• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I Just Joined the Club

Congratulations !
Thanks. I am looking forward to shooting it. After some test rounds it is off to the woods for a few hours looking for Mr. Wiley Coyote. I have some bullets too pointy to load the tube but 1 in the chamber and one in the tube should be enough to dump a song dog.

Thanks. I am looking forward to shooting it. After some test rounds it is off to the woods for a few hours looking for Mr. Wiley Coyote. I have some bullets too pointy to load the tube but 1 in the chamber and one in the tube should be enough to dump a song dog.
Sounds like fun....real nice addition

Good to have you, welcome to Mossberg Owners! Looking forward to seeing more of the 464!

Good to have you, welcome to Mossberg Owners! Looking forward to seeing more of the 464!
I have been a "Mossberger" most of my shooting life. I got my first one at Monkey Wards in about 1979? I think. It was the best 20 ga pump I have ever owned, and I lost it when I moved to Commiefornia because I did not know their laws. Then the stuff hit the fan out there and I came back to IA empty handed. Cali divorce laws are BRUTAL!

I got a MVP Varmint last February and was planning on a MMR this tax time but decided I wanted the 464 more. The AR can wait. I needed a med/short range lightweight for coyotes. I don't have a Mossy shotgun at present but a 500 is in the works as we speak.

Glad to be here. Mossberg has served me well. I will keep buying them until they quit selling them.

Thanks for the welcome.
h

Here is something I keep forgetting to ask: With a full size scope mounted on a set of high (I do not know just how high yet) rings, would a cheekpiece be necessary, The reason I ask is because in one review the writer said something like, "because of the drop at the comb..." inferring there was either more drop or less, but he said that amount of drop was just right for the open sights. I take it to mean the drop is steep and the eye will come to the sights more naturally than with a scope, especially one mounted on see-throughs on a high mount.

I have a spare one but it was way too high for the MVP Varmint. I got one from VooDoo Tactical and it is perfect on the MVP. Anyone use a cheek piece? Looks like the SPX has an adjustable cheek piece. But it is a totally different gun.

I've considered adding a cheek-piece to mine, as my scope is kinda high, but I'm right on the edge of needing it.

If I ditch the iron sights, I can put on a shorter set of rings, maybe, and remove the need.

I can not drop the rail, that's for sure.

Right now it will eject a full cartridge handily, but there's not much clearance.View attachment 11004

I got the higher rings because the scope has a 44 mm objective. I can fold down the rear sight, and if need be I can tap it out and plug the slot. I have a 3/8" dovetail plug. I figured if I needed a 1/2" cheek piece for the MVP because the rings were a bit high, and the drop at the comb is only an inch, and the drop is 1 3/4" at the comb on this 464, and i have the same high rings, I will need a high cheek piece. I do have one that was way too high for the MVP. I think it will work nicely on the 464. It is ugly as sin but if it puts my eye up where it is supposed to be, who cares?

* My iron sights are solid. I am glad the mount and rings are high enough. My rear sight does not fold down. In fact it is the same sight I got for my Kentuck kit I built last fall. Now I wish i had gotten the see through rings.

I will see how this works out. as of today (3-17-16) I still have not made it to the range. First it was a hood on my car that would not open, then a moribund battery. I eventually got those fixed and now I have some kind of creepin crud on my leg the docs cannot explain. As soon as the water pills get here the doc says will cure me of the itch and red welts, I think the best place for me will be in the woods huntin coyotes. At least there will be a pee-tree every 10 feet for me to mark and I won't have to look for a public toilet until I am on the way home. By then i should be all drained out.

Last edited:
That
I got the higher rings because the scope has a 44 mm objective. I can fold down the rear sight, and if need be I can tap it out and plug the slot. I have a 3/8" dovetail plug. I figured if I needed a 1/2" cheek piece for the MVP because the rings were a bit high, and the drop at the comb is only an inch, and the drop is 1 3/4" at the comb on this 464, and i have the same high rings, I will need a high cheek piece. I do have one that was way too high for the MVP. I think it will work nicely on the 464. It is ugly as sin but if it puts my eye up where it is supposed to be, who cares?
was a daring undertaking carving out that rail so the empties can eject. I don't have the tools but I know people who do. A solid 1 pc rail does make more sense, being a bit stronger and secure. Now all you need is aluminum black and it will look like a custom made part...which it is.

Look guys, I'm an engineer. We are known for wearing plaid shirts with a necktie, or striped sox with ssandals, and other disturbing fashion faux pas.

So when my dream gun shows up as an repop of some crazy antique, and then I plop tactical optics on it, don't hate me.

We're born without the gene that gives people basic ordinary fashion sense. The required therapy isn't covered by Obamacare.

(I know this theory makes sense as I modeled it after the irrefutable gay-gene theory.)

Back