• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

guage adapters to handgun calibers

southboothbay kerry

.22LR
Elite Member
hey all Maine 22* 1/15/17
has any one used insert adapters 410 to 38, 32h&r, 9mm or 12-20 20-410 and so on? I have been eyeing them for a while I kinda like having a choice I think the bullets in 410 may work but I'd dont think in a 20 12 16, kinda loose for me . tho I could use smaller shot in the 12-to 20 -410 all shot. they have a set all set-up
five tubes to cover 22lr 9mm 32 h&r-s&w-long 38 special, and 380acp ive heard them in aluminum and stainless. I want the steel just makes me feel better I heard they are not very accurate but you can hit something that's why I will try handgun loads in the 410 lots tighter better control? any thoughts?

I have several adapters that I use in my break action, double barrel, 12 gauge Stoeger Uplander. They work great for me. .357, .40 S&W, and 20 gauge. One of the .357 adapters is rifled and it makes a huge difference. With the smooth bore .357 adapter, the bullet makes a keyhole in the target more often than not. The rifled adapter has a rubber o-ring to keep it from rotating in the shotgun barrel. Take care. Tom Worthington

Don't have one, but rifled adapters make all kinds of sense.

My concern would be lack of appreciable rifling in the adapter. This would not stabilize the bullet as it travels out the adapter and down the "hollow" original barrel, possibly causing the bullet (projectile) to tumble, maybe even IN the barrel! :eek:

Now I don't have experience with adapters but I do have a Cobray single-shot 45LC/.410 "derringer" with a 3"? barrel and only about 1/2" of rifling. At 15' from the target, 45LC bullets keyhole every time and not consistently with point of aim. So my non-recommendation is based on this experience. The Cobray is a gut gun or snake gun, that's about it...

I think I'm going to try the 410 in hand gun loads . but as far as the 12 16 20 I think I can just use down sizes for shot no slugs no buckshot It may be handy to be able to use 20 in the 12 or 16
now also I am talking about inserts not the long tube type for break the barrel type shotgun the long tube I think comes rifled.. the short inserts do too but being that short and bouncing around the 12 barrel kinda scares me I notice the hole for 22lr is offset a 22 and a 12 hole that's a lot of wiggle room
wonder where it would end up

IMO these things are kind of a desperate measure. Maybe if you have a gun that is too difficult to get ammunition for you can adapt it to a common caliber.

Otherwise they would just be a curiosity or a toy to me.

........ I notice the hole for 22lr is offset a 22 and a 12 hole that's a lot of wiggle room
wonder where it would end up........

The .22RF hole will be offset so the firing pin hits the rim, not the center.. :D

As long as the insert is a reasonable length, at least a couple of inches, and is rifled, I would have thought it would be fairly stable and accurate.... ish...
I've had .22 pistols with 2-3 inch barrels, and while they're not target pistols, they're good enough for tin cans at 20 yds.

IMO these things are kind of a desperate measure. Maybe if you have a gun that is too difficult to get ammunition for you can adapt it to a common caliber.

Otherwise they would just be a curiosity or a toy to me.

That's me. :D I have a .357/.38 revolver, but it is the only firearm I have in that caliber. My concern is that when the zombies come, my revolver will eventually fail and I will have several boxes of .357 and .38 special ammo that I cannot use. With a pair of .357/.38 adapters, I can at least use my double barrel (after I have burned through all the 12 gauge and 20 gauge ammo). The short smooth bore ones are pretty cheap. At ten yards or less, I figure I might hit a slow moving zombie head or two. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Are you really trying to convince me that you couldn't sell or trade the ammo?

or even pull the bullets and use the powder for fire starter? Or other more interesting uses? Like mascara? War paint? Quarterback eye liner?

or even pull the bullets and use the powder for fire starter? Or other more interesting uses? Like mascara? War paint? Quarterback eye liner?

If it's the zombies, I am not going to leave the house for selling or trading. Take care. Tom Worthington

I'd go out in the garage and build a gun of that caliber. No unnecessary traveling.

Back