• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

+P .45 auto?

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Anyone use +P for carry ammo? I'm still having trouble finding ammo that reliably feeds in the 3" Ultra Carry but have recently come across some 255 gr hard cast +P ammo. Looks like $17 for 20 from Underwood Ammo.

Another I'd like to try is the Corbon Powrball which some reviews say they use it because it feeds through persnickety shorter barreled guns. (Not +P though)

Have yet to try Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense.

I run +P+ in my G19.

When I carried a .45 I don't think I used the +P stuff.

I've had good luck with Winchester PDX1 in my Ultra CDPII.

I carry Critical Defense in that and my RIA CS since it is designed for short barrels. In my commanders (Dan Wesson V-Bob and Guardian) I use Critical Duty, which is a +P load.

The nearly cone-shaped bullet nose makes both Hornady loads feed very reliably in almost any pistol.

90926%2045%20Automatic%20%2BP%20220gr%20FlexLock%20Critical%20Duty-01.jpg

Edit: I assumed you were talking about SD ammo. Mine feeds standard FMJ very reliably since break-in.

Rosssignol,

As you know... 3" 1911s have incredibly stiff recoil and main springs. They need these to slow the slide down sufficiently to let the next round rise up in the magazine before the slide moves forward.

So using +P might make the slide travel rearward even faster than designed.

Try tuning the extractor first. Or a different magazine.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you, each of you for your replies.

i only just came across the +P for the 45 ACP and was curious I hadn't seen it before. I imagine it's intended for longer slides.

I asked Kimber about it. Their rep said the +P was ok for occasional use and for carry ammo but not for regular range day use.

I do have new magazines, the KimPro stainless and they're better but still not 100% with hollow point ammo. No one locally (by local I mean not even Dicks Sporting Goods more than a half hour away) carries anything like Corbon or Hornady Critical Defense or a Critical Duty so I have to order something. Like owning online is how I came across the +P stuff.

Brad?

Is the cast ammo semi-wadcutter? There are a TON of tricky 1911s that don't feed SWCs worth a damn.

What a bunch of crap that a 1911 can only stand occasional +P ammo. It's ONLY about 45~50 FPS faster than standard pressure.

Cor-Bon Pow'R'Ball is some pretty good stuff and it should reliably feed in anything.

Brad,

also take a couple 7-rd standard magazines and try them during range use.

This is either the SWC bullet nose or magazines or extractor.

It is not that the ammo is +P in my opinion.

Anyone use +P for carry ammo? I'm still having trouble finding ammo that reliably feeds in the 3" Ultra Carry but have recently come across some 255 gr hard cast +P ammo. Looks like $17 for 20 from Underwood Ammo.

Another I'd like to try is the Corbon Powrball which some reviews say they use it because it feeds through persnickety shorter barreled guns. (Not +P though)

Have yet to try Hornady Critical Duty or Critical Defense.

Hornady CD of either variety has always fed reliably in my Ultra CDP...

They are a SWC load, darn it. I missed that when I was looking. I got hung up on the hard cast +P and came here to ask about it.

Which ever way I go I have to order unless I can get to bass pro or cabellas. I'd like to get a few different things like the Corbon and Hornady. I haven't tried the +P yet, just came across it while searching for something to order.

My factory magazine is the worst of the three I have, ball ammo hangs up in it.

@oli700 If ever I run out of ammo, I can use it as a hammer though.

@oli700 If ever I run out of ammo, I can use it as a hammer though.
yeah but if your hungry you can put a burrito in the magwell and warm it up in the microwave.......if your desperate you can follow it up with a loaded mag and they feed right through the burrito

I think a Glock chamber is ideal for all projo shapes, you can practically put a 50AE in a 45acp Glock chamber lol

If you go Glock, go compact.

You know I have a few and the 19 or 23 are where it's at. Any smaller and handling, comfort, and accuracy become an issue. Just my $.02...

If I go Glock, it's actually for my wife. Any Glock larger than that is too chunky for me.

G19 is my HD firearm, wife shoots it and it sees comps in the SSP division in IDPA and the Production division in USPSA

Picking up 10 rounders (Chip McCormick) for my 1911 on Friday

I still want to try some other magazines eventually but I'll try ammo first.

I've saved all the info on magazines you guys have given me up to this point.

Brad,

Have you checked the extractor tension and hook?

In as much as I'm able. Tension seems fine. No trouble extracting and ejecting. To this point it's solely been an issue with feeding. Jacketed hollow points hang up in the magazine.

I ordered a box of Corbon Powrball. I think it's 165 gr +P. Turns out, a whole lot of 45 auto is +P. Most newer defensive ammo is.

Dicks sporting goods says they have the Hornady. They haven't in the past but I'll check again.

So I guess to the point, I'm still learning new stuff. I never really looked that closely. Ball ammo is pretty basic and it doesn't get much simpler than grabbing a box of Winchester hollow points. Until reliable feeding becomes an issue. So when I began seeing +P in 45 ACP, I wasn't even sure I could use it. I mentioned what Kimber said, the reason they say is that it prematurely weakens springs and fatigues other parts. Whatever. The UC may need a tune up eventually.

Back