• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

This is a dam problem

Well the paper says they're letting people back in this morning but it looks like the rain is going to start again tomorrow through Saturday.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/15/oroville-dam-repairs-continue-as-trump-approves-relief-for-state.html

Lake Oroville Dam, located in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, gets major inflows from the Sierras and will be tested again in the spring when the snowpack begins to melt. The state's snowpack in the central Sierras region where Oroville is located sits at 183 percent of normal.
Cal Fire Capt. Dan Olson, a spokesman for the Oroville incident, said Wednesday morning: "We have crews working 24 hours a day. We're moving around 1,200 tons of rock an hour on the ground and it's being placed as a means of back-filling the erosion that occurred the other day. We also are using two helicopters to swing in bags of rock."

My boss (OK, ex-boss) tells me that this dam was part of a system which did not get completed. There was supposed to be a dam upstream to share the load.
(Politics and the predicted mega drought.)

Well, they were right about the drought. But everything moves in cycles. Guess they forgot about that part.

I just saw video of the spillway and it looks like it's collapsing. That or they decided to let out a whole bunch of water.

President Trump is sending us $274 million to repair Oroville Dam, plus another $266 million for storm damage etc.

I hope Jerry Brown kissed his ass good to get that money too.

Well it's ended up costing a whole lot more than they originally figured, because they had to dig a whole lot deeper, because there was a whole lot of undiscovered errosion.

The original spillway was sort of a thin affair & did end up cracking in many many places, allowing in water to seep through and wash out the subsoil. Anyhow most of the lake is drained and it doesn't look like they're going to finish before next year.

Back