• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Favorite. 22?

Hello again. Just bought a Ruger 10/22. Thinking of getting a scope for it. In the box was a "scope base adapter". Is this all that is needed to attach a scope to the gun? Sorry if this is a painfully stupid question!

. . . Is this all that is needed to attach a scope to the gun? . . .

I'd look on YouTube for a video on scope mounting, if you've never done one, but the short answer is yes, but you need the rings that fit that adapter.

BTW, I went to the indoor PD rifle range (35 yds) last night with 6 guys from work, all of whom have far more experience than I do with guns.

Everyone of them was amazed by the .22 Henry.:D

1454781347511-397618340.jpg

The .357 Henry was also popular, but they didn't allow the .30-30 Mossberg indoors.
14547817481011327664752.jpg

Hello again. Just bought a Ruger 10/22. Thinking of getting a scope for it. In the box was a "scope base adapter". Is this all that is needed to attach a scope to the gun? Sorry if this is a painfully stupid question!

What Ruger supplies is the scope base. use a little blue loctite when putting it on... and I'm pretty sure the mounting holes on the receiver are different widths apart, so it really only goes on one way.

After that, you'll need to grab a set of scope rings to mount your scope of choice. This can get complicated, as there's a plethora of choices and combinations. For an all around 10/22 scope I like a 2-7 or 3-9 power range, with a 32 or 40mm objective (front lense of your scope). Vortex makes some nice options in both of those for around $150.

Either way, most likely it will be a 1" tube, so get a set of 1" , low or medium hight scope rings (depending on the objective size). The rings offered by Weaver are cheap, ok quality and certainly good enough for a 10/22.

Reactions: MRL
I spent less on my first scope ($5 in back in 1975 at K-Mart) and loved having it. For me any scope at all beats iron sights.

I have a big new 50mm Tasco from K-Mart too for $50, and it looks way better than it is, but it's still 10 times better than my $5 one.

The best one I own is 1.5~4x20 tactical AR from Leupold. Everybody likes that one. It cost 9x as much as the big Tasco, an to me it was worth it.

BUT my eyes suck. I pay as much for a pair of eyeglasses as for that Leupold.

Some day I may own a Swarovsky . . .
in my dreams.:rolleyes:

I just ordered my wife a 10-22 for her birthday. It's the red and black carbine from Davidson's.

Last edited:
My old Marlin 39A that was my Dad's has killed more squirrels than I can begin to count. I am sure it is approaching a pickup bed full. It is easily my favorite .22. Then my Glenfield Model 60 with the squirrel stock that was my uncle's is second. My Uncle HATED ground squirrel's and cats so this one has seen a lot of action too. :)

I have a Glenn-field/Marlin model 60 I bought back in 1972.
Just finished fixing Dad's, mom gave it to me after he pasted in 2000 at 85 years young.

Garage sale Ruger 22/45 target $75.

What Ruger supplies is the scope base. use a little blue loctite when putting it on... and I'm pretty sure the mounting holes on the receiver are different widths apart, so it really only goes on one way.

I want to add a little to this and that is you must make sure the screws don't go too far in and scratch/interfere with the bolt. :eek: And I don't know what Ruger is giving or has given with the gun as a scope "mount" but make sure it is a "full-size" mount and not 3/8". +1 on the Loctite, BTW...

I suspect that this will become my wife's favorite .22

I just got her this Ruger from Gallery of Guns on sale.
20160222_080421-1.jpg

10/22 without a doubt!

I wanted a 10/22 for as long as I knew there were 10/22s but Dad would just say ''You already have a .22". Well when I turned 18 I ran to the local gun shop and ordered this beauty.
29eskmd.jpg

My next 2 10/22s I bought used in the mid 90s, I gave one to my Dad (who now understands his mistake from my childhood....LOL) and the other turned into the Baby Barrett.
Dads
a3gndf.jpg

Baby Barrett
2nrewlh.jpg

My next two are scratch built from few factory parts and aftermarket goodies.

This is Sleeper
2eq8db4.jpg

Here is it's brother Reaper
22j1ae.jpg

I can't pick just one since they are all my favorite for different reasons.

Ruger 10/22. Mine has Tech-sights and a Volquartzen hammer kit. I also have a Savage MKII-TR if I need to reach out a little farther.

Either my CZ 452, or my 10/22..

The CZ is slightly more accurate, (even with the short barrel) but the Ruger is more fun :D

4527414.jpg

This started out as a standard basic 10/22, but over the years everything except the receiver has been swapped for something better..

3e7c610.jpg

Back