• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got another AR - the M&P15 Sport II

JayC

.270 WIN
I'm starting to think I have an illness. :p The LGS called a few days ago to tell me they got some Sport II's in stock. It had been about three weeks since I called them, and was beginning to wonder if they'd ever get any.

I couldn't believe how much oily gunk was on the Sport II when I got it. It's like S&W dunked the thing in a tub of it. The first one was pretty much bone dry when I got it.

I haven't shot it, yet. We still have about a foot and half of snow on the ground. Some spots are deeper. We're supposed to get into the 50's and maybe even 60 this week. I can't wait for that. :cool:

P1030733.jpg

Last edited:
I have a plain old sport. Has been flawless since day one. Probably has 3000 rounds down the pipe to date. Waiting for your report.

Nice, I hear good things about the M&P series

The sports are supposed to be pretty decent. Only thing I don't care for is the lack of forward assist. It would only cost them about $12-$15 more if they used standard uppers and for the extra 3 parts (forward assist, spring and pin).

I am fine with no forward assist, have never needed it. I wouldn't mind a dust cover though, I play in the dusty desert mostly.

I missed a very large bodied buck once because I didn't have a forward assist.

I gently rode the charging handle home after I got in my blind and thought that the bolt locked home.

I was wrong.

I was so close to that buck, I could've spit on him. Seriously. 5 feet away.

I raised the gun when he looked the other way, put the crosshair behind his right ear and click.

Deer jerked, took off in a sprint and the last time I saw him, his white tail was straight up in the air moving away from me.

I was sickened.

Granted that was more my fault than the guns, and if you can charge the gun properly as intended, a FA isn't needed. But I can honestly say I have seen a few times where the forward assist is useful too, so, I like FA's.

I'm starting to think I have an illness. :p The LGS called a few days ago to tell me they got some Sport II's in stock. It had been about three weeks since I called them, and was beginning to wonder if they'd ever get any.

I had gotten rid of my first Sport a little over a month ago. My friend wanted to use it coyote hunting, so I let him have it so he could have an AR. He scoped it. It was one accurate rifle.

I couldn't believe how much oily gunk was on the Sport II when I got it. It's like S&W dunked the thing in a tub of it. The first one was pretty much bone dry when I got it.

I haven't shot it, yet. We still have about a foot and half of snow on the ground. Some spots are deeper. We're supposed to get into the 50's and maybe even 60 this week. I can't wait for that. :cool:

View attachment 11344
Yeah....you have it bad. Enjoy the new M&P. I hope you post up some pics and an accuracy report.

I gently rode the charging handle home after I got in my blind and thought that the bolt locked home.

I was wrong.

I raised the gun when he looked the other way, put the crosshair behind his right ear and click.

Deer jerked, took off in a sprint and the last time I saw him, his white tail was straight up in the air moving away from me.

I was sickened.

Granted that was more my fault than the guns, and if you can charge the gun properly as intended, a FA isn't needed. But I can honestly say I have seen a few times where the forward assist is useful too, so, I like FA's.

I always thought the same way, whenever I needed one I also felt the need to check the barrel for obstructions.

Your example is a good one and one in which it would truly be useful and could be used without additional risk. Better to have it and not need it than the incerse.

Congrats bro. My first AR was an M&P as well and love it. Id never had an issue. Got about 3 to 4 thousand rounds off her so far and still flawless.:)

Thanks guys! I'll try to get some more pictures whenever I get around to actually shooting it.

The sports are supposed to be pretty decent. Only thing I don't care for is the lack of forward assist. It would only cost them about $12-$15 more if they used standard uppers and for the extra 3 parts (forward assist, spring and pin).

The Sport II resolves that issue. It comes with both of them now. You can see them in my picture above. The Sport II is a direct response to Ruger's AR-556. The Sport II has the same price as the Sport did.

I was wrong.

I was sickened.

I discovered something similar. When I would slowly load a round trying to be silent, the bolt wouldn't seat all the way. If I let it ride forward like normal it would be ok. I could get the bolt to go forward by pushing on the scalloped part of it, but that took some force. I wanted to see how silently I could chamber a round.

If the deer ran with the click of your trigger, from what I found out with my Sports, it definitely would have ran if you assisted the bolt forward when silently loading a round. It's definitely audible when the bolt seats; louder than a trigger click. I kind of think in this situation, without having a round chambered prior to the encounter, the forward assist wouldn't have made a difference anyway. That deer would have still ran.

I miss my m&p sport.

There's still time to get another one. :D

Thanks guys! I'll try to get some more pictures whenever I get around to actually shooting it.

The Sport II resolves that issue. It comes with both of them now. You can see them in my picture above. The Sport II is a direct response to Ruger's AR-556. The Sport II has the same price as the Sport did.

I discovered something similar. When I would slowly load a round trying to be silent, the bolt wouldn't seat all the way. If I let it ride forward like normal it would be ok. I could get the bolt to go forward by pushing on the scalloped part of it, but that took some force. I wanted to see how silently I could chamber a round.

If the deer ran with the click of your trigger, from what I found out with my Sports, it definitely would have ran if you assisted the bolt forward when silently loading a round. It's definitely audible when the bolt seats; louder than a trigger click. I kind of think in this situation, without having a round chambered prior to the encounter, the forward assist wouldn't have made a difference anyway. That deer would have still ran.

There's still time to get another one. :D

Not in my state. It's illegal since Jan 2013.

I feel much SAFE er

I admit that I couldn't see them in the photos. It's good that S&W is doing this right then because that was a bad way to cut corners. I'm glad to hear the newer versions address those deficiencies.

I would've had time well before the buck showed up to have hit the FA to ensure the bolt was seated (and I do that now immediately following chambering--lesson learned), but had I had a forward assist on that upper, I would've got him. The buck didn't arrive until I had been there for about 2 hours, so while your example would've been correct had it been the same time frame, it wasn't the same time frame.

That's why they call it hunting.

Anything long gun with a pistol grip and semi auto.

Connecticut ?

They are trying as we speak to do this in California. Only they want to outright ban any semi automatic long gun, even featureless like a ruger 10/22, mini 14. They are as well going for 1 firearm per 30 days, and license to buy ammo. Even thought I bought my AR and it was registered, if this passes, I will need to re register my semi auto long guns as assault rifles or be in defiance of the law.
I will not comply. F em.

Working on it.

I'll be hitting a red state in a few years with a good amount of blue money.

I shall buy a house hopefully with some land near a decent gun range.

And all will be good.

Back