• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A few antiques and other blades...

My wife bought this antique meat Fork at a yard sale and I have never seen anything like it.

It has a built-in folding stand which will also serve to hook it on the edge of a pot.

I think the handle is deer antler that has been varnished black.

I am not sure if it is Silver plated or nickel plated but not much of the plating remains.20160430_225802.jpg

20160430_225854.jpg 20160430_235551_resized.jpg 20160430_230109.jpg 20160430_225953.jpg

Last edited:
probably the toughest knife I have ever owned.....saved my money as a kid to get this in about 83 or so
That is a sweet recurved "knife of the mountain." Do you still have the original scabbard? I'd like to see a pic of that too!

That is a sweet recurved "knife of the mountain." Do you still have the original scabbard? I'd like to see a pic of that too!
I do, I didn't see it surviving my lifestyle as a young man , it seems brittle. But it has taken some good abuse , broke once for some stupid reason if I remember right it was really cold.
Its not like today's super tough polymers but its done the job......its a little noisy , never notice it till you want to be quiet lol

This is an inexpensive knife that I bought, but it became one of my favorite knives.

I only paid $10 for this but it's all stainless steel and the wood is pretty nice. It's just a generic hardware store knife, with no Maker's Mark but it's a quality piece.

I bought this one at Walmart and I saw the same thing for sale at True Value or OSH, with a different package for $5 more.

I carried this in the office for a few years. Now it's used for opening ammunition boxes and cutting tape.
1488795690295783868597.jpg
14887958278771597375619.jpg
Opened it is 7" long.

Last edited:
Among the keepsakes and mementos that I inherited from my mom were these blades.
20170811_225604_resized.jpg
I don't know anything about the straight razor except that it belonged to Joe Hulsman, my great-grandfather. You can see from the wallow in the blade that it's been stropped a million times. There are no makers marks at all that I can see on the Razor. The handles were some kind of flexible translucent bone. Maybe they were made from whale bone or something? They're very scratched and stained from age.

The little pen knife is just an inexpensive keychain item from the Great Depression era. It probably belonged to my mom since she was a child.

It's hard to read the stamping on the blade because it's very tiny but I believe it shows an elephant and says "Mammut" USA.

The stainless steel knife has a little nail file and Tiny scissors as well. This was something my mom picked up from the Air Force.

There's no value to any of these things except for sentiment. Anyone else rooting around through my mom's junk would have just tossed them out. But by their mere existence they receive a place in my collection.

By the way, I freaked my wife out a little bit by stropping that old razor on my blue jeans and then shaving some hair. I'm bald but I still have about six hairs on the top of my head that drive me nuts. She squealed when she saw me do that, for sure.

It was still pretty close to sharp, and Grandpa's been dead 60 years. Nobody's used it since him, until today.

Last edited:
Heres my old Camilus knife my Uncle gave to me when I was really young it had been used some when i got it but i really used it. Its been sharpened more than once. Its not pretty but lives in my large range bag and still gets used. I could probably clean it up some but that patina has sweat and dirt and grime from alot of places id be scrubbing away.15025333796741946097680.jpg 15025334206681340913782.jpg 15025335157981631044586.jpg

Switchblade I purchased in Italy at some point years back. It mustve been cheap cause I was young and didnt have much disposable income at that time. Fairly crude but must say it still works well. Only value would be sentimental ive seen plenty of similar items in various areas pretty cheap.1502534778426-1299778148.jpg 1502534826019683096613.jpg

Great stories guys. I only have 2 switchblades.

Neither Italian unfortunately. The stiletto has always been on my list, but I can't seem to ever have the extra $$ when I see one for sale.

My first one, is almost certainly Chinese. The black plastic handles says "special forces" or something like that on it. LOL

I traded a "tape" for it when I was in about the 7th grade on the way home from school on the bus. It's a front eject blade. I can't honestly remember if I traded it from Wesley or James Earl now but I'm sure it was one of the two ????????

The other, I don't think is technically a switchblade, though it is a spring loaded opener made by Schrade.

Okay, here's a blade that I missed when I was digging through my knives, and this is probably the oldest one that I own by hundreds (and possibly thousands) of years.

This is a stone Arrowhead chipped by hand from a rather poor grade of obsidian. I've had this since I was a kid but I don't recall where I found it. I believe it was on a lakeshore in Minnesota, but it could also have been a lakeshore in Utah. That was some 45 years ago and I just don't remember.

20170904_222117.jpg

Considering that obsidian is made by volcanic activity, I would expect you would have found it nearer the ring of fire.

Though indian tribes did trade amongst each other so there is always that.

I have a 5 lb block of obsidian that was given to me by a good friend on this forum. That stuff will cut you like a razor if you handle it wrong.

This type of obsidian looks like the poorest grade, jewelry-wise.

It is found throughout the Southwest desert. I do not think it is commonly found in Minnesota, but something leads me to believe that that's where I found it. I just don't remember, as I've picked up hundreds of rocks all over the country.

Anyhow this is the only artifact I own that could be considered Neolithic.

Back