• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Members of Mossberg Owners, Post Pics of Your Self!

Getting ready to start my fiends cub for a flight. That is him in the airplane. I got the honor of propping it.

Last edited:
@meanstreak Sure looks like fun. The Cub is like the go-kart of airplanes.

The first lightplane I ever flew in was almost identical to that Cub, but it was a float plane and didn't have those cooling scoops. That was Lake of the Woods MN in 1972.

I have not been in a Cub since, though I've flow in lots of other makes.

Back on another forum Meanie was asking about my flying about in Oklahoma tornado country.
This was me 40 years ago [in denim bellbottoms] before the flight of the Westfall Special.
It was a experimental 150 hp reverse staggerwing two-seater. Aerobatic.
upload_2016-5-6_17-25-31.png
upload_2016-5-6_17-23-43.png

That's the only reverse stagger I've seen except the famous Beech.

My buddy dave had to let the plane go, after losing his medical. This little Bellanca had 180HP & was aerobatic rated EXCEPT no tail slides permitted.
fp 188.jpg fp 193.jpg

(That blue one is the less powerful Citabria.)
Anyhow, I'm grounded unless we go charter. There is really no place I want to go that will make me fly commercial.

Bet that radial sounded fantastic......

Retractable gear, or no? Looks retractable to my novice eye. How cool is that with a radial instead of some Lycoming or other power plant. Like a Hellcat or Corsair or Thunderbolt.

Bet that radial sounded fantastic......

Retractable gear, or no? Looks retractable to my novice eye. How cool is that with a radial instead of some Lycoming or other power plant. Like a Hellcat or Corsair or Thunderbolt.

Yes it's a retractable and the guy told me that the first time he flew it after restoration, a switch stop on the landing gear activator chain slipped and the panel lights indicated that his landing gear was down when it was only down about 2 inches.

He didn't realize that until he was doing a belly landing. . . until it was too late! But fortunately it was on the grass strip at Frazier Park and he didn't tear the airplane up at all, just messed up the pantaloons.

I believe this was the 450 horsepower model. Probably burns over 10 gallons an hour and back in the day you had to be somebody to fly in one of these babies as your private plane.

This one was once the private plane of a high-ranking naval Admiral who nobody's ever heard of.

Cadd>This one was once the private plane of a high-ranking naval Admiral who nobody's ever heard of.

Cadd, if you can get the N-number I might be able to track down some info on that

Cadd>This one was once the private plane of a high-ranking naval Admiral who nobody's ever heard of.

Cadd, if you can get the N-number I might be able to track down some info on that

I'm sure I have a picture that shows the tail somewhere but it's not on this phone.

For more info on the Staggerwing above see
http://staggerwingrestoration.blogspot.com/

If that does not take you to the correct page do a search for "6922" which is the plane's Serial #.

I could find nothing about a previous owner/admiral yet.

Here is a pic of the restoration in progress from the blog:
4Wings.1.jpg

Yes, that plane belongs to Dennis Allen. I didn't know how to spell his name before & for some reason I thought it was Allan Dennis when he introduced himself. One of those Beverly Hillbillies moments no doubt.

I think he told me it had belonged to Admiral somebody, but I can't recall who. It's been a few years.

Anyhow a beautiful plane. You had to be somebody to own one of these.

Back