options as far as barrel clamp style mounts that may or maynot suit your needs.

Here's an option http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-sling-and-flashlight-combo-mount.html

I would be weary of the plain clamp style mounts especially if you don't have some hard point on the gun to keep it from moving. No matter how tight you get those mount screws... it'll drift on ya.

... So none! Thanks for the image, it certainly clerifies what you're looking for. VitSports mount is pretty darn sweet, but of course one of a kind. There are quite a few options as far as barrel clamp style mounts that may or maynot suit your needs.

Here's an option http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-500-sling-and-flashlight-combo-mount.html

I would be weary of the plain clamp style mounts especially if you don't have some hard point on the gun to keep it from moving. No matter how tight you get those mount screws... it'll drift on ya.
Actually, I had a half dozen metal pieces made, it was hard enough to locate two people to try them out I never went any further with them.
There are two metal mounts still sitting on my work desk wondering if they will ever get used... All they need is some metal finish(paint/coating) and the short magpul piece, however they are for the 590's heavier barrel and might wobble with a 500 barrel.

CDM Gear makes a mount that fits in about a half inch of space and a Mossberg model was made in part for this need.

The site is
cdmgear.com

I'll see if I can find the exact model but here is a pic of one that I use. It includes the rail section for a light mount or lights that have an integral mount like some of the Surefires or WML but I've used other aftermarket mounts with it. Some of his mounts have an integral "loop" for a light.

image.jpg

I have the QD sling swivel on there right now, but there is a space on each side of the mount for the rail.

You can always email Scott for his opinion, I'm certain he has a solution for your requirements.

Back