• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I Just Joined the Club

hombre243

.30-06
I scraped and clawed my way here and finally dug up enough scratch and ordered my 464 (pistol gripped) from Bud's. As soon as I can I will post pics and targets. But please be patient. I get a bit slow when it is cold and snowy.

Just to keep you passified for a while I will post a stock picture of it bare bones. I will be adding a scope. I wanted to go with a ghost ring but I know a scope will suit my tired eyes better in a darkened woods.

Mossy 41020.JPG

That's going to be a sharp looking gun.

Tagging for updates.

That's going to be a sharp looking gun.

Tagging for updates.

I ordered Kwik site rings and mounts from Kwik Site.

https://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-338-mossberg-464-ring-and-base-set.aspx

I opted for the scope because I can tone it down to 4x or turn on the charms with 12x. I ordered the scope from Bud's. I like the left side turret parallax adjustment.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/99_600/products_id/56994/Simmons Riflescope wTruplex ReticleMatte FinishSide Focus

The sling swivels will be Uncle Mike's. I found them on Amazon.

I have a Talon Quick Adjust Sling around here somewhere that I took off my Marlin 336. I will post a picture with the rifle and all the trimmings when I get it done.

Attachments

• Uncle Mikes Swivel Set for 464.JPG
    Uncle Mikes Swivel Set for 464.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I like to shoot with a scope most of the time too. It allows me to have much more precise shot placement. While iron sights on a deer rifle at my distances are simple enough, I still like putting them in the hydraulic pump so I don't have to drag them much.

Thanks fo posting that pic hombre:)
I had no idea you could fold down the blade of the backsight:oops: Obviously still getting to know mine.

How do you do with that factory sight? Most of the time the open sights that come with the rifle are a bit iffy. If your eyes are good you can get some range but if they are like mine a scope is a huge help.

Congrats on the new 464 Hombre. I was going to get those same mounts until I read a post where a guy had modded a full-length rail to work on his, and I ended up doing the same.

Basically I drilled it to fit the 464, and cut a big notch for the shell ejection.

20160206_230427.jpg

Congrats on the new 464 Hombre. I was going to get those same mounts until I read a post where a guy had modded a full-length rail to work on his, and I ended up doing the same.

Basically I drilled it to fit the 464, and cut a big notch for the shell ejection.

View attachment 10985

I read a few reviews that said the angled ejection tosses cases out and not up so the scope doesn't interfere. O well, if they hit the scope I will figure something out. Looks like you guys already did the math.

How do you do with that factory sight? Most of the time the open sights that come with the rifle are a bit iffy. If your eyes are good you can get some range but if they are like mine a scope is a huge help.
My eyes are definitely "iffy" and have been for decades:( I could not see the fore sight very well and removed the blade's insert by removing the tiny screw. That improved things a lot but I am hankering for a scope:)

My eyes are definitely "iffy" and have been for decades:( I could not see the fore sight very well and removed the blade's insert by removing the tiny screw. That improved things a lot but I am hankering for a scope:)

Have you considered a ghost ring? I guarantee it will be easier to use than that buckhorn rear sight.

I read a few reviews that said the angled ejection tosses cases out and not up so the scope doesn't interfere. O well, if they hit the scope I will figure something out. Looks like you guys already did the math.

They won't hit the scope and won't hit the mounts either, since it is the split mounts you are using.

I wanted a long rail, because the recoil of that light .30-30 carbine might loosen the split mount setup.

The ejection goes generally sideways, but it could not physically pass a shell without split mounts or a notched rail like mine. The stock Weaver rail I fudged on there had a goodly interference before the notch.

The exact direction of the ejection varies with ammo and (mainly) how you handle the gun. In other words, it varies.

I have zero ejection issues, but I did "bottom out" getting a good eye relief.

Yes, I am well acquainted with peep sights, although most of my experience is with the target variety. Ghost rings, being so big, do not focus the foresight for me but YMMV. However, I take your point and I could be being too choosy. That is, compromise is not forbidden and if the groups were good enough for hunting, then that should satisfy me.

Now you have me thinking. I could zero with a smaller peep and use a bigger one for hunting, as long as the zero did not change too much. I know that Skinner sells various sizes of peep. But you are right. That buckhorn is dodgy.

I have looked at a few brands of hunting peep over the years. On the web, that is although I used one on a M94 to hunt pigs. It was an XS and when the windage was adjusted, the elevation would move:( Do you know much about peeps mate?:)

Yes, I am well acquainted with peep sights, although most of my experience is with the target variety. Ghost rings, being so big, do not focus the foresight for me but YMMV. However, I take your point and I could be being too choosy. That is, compromise is not forbidden and if the groups were good enough for hunting, then that should satisfy me.

Now you have me thinking. I could zero with a smaller peep and use a bigger one for hunting, as long as the zero did not change too much. I know that Skinner sells various sizes of peep. But you are right. That buckhorn is dodgy.

I have looked at a few brands of hunting peep over the years. On the web, that is although I used one on a M94 to hunt pigs. It was an XS and when the windage was adjusted, the elevation would move:( Do you know much about peeps mate?:)
What do you want to know? I have been reading some reviews and Some shooters like the Marble Bullseye sight. I looked at the Skinner and the XS and both look like they would work well. I cannot remember all I read but one of those companies sold different apertures, like you mentioned. If that sight is adjustable for windage and elevation I would get that. Hopefully the one with the accessory apertures would be adjustable. I will post the links:

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993350&CAT=8245

http://www.skinnersights.com/mossberg_464_11.html

Skinner Winged sight for the 464 is adjustable for windage and elevation and has other sized apertures available. I may eventually mount see-thru rings on my rifle and add these sights to use close in and as a backup. But that would require a different rail set up and probably a long eye relief scope. MMMMMMMMMMMmaybe not such a good idea.

I'd be lost without a scope over 20 yards. I do like my 1-4× Leupold AR Mod-1 for 0 to 50 yds.

At 100 yds it's not quite enough, which is why it's on the Henry .22 (which is also not quite enough at 100 yds.)

The 4x Tasco is just a placeholder for the 464. I'm probably going to put a Leupold 3-9x 40mm on it, but I'd like to go even higher. At the range, 9x is minimal really.

I really need 2 new scopes, as the one on the Henry .357 is a cranky POS. It actually works OK, but it's shutting off after every round.

I hate the buckhorns. Worthless to me. I left them on the gun, just to fill the dovetails up.

Depending on the dovetail size, I have several in my gun box that got for other guns. If i can find one to fit I will take the rear sight off. I think. If the scope rings are QD I will fold down the rear sight and forget about it. Until I need it.

Thanks for those links hombre. The Skinner looks the business being very well supplied with accessory peeps. For what I want, I think I would need them. After posting last night some experimenting was done with makeshift apertures. Some holes were punched in stiff cardboard and used to look through like a peep sight. My rifle was supported on the top rung of a small step ladder so that it was steady. Holding the cardboard where the rear bridge is, I could look through the "peeps" at the foresight. You can see out the back door of my garage and across the tops of several other yards to tall trees in the distance, which is where the foresight pointed. None of the holes made the foresight clear. Next, a 1mm/0.040" hole was drilled in an old plastic card. That did the trick:) The big holes won't work for target shooting. Not for me anyway. Younger eyes might not have to go to these extremes but tinkering is enjoyable anyway:)

FWIW, when shooting target my peep (an adjustable iris) was always set on 0.040" unless it got Very Dark. Looks like a visit to the Skinner web site is in my very near future but I have not forgotten about a scope. What Caddmann said about Leupold got me thinking. They are nice scopes and a little 1.5 to 5X looks good on paper:)

Happy tinkering everyone:)

Thanks for those links hombre. The Skinner looks the business being very well supplied with accessory peeps. For what I want, I think I would need them. After posting last night some experimenting was done with makeshift apertures. Some holes were punched in stiff cardboard and used to look through like a peep sight. My rifle was supported on the top rung of a small step ladder so that it was steady. Holding the cardboard where the rear bridge is, I could look through the "peeps" at the foresight. You can see out the back door of my garage and across the tops of several other yards to tall trees in the distance, which is where the foresight pointed. None of the holes made the foresight clear. Next, a 1mm/0.040" hole was drilled in an old plastic card. That did the trick:) The big holes won't work for target shooting. Not for me anyway. Younger eyes might not have to go to these extremes but tinkering is enjoyable anyway:)

FWIW, when shooting target my peep (an adjustable iris) was always set on 0.040" unless it got Very Dark. Looks like a visit to the Skinner web site is in my very near future but I have not forgotten about a scope. What Caddmann said about Leupold got me thinking. They are nice scopes and a little 1.5 to 5X looks good on paper:)

Happy tinkering everyone:)

Hope I could be of some help. The large apertures don't help you focus so well but the smaller they get the better they clarify the target and the front sight. I have an adjustable aperture that suction cups to my glasses but it is a pita to use. It works but I just packed it up and put it away and now I use scopes.

Use the larger apertures at closer range and on overcast and not so bright days. Smaller apertures work best in brighter light. You don't have to have a perfect picture for hunting. But I know you do for targets. My stuff is on the way and I am having fits waiting.

I got a Simmons 4-12 x 44 scope with 3.75" eye relief. That should do it. If there is as much drop at the comb as it looks like, I may have to get another cheek piece. We shall see in a few days.

Last edited:
Back