• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

use of bipod on ATR

What's your question? Elaborate a little and we'll see what we can do. For example, are you concerned about the stock not being able to support the weight and maybe the forend contacting the barrel? What kind of shooting? Predator/varmint, target, long range?

What's your question? Elaborate a little and we'll see what we can do. For example, are you concerned about the stock not being able to support the weight and maybe the forend contacting the barrel? What kind of shooting? Predator/varmint, target, long range?

Thanks for the response...don't really have a specific question, just trying to figure out if I need or should attach a bi-ipod. This is the 1st hunting rifle since an old 30-30 & hunting is what I'll use it for. Have an AR 15 but don't rally shoot long guns that often. Still would like others take on this attachment.

If you plan to hunt from the ground, and take long range shots it's a great addition. For walking, stalking, or if you will be shooting from a sitting, or standing position, look into steady sticks, or a walking stick type monopod, they don't have to be attached to the firearm.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I have a monopod shooting stick. It's ok, but can still be difficult to steady but it does help. From sitting, it would help more, but I also use either a backpack with a frame or a sling around my arm.

From sitting, there are some reasonably priced long bipods that would be very helpful, especially if you're able to get comfortable leaning back against something. In that position though, eye relief can be compromised so it just takes some trial and error to find the right position to sit in. If your shooting prone a smaller bipod is definitely reasonable. Again, I use a backpack here and while it isn't as stable as a bipod I've been able to shoot sub MOA but most groups are closer to 1.25 to 1.5.

It isn't necessary but definitely helpful, especially on long shots.

Just my opinions and limited experience.

Thanks for the response...don't really have a specific question, just trying to figure out if I need or should attach a bi-ipod. This is the 1st hunting rifle since an old 30-30 & hunting is what I'll use it for. Have an AR 15 but don't rally shoot long guns that often. Still would like others take on this attachment.

If you do not know if you need one you probably do not need one.

They can be an asset but legs short enough to shoot off of a table are not really useful in the woods unless you are shooting prone and legs long enough to shoot from a sitting position are too long for anything else.

I have one but find it is only useful at the range when shooting from the ground. or the range when there are no other rests available. Your mileage may vary.

I find a adjustable monopod to be much more versatile when hunting.

Just my $.02

If you plan to hunt from the ground, and take long range shots it's a great addition. For walking, stalking, or if you will be shooting from a sitting, or standing position, look into steady sticks, or a walking stick type monopod, they don't have to be attached to the firearm.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I've had a Caldwell pivoting bipod on my ATR for a while. It works great and I'm able to keep my rifle stable.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Back