• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will Steel Shot Damage my Barrel ?

Lefty9

.270 WIN
I just love my Turkey Thug and have found a shell that it loves : Royal C20 Blue Steel Magnum 3" .
But can they damage the Thugs barrel ?

No.

The pellets will be housed in a plastic wad inside the hull, and won't leave the wad until after they have exited the barrel.

You do have to check the choke to see if it's rated for steel shot. Some tight chokes can't handle the steel and should say on the choke steel or lead only. Most after market manufacturers won't list tight choke diameters as being ok with steel even for small shot.

Thanks folks - always a great feeling to know I can ask a question here and get good solid answers !

You know, I just assumed you're using choke tubes. If not, disregard, lol

I realized what you were thinking after I came back and reread. :)

I think Lefty has been advised on choke selection elsewhere. I CAN say that the "turkey" choke the Turkey Thug comes with OEM must NOT be used with steel shot, slugs or buckshot! When in doubt, read the Owner's Manual... The SA-20 factory choked barrels take Beretta/Benelli style chokes...

I think Lefty has been advised on choke selection elsewhere. I CAN say that the "turkey" choke the Turkey Thug comes with OEM must NOT be used with steel shot, slugs or buckshot! When in doubt, read the Owner's Manual... The SA-20 factory choked barrels take Beretta/Benelli style chokes...

Bob - I did read the owners manual , but must admit I shot #1 Buckshot thru the O.E.M about 50 times ....even a box or two of steel birdshot . I will re-read the O.M so's not to continue my bouts of ignorance .
I do have the I.C choke on it now and hope I am o.k shooting it with steel,buckshot,etc. .

I re-read the owners manual .......
It states a couple times NOT to shoot steel shot or slugs all right ; but don't mention Buckshot . However , no doubt it's not a good idea to do so on a fully choked gun .

If all you have is the turkey choke, definitely no steel or slugs as you mentioned.

I can't say about the specific constriction of your choke, but generally the factory turkey choke is not as tight a choke as you can get. In my specific case, I found I could go .020 thousandths tighter on constriction and have shot 00 to #4 buck through it and tungsten T, bismuth B, copper plated BB, and 3 sizes of turkey shot. But without knowing the constriction and being able to compare it with others I wouldn't suggest shooting larger shot like the buckshot.

Rossi -
I replaced the O.E.M choke on my Thug with an Improved Cylinder . So I should be "good to go" for the entire spectrum of shells !

Back