• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.223 Remington/5.56 NATO Introduction

Way to go Caddmann. Congrats on your new AR. Let us know if you find any difference in performance between the .223 and 5.56 in your rifle. If it's chambered for 5.56 (99% of ARs are), it will shoot either just fine. Shooting the 55gr FMJ side by side, I can't see any difference except in a slight change of POI. But that happens also, just between different brands of the same type.

Which AR did you get?

One thing I will add that even though a Mil-spec chamber is slightly larger than the civilian .223 chamber, it is not any
less accurate; this is a common assumption that is made and is not true.
I disagree.

The NATO chamber has way too long of a leade to be considered more or equally accurate than 223 Rem chamber.

I have shot killer groups with the NATO chamber. They get better as the COAL grows with MOST projectiles , not all. I have only shot one projectile that doesn't seem to mind the "jump" to the lands

It is common for BR shooters to make COAL long enough for the projectile to engage the lands from battery......it is been well known in the precision community that as a rule of thumb the closer the projectile to the lands the more precise and consistent the shots are

Now a lot of serious service rifle shooters flatten a lot of primers trying to bang at 600-1000 yards with AR's. They mostly load an 80gr VLD for two reasons. It bucks the wind awesome and it is so long they can engage of come close to the lands in a NATO chamber......but they are too long to put in a magazine so they shoot 'em single shot....no biggie in those competitions

it is been well known in the precision community that as a rule of thumb the closer the projectile to the lands the more precise and consistent the shots are

Same goes with shooting 38 special from a 357 chambered gun.

Same is very relevant when shooting revolvers of virtually any type and the time it takes the bullet to exit the cylinder and get into the bore. Revolvers in general will lose A LOT of gas in the front of the cylinder, I don't care how tight the lockup is.

The guy I get my guns from is building my AR up custom. The lower is STS, made in Utah. Not plastic. Looks like a machined closed die casting of tempered aluminum.

It'll have a 5.56 upper, but I dunt recall what upper. I just told him it had to be rated 5.56.

Same goes with shooting 38 special from a 357 chambered gun. . . . Revolvers in general will lose A LOT of gas in the front of the cylinder, I don't care how tight the lockup is.

John, this is why I come here. Please and Thank You!

I once saw this Russian revolver that encloses the headpace with a cylinder that strokes back and forth. That was a wacky attempt to get pressure from a wheelgun. The seller had never shot that relic, and it was a worn out wreck so no sale. :p

Hope Midway/AR Stoner got it together over the past couple of years because they made crap for a while...the net is full of stories and I have one of my own about a bolt carrier group

300 bucks for a 16" Stoner ?......dude stop him. Way way way better barrels out there for that money , for 250 you can get a barrel that will embarrass that Stoner but maybe they are sourcing Mega or Noveske for the barrels at that price

ETA nevermind on the price.....just noticed you wrote "upper"......I about freaked thought it was just barrel

it threw me because your guy said "built up custom".....BS he is throwing an assembled upper on a lower he put some springs and pins in

Hope Midway/AR Stoner got it together over the past couple of years because they made crap for a while...the net is full of stories and I have one of my own about a bolt carrier group

I don't think AR stoner is an actual manufacturer. I think it's more of a "house brand" for midway usa.

Much like Western Auto sold "Revelation" shotguns, when in reality, Mossberg made many of their shotguns.

There is really nothing custom about AR stoner brand. Not meaning to sound condescending at all so please don't take it that way. But as Oli700 has pointed out, ARstoner is questionable at best because there is no definite pedigree with the parts, other than midwayusa shipped them to you.

It's possible to get decent quality through midway, and perhaps it would serve you well for many years to come. But with as many parts coming into the US from foreign sources, it's getting harder to find well known and certifiable quality parts.

caddman, another very good option is the .223 wylde chambering. They'll also take 223 and 556 ammunition, but with the shorter lead, making them more like a "match 556" barrel.

It's a cheap custom. :D You don't get much for the $600 I paid.

I'm sure he got everything on sale, at the cheapest possible prices too.

But the key is how well it shoots. If it's reliable and reasonably accurate at 50 to 100 yards, that's all I expect from this one.

Actually I didn't even want an AR. I just bought this from him because I've known him almost 30 years and he wanted to do this budget AR build.

But the kids can't shoot the .30-30 and I thought this might give them a kick.

If I was going to war I'd pick up an AR, but I don't think they're that interesting to shoot at the range.
Easy to shoot for sure.
But I guess I'm not really in love with them.

You shouldn't have a problem shooting to 100 yards with most any AR15.
But you will be one of only a few people I have ever known that didn't catch BRD (black rifle disease) from a single AR if you don't.

Well, I got this Daniel Defense catalog last week....
Now that's some nice looking hardware.

You shouldn't have a problem shooting to 100 yards with most any AR15...

The first time I picked one up I hit the 100 yd gong 5 of 5 quite handily. A very easy gun to shoot. My .17 Sherridan was more cumbersome for sure.

... BRD (black rifle disease)....

Hah! My wife says I have the cowboy disease. (She's lived in this rodeo town all her life so maybe there's something to it.)

Last edited:
I also have a S&W MP 15 Sport and it shoots very well with absolutely no malfunctions. Excellent gun for the money. I load Xtreme 55 grain lead core FMJ Boat tail bullets with 24 grains of WC 844 on a Dillon1050. From a "lead sled" the gun with that load easily shoots 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.

Pardon me while I drool.
View attachment 11110

I don't think this is available in California.
bet you could replicate it though.
buy all the DD parts you can get then when you build the lower use a bullet button instead of mag release, break/comp instead of flash hider on the barrel, 10 round mag......not sure if the stock needs to be fixed if you don't have the other stuff i mentioned

one of my favorite , go to AR has a fixed stock and no flash hider....the only thing that would really get under my skin is the bullet button and 10 rd mags but hey, still a cool rifle with the restrictions

Back