• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New muzzleloader..latest impulse buy

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I stopped at one local sport shops on the way to my hunting blind yesterday and found myself as usuall browsing the guns and crossbows. Needless to say the post muzzleloading season pricing combined with a little haggling and a lack of willpower forced me to walk out with a new muzzleloader.

Its a CVA Optima. Darn nice gun with stainles barrel and Realtree stock.

uploadfromtaptalk1450834540139.jpg

Ive already orderred a 1.5-4 Bushnell Dusk&Dawn scope for it. It everything comes together I may be able to use it for the last few days of the season this year. So much for my gun buying freeze. LOL

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1450834508390.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1450834508390.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 9
I think I also need an Optima black powder pistol to complete the set. :D

I threw a 1.5-4.5x scope on it and took it to the range last weekend. It shoots good but I still need to dial it in a bit. Its definitely minute of a deer but I want a little more out of it.

I didn't realize til I got home but one of the ramrod holders snapped off at the range. I leave the ramrod out when shooting at the range and it must have snagged on the tripod I as using as barrel support. I did call my buddy at the range and he found the part.

I also noticed some surface rust already forming the next morning when I took it out of the case for a more thorough cleaning. I assume just from condensation from being transferred into the warm house. I guess I expected stronger rust resistance from the finish on this one. It came off but I'm glad it didn't sit any longer than it did.

I was racing the sunset when I got out to shoot so I didnt take the time to take pics. Ill try to get some the next time I take her out.

Nice job, Can you take a few more pictures? Considering this same firearm or the muzzleload barrel for my 500.

Nice job, Can you take a few more pictures? Considering this same firearm or the muzzleload barrel for my 500.
Ill get some shots tonight with the scope on it.

I have the mossberg barrel as well. I just have not used it yet. Maybe ill drag that to the range next time as well

My 835 with the muzzleloader barrel on it and the CVA Optima V2

Muzzleloaders_001_zpszxb8ttu1.jpg

Muzzleloaders_002_zps68xcrv4u.jpg

Muzzleloaders_003_zpskbsicd5a.jpg

Dude. Nice set.

I'm torn...Would love to know how that 835 runs with the muzzleloader barrel. Any info would be appreciated when you have it.

Dude. Nice set.

I'm torn...Would love to know how that 835 runs with the muzzleloader barrel. Any info would be appreciated when you have it.
From what i have read. Accuracy is good but there is a lot of blowback into the receiver. There is no brach plug so cleaning it will be like cleaning and old school muzzleloader.

The ramrod is flexible which may render it useless with the tight fitting sabot loads i like to use. I'll post more info once I try it at the range.

Back