• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Savage bolt action

Those savages sure are some great shooters.

Is that barrel threaded?

223 is typically supersonic and still pretty loud and unmistakable as a gunshot. A suppressor will take the sound of 223 down to about what a 22LR or 22 mag is without a silencer.

In other words, it's loud, just a lot less "boomy" but the "crack" is still there.

Now firing subsonic 22's on the other hand, it's typical to have the sound of them down in the lower 120 db to upper one teen db level, which is not much more than a pellet gun loudness.

That is understood.

Many pistol calibers are inherently subsonic, and those are where a suppressor really shines.

38 special, 32 acp 25 acp, heavy 9mm and subsonic 22.

When suppressed, those sound closer to how a paintball gun sounds. I know of no other way to explain it.

I know that I have linked this video before, but shows the sound difference of going from 38 special (very quiet) to a 357 magnum (crack). Despite the 357 breaking the speed of sound (crack), it's still a pleasure to shoot. But it is still unmistakable that a "gun was just fired".

I like that a lot! Man, if not for the cost and hassle and extra cost, I could almost justify trying it out. I could definitely see trying it out with a pistol caliber carbine, good video!

There are no trespassing, posted, and keep out signs posted every 25 feet for the first 100 yards of the road, which is all on private land. It would be in their best interest to adhere to that.

By the way I had to bring that up because one of the first stupid things I ever did with the gun was shoot down a road and I caught a load of flak from the guys I was with.

My father taught me how to shoot and kill things but never told me much about firearm safety. He was sometimes a "damn the torpedoes... full steam ahead" kind of guy

This access road comes up the mountain off of the main road at the graveyard on the lower level, and there is a u-turn curve where the targets are. We are on the upper level, so we can see/hear anyone coming up the road. And anyone should also be able to hear anyone shooting if they're coming up the mountain as well since they have to drive within about 50 feet to my immediate left in the video above of where we usually set up the table or lay everything on the tailgate or however we do it.

But your point about not shooting down a road or trail or path is valid. But where we have it set up is really the ideal spot considering the mountain backdrop, and there are no houses or owned property behind it. Not that a round has ever gotten past the mountain anyway.

It sounds like you live where shootin game from the porch is a reality.

I dont want to be a gun safety nazi. I guess that photo just triggered some old memories.

It sounds like you live where shootin game from the porch is a reality.

I dont want to be a gun safety nazi. I guess that photo just triggered some old memories.

I actually sit in my kitchen/dining room. I open the sliding door and prop the gun on the back of a chair. :) :sniper:

You're not being a safety Nazi. Your point is valid. There are no disagreements from me bringing it up so no apologies needed.

But I've been shooting on that property for at least 4 decades now or at least since it was purchased in late '73. If you could physically see the layout, other than what you're limited seeing in the video, you would understand it's a pretty ideal place to have a small private shooting range.

It's off to itself, there should be no one coming up the road in the first place, and there is a large mountain that is around 3 sides of the targets that will catch any spalling or missed bullets.

I wasn't expecting that you were doing anything actually dangerous there.

I remember years ago sitting in my Dad's Kitchen shooting ground squirrels out the back door.

You couldn't do that where I live now.

Back