• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month...(October 2016)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer.

What gun maker(s) will you never buy from again?

I will have to ponder this, nothing is jumping right to mind.

The only Gun I have ever really had a complete failure with would be a Remington 11-87 but that has not made me boycott the company. All the others I can think of would only be on the list because they are no longer in business.

I will have to ponder this, nothing is jumping right to mind.

The only Gun I have ever really had a complete failure with would be a Remington 11-87 but that has not made me boycott the company. All the others I can think of would only be on the list because they are no longer in business.
With the question I was thinking along the lines of bad quality, country of origin, politics of the company ownership, bad customer service etc.,

Anything imported from intratec, granted the only one I had I got in some horse trading with a buddy. But it was stamped made in China. And it was crap. Cheap crap is cheap crap though.

Well it won't be Mossberg or Marlin.
I just bought one of each.

The truth is that the only one I wouldn't own again was a Marksman air gun.
MARKSMAN.jpg

The break action hinge was the sloppiest thing ever cast from used carburetors.
I think my mom won this in a bingo game about 1964. I had it from '66 'til about 1982.

Nothing I've ever bought, but some things just based on country of origin. I can't say I've had a junk gun, but I've not owned but several guns.

I had a Winchester ranger, early 80s model. Nothing wrong with it but I didn't like the bolt and the way you take it down. Remington much the same. Had a friend with an H&R Pardner pump home security. That was actually worse to take down than the Remington. Nothing actually wrong with any of the guns. Just didn't like the way the break down.

I went to pawn shop in Jonesboro, GA. They had brand new Rexio 8-shot revolvers for about $85. I bought one and took it out the range the next Saturday.

The timing was so bad I couldn't get thru a whole cylinder w/o having to mess with it. There were sharp edges and corners in the frame that actually cut my fingers when I maneuvered it for unloading and reloading. I fired about 20 rounds thru it before I got the hint and quit.

For the whole story, see:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/guns-to-avoid.16361/#post-227985

Well my new Mossberg 500 was made in the USA, I'm pretty sure my new Marlin was made in China.

The new Benjamin air gun was, which is sad. They were always an iconic American brand. :(

^^ I agree. I have heard bad things/reviews about Mossberg 590A1s and how the quality and customer service has been blamed all over the place. Sadly the craftsmanship and customer service has taken the back seat everywhere.

My best buddy bought a 590a a while back, and had lots of trouble, until he traded it on a Remington.
He's been trying to scare me off of Mossbergs ever since.
But all week this stuff about the Remington trigger recall has been all over the radio.
So when I bought the Mossberg 500, he held his peace on the issue. :rolleye:

. . . . Just didn't like the way they break down.

This was my main complaint about the new Mossberg 464. It's the same disassembly as the old Winchester lever gun that it sort of copies. It's not difficult but you have to deal with screws and pins.

Contrast to the style where you turn one big knob and the whole gun comes right open.

The Henry .357 is not so bad. I only take one screw out.

The thing about the 464 is if you take those screws out you voided the warranty. You have to take it to the recommended gunsmith.

(Edit..I didn't hesitate to disassemble the 464 once I knew it needed it.)

Last edited:
I owned (2) Kimber Target pistols - Kimber Dedicated 1911 5" 22LR Target Pistol - the reliability was terrible - shooting high velocity round nose ammo (recommended by Kimber) I would have 2 to 3 fail to fire per magazine. Kimber reworked the match grade barrel and bushing, etc. and it worked fine for about 200 to 300 rounds then it all started again. Approximately 70% reliability is not good enough.

The other was a stainless 1911 5" 9mm Target II pistol that had accuracy and reliability problems. Kimber basically told me that I was just lousy shot and I should practice more, use better ammo, and not to worry because it will get reliable after 500 rounds.

That person annoyed me since they had no idea my level of marksmanship. I told them I shot almost 800 rounds of high quality factory ammo through the pistol and it's still unreliable. They said if I send it to them in Yonkers, NY they'll take a look at it but could be up to 8 to 12 weeks to get it back.

Instead, I took both guns to a local gunsmith and he got them working fairly well. That wasn't a cheap repair but I knew this guy would get them working right.

He bought one from me and sold the other for me. My son, my nephew, and many others swear by Kimbers. I don't.

From your experiences I can understand where you're coming from.

I have one Kimber, an UltraCarryII. It's picky about ammo and magazines but once I had that figured out it was no longer an issue.

Chiappa... Had a M9-22 Beretta clone that bulged cases and had mag issues. Chiappa did right by me and sent me an M4-22 in a warranty exchange. Never fired this mostly plastic AR "style" gun, nor did I consider keeping the upper as the assembly holes didn't mate well with a std. mil-spec lower. Made my money back plus a little bit selling it.

Never bought a new or used firearm from a company that made me not want to buy from said company again...lucky I guess.

I currently own 40.

Back