• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

low recoil rounds in a 930

anyone have any issues with cycling in a 930 with any of the "law enforcement-low recoil " rounds...i'm looking at a case of the federal stuff but don't want to spring for that much without asking first...gets lots of good reviews for grouping but i don't read much about semi-autos-thanks,scott

My SPX is 100% reliable as long as the fps is at least 1200. I tried some 1150 fps low recoil rounds and 85% would not fully extract.

to add to the above post..i am not stuck on low recoil rounds...they just seemed to have a good rep...the fderal is actually below 1200 though-scott

i'll stay away from the low recoil stuff....estate looks like it is pretty well received...gonna order a case and give it a try...certainly well priced...like to find a good case deal on the vital shock but not much out there and pricey for sure...likely to get more practice in with an affordable brand..just don't like junk-thanks folks-scott

Had to dig up this post from years ago that I remember I posted to. So fast forward 3.5 years, I still have my SPX. I recently replaced my spacer tube with a or3gun.com marine spacer tube, and a competition spring plunger that has gotten scrapes and cuts from normal use, also from or3gun.com

I dug out some fiocchi low recoil 00 buck 1150 fps and Remington light load 7.5 shot. On my way to the range to see if I get better than 85% function rate from the same gun.

It's gonna depend on which 930 you have and the barrel length you have. My stock 24" JM Pro would cycle shells that my buddies 18" 930 SPX won't. The longer barrel length gives more dwell time, and will therefore cycle things that others won't. The JM Pro's also have nickel plated tubes and piston. The gas ports are a little bigger as well. They are tuned more for competition to run fast.

If you want to run the lighter stuff, look into OR3GUN. They are on this forum. Username: OR3GUN. They have some mods that will let the gun run in more adverse conditions, and with lighter ammo. I have their stuff in my gun and have run as light as 1050fps through mine with no issues. Although I normally run 1300fps just for knockdown power with steel targets. I also have some 1450fps for spinner targets.

The Federal Premium FliteControl low recoil is 1145 fps. The full power stuff is still only 1300 and change. It also groups excellently.

As posted above, @OR3GUN has resolved the low power load issues.

Had to dig up this post from years ago that I remember I posted to. So fast forward 3.5 years, I still have my SPX. I recently replaced my spacer tube with a or3gun.com marine spacer tube, and a competition spring plunger that has gotten scrapes and cuts from normal use, also from or3gun.com

I dug out some fiocchi low recoil 00 buck 1150 fps and Remington light load 7.5 shot. On my way to the range to see if I get better than 85% function rate from the same gun.

Installed their spacer tube in my 18" 930 Tactical and had great results with improved reliability using low mass/ low recoil loads...

Tufl, I guess you missed the first paragraph where I listed the parts from or3gun.com that I put on and went to try out today. Don't know why your telling me to look into them, I already have them installed.

And second post revealed it is a SPX.

I have the defender model and it it has no problems with the low recoil ammo. In fact I bought winchester shells at walmart at only 850fps and it cycled all but one.Very pleased to say the least.

I can't get my SPX to cycle with anything under 1300fps. I'm pretty sure I have less than 500 shells through it. Does it get better with more use?

Mine did have some TLC beforehand thanks to you guys. The one other thing I'll mention is that mine is the field / security combo and not the SPX.

Tufl, I guess you missed the first paragraph where I listed the parts from or3gun.com that I put on and went to try out today. Don't know why your telling me to look into them, I already have them installed.

And second post revealed it is a SPX.

Yup, missed that part. SPX is the issue. Your shorter barrel is great for some things but not for running low recoil slugs. Not as much dwell time once the shell passes the gas ports. I have heard of a couple of guys opening up the gas ports a little bigger and having that help. My gunsmith told me he'd do it for 420 if I ever needed it, but I don't.

My Stoeger M2000 18"was the same way as your SPX. It was an inertia gun, similar to Benelli's. It would run 1150fps birdshot all day, but would not run reduced recoil slugs. Slugs had to be 1300fps or above.

Back