• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ordered the 590, but think I should have bought the 590A1

I like the lighter weight of the 590 and have had no issues with the plastic trigger group. I have not seen any posts on various forums that mentioned the plastic parts as an issue. You can buy the 590A1 trigger group and replace it if you wish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I like the lighter weight of the 590 and have had no issues with the plastic trigger group. I have not seen any posts on various forums that mentioned the plastic parts as an issue. You can buy the 590A1 trigger group and replace it if you wish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

here is what prompted me to question the plastic.

I had a 500 from the '80s that had a plastic trigger group, the teeth at the front chipped away and broke, I tried to fix it with a kit, but it only lasted a few rounds, I ended up buying a new group, however, I hope they changed the plastic formula to be more durable.

I will see if I can locate my thread.

I had a 500 from the '80s that had a plastic trigger group, the teeth at the front chipped away and broke, I tried to fix it with a kit, but it only lasted a few rounds, I ended up buying a new group, however, I hope they changed the plastic formula to be more durable.

I will see if I can locate my thread.

Wow, plastic even back then. It is hopefully a better quality today. I guess I'm old school and like things that will be around for a while. I have so many things from my younger years that any plastic components have turned to garbage. Then again, I have had some metal go bad as well. Nothing lasts forever I guess.

I'm still using my 500 that's 17 years old and nothing has broken yet. And there are a ton more out there with plastic.

The 590 will serve you well, let not your heart be troubled over the plastic.

Okay, thanks for the support. I thought that maybe they recently downgraded to plastic and will then have trouble. Obviously, it has passed the test of time. I am looking forward to this as my next firearm:)

The trigger group will be fine. You made a good choice with 590! I would recommend replacing the safety switch with a metal or aluminum one. Very reasonable upgrade that will make a big difference. Not that the plastic one may break but the aftermarket alternatives are much better.

The trigger group will be fine. You made a good choice with 590! I would recommend replacing the safety switch with a metal or aluminum one. Very reasonable upgrade that will make a big difference. Not that the plastic one may break but the aftermarket alternatives are much better.
Agreed with this statement right here. I think all Mossbergs with the tang safety should be upgraded to something you can get more purchase or leverage on when engaging and disengaging the safety.

Agreed with this statement right here. I think all Mossbergs with the tang safety should be upgraded to something you can get more purchase or leverage on when engaging and disengaging the safety.
I was looking at the Brownells one, but I'm open to suggestions.

I prefer the 590. I had a 590A1 in the past and that heavy barrel adds a noticeable amount of weight that is really not necessary unless you're going to be slamming it in hatches and against metal bulkheads.

Plastic trigger guard is no problem, my AR15 and Glock both have plastic trigger guards and it's never been an issue. And if it is you could always buy a metal one and swap it in.

The only important upgrade IMO is the metal safety switch, but even if I had an A1 I would swap for the Promag just because it's easier to actuate.

I am equipped with a duty shotgun and a couple rifles at work. Honestly, the shotgun I was issued would be perfectly okay (it's a bead sight 5+1 Mossberg 500 that I train with and qualify with and shoot regularly) but I wanted more so I tote a personally owned 8+1 GRS 590. Not a 590A1, just a 590. It wasn't about how much money I wanted to spend. It was weight out at the end of the 8-shot tube. I already carry plenty of that and I am not getting any younger. And adding a heavy tac-light at the muzzle was going to make a 590A1 8+1 GRS a beast I didn't want to swing around. So I bought a 590.

Quit worrying so much. The safety breaks in a bad moment... it still works with just the screw sticking up. A broken trigger guard, which is highly unlikely, does not incapacitate the gun.

Enjoy what you bought. Stop second guessing.

You aren't going to punish your gun enough to need the steel parts unless you are a 3-gun guy who shoots a helluva lot and throws it around onto hard surfaces.

I have 3 of the Promag 500/590 enhanced slide safety. It's aluminum not steel but functions great. Much better for actuating the safety on/off. Best $12 - $15 upgrade you'll make.

I have a 20" 590A1 and it's a heavy pig. The weight doesn't bother me though since it's an HD gun. The extra 1.5" barrel is also not an issue for me. I haven't noticed any issues swinging it in the halls of my house when compared to my 18.5" shotgun.

I don't need a bayonet lug or a heavy barrel though. If i did it over again, I'd probably just get a 500 and maybe add a +2 extension and a metal trigger group if decided they were important issues.

I don't need a bayonet lug or a heavy barrel though. If i did it over again, I'd probably just get a 500 and maybe add a +2 extension and a metal trigger group if decided they were important issues.

I agree. I did do it again, and went from a 20" 590A1 to a 18.5" 590 with extension and Promag safety. I couldn't be happier with the shotgun. :D

I bought the 590a1, because of its reputation in various LE and Mil services. I've thoroughly enjoyed shooting it and learning how to disassemble and assemble it. Two things though:

1) It is heavy. I've never held a regular 590 to compare it to, but I have held numerous 500's, so perhaps that's apples to oranges. But still, you will notice the weight of a 590a1 compared to most other pump-actions. If you're in shape and can lug that beast around (when loaded) more power to you. If it's just a range gun or emergency defense gun, and will mostly sit in your safe, then that's fine too. This shotgun was designed with heavy-duty military use in mind, which appealed to me. But unless you're using the a1 in that kind of abusive environment (think constantly being banged into metal, dropping, firing lots of rounds in a short time frame) the thicker barrel and metal trigger guard may not be needed.

2) the 20" barrel has got a very long LOP. My arm span is probably about average, and while I can manipulate everything fine, I'd prefer a shorter LOP to help with reloading and mitigating the recoil. I think the 590's and 500's have more flexibility with different LOP's and stocks. The 590a1 used to offer a magpul LOP adjustable stock, but I don't think it's offered anymore.

The a1 is very much a wartime shotgun. It's construction and robustness reminds me of the type of rifles and shotguns I used overseas. If you're into those types of firearms just because, go ahead and get the a1. If you think that getting the a1 is going to be the deciding factor in a life-or-death situation, don't waste your time and money and go get a a 500 or 590 and customize it to your liking. Though to be fair, the a1 isn't that much more expensive than some other pump-actions. I paid ~$520 for mine (minus shipping and FFL costs), and you can easily find Remington and Mossberg pump-actions at that price or even higher.

Back