• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3" #4 buck vs 2-3/4" 00 buck, longshot

...I read the whole thread , and have great respect for you Rossi ; but - I think 40 yards is TOO far to shoot double ought buck .
If I'm gonna be shootin' Zombies - I want to drop them at closer ranges .

Thank you, I appreciate it! Again, for my purpose though, I'm searching for something to roll dogs and other varmints at that distance. The FliteControl has been impressive for buckshot, but through doing this and despite a higher percentage of pellets on paper, other loads make more sense for my needs.

Really appreciate when someone takes the time and effort to save me the time and effort. Great thread. I'm a big fan of the FliteControl wad. Never tried it in my 18.5" barrels. As HD basic 4 shot lead does nicely to any reasonable distance that would be required in a HD scenario. Can't wait to see how far out FC rounds can stay together in my 18.5" cylinder bore HD 500. Federal FC buck hits like a hammer out of the my 28" barrel with a modified choke @ 100 feet. Then I'd pop off a cheap 00 buck like Wolf at the same plate and get a light "ping." Can still hear that steel plate ring like a bell with Federal FliteControl rounds.

@Conn 500
I wonder if the resounding "ping" from the FliteControl load is because there are more pellets on target?

Are you using the FliteControl #4 buck? I have not tried those yet but they're likely another fine alternative for my use. Ballistic data or velocity suggests they retain enough energy beyond 60 yards to be effective for predators/varmints. Getting enough pellets out that far and on target is always the battle though.

Welllll, I certainly do not have zombies in my shooting portfolio of ammo vs animal vs distance :) !
There is a heck of a lot of Zombiee Ammo for sale these days ......perhaps it's much more tactful to imply the shooting of "Zombiees" rather then to say " I plan to use the ammo to blow big holes in human beings ........."

@Conn 500
I wonder if the resounding "ping" from the FliteControl load is because there are more pellets on target?

Are you using the FliteControl #4 buck? I have not tried those yet but they're likely another fine alternative for my use. Ballistic data or velocity suggests they retain enough energy beyond 60 yards to be effective for predators/varmints. Getting enough pellets out that far and on target is always the battle though.
Federal Premium (reduced recoil) 2 3/4 Flitecontrol 00 Buck. Bought 10 boxes of 5 @ $4.99 ea. and wish I had bought more. Funny how the Federal FliteControl rounds always seem to be out of stock. I'm sure the clang on the plate (railroad tie plates welded together actually) with the fliteControl is definitely more pellets hitting. About a year ago we were playing with one of those inexpensive Go Pro cameras set up on a milking stool next to the plate while shooting buck. You know, to play it back to see what's happening up close after throwing a few down range. I'm too old to keep running over to spray paint the lead splatter. 2nd time out-don't know if it was a flyer or lead bouncing off the plate-the Go Pro shattered like a coffee mug.

I just want to go out in the woods and shoot tin cans and plastic bottles.

It's dang hard to prove you weren't shooting at game however.

And in California, gun owners are guilty until they go through hell to prove otherwise.

Back