• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Movie suggestions.

Not too many new movies on Netflix, but I highly recommend their exclusive series Peaky Blinders. It's damn good...

I like the humorous quasi-neo-religious handling in the movies "Paul" and my favorite "The Invention of Lying." Try them, you'll have no bad moods for days.

Paul
upload_2017-3-3_22-32-57.jpeg upload_2017-3-3_22-35-59.jpeg

Ooohh....an alien movie! I'll look for it..

I just watched 10,000 BC...I actually enjoyed it...

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to unlock the firestick.

I've got kodi loaded on to it but I'm not sure what's next.

On Netflix, check out Iron Fist.

It's another Marvel Comics title. First couple episodes are a little slow filling in some backstory and getting to know the characters. The action begins avbout the third episode.

Martial arts ( @Water Monkey ) and cage fighting. Looks cool but I'm hoping going further there's less talk and more action.

It's not as bloody as Dare Devil.

There will be a couple familiar faces if you've seen Dare Devil. If you haven't seen Dare Devil, see Dare Devil.

I don't know how close it is to the comics, but what I really like is how a few different series are woven together. I like the continuity and I think writers, producers, and Netflix have done well with these. I think these series are better than many of the movies that don't make any sense at all from one to the next except as stand alone pieces even when they're about the same characters. And even as stand alone pieces they've often sucked.

The opening credits of Iron Fist is done very much like Dare Devil and don't forget, November this year, The Punisher begins its own series.

I'm about to get cozy on the couch and knock out a few more episodes of Iron Fist... so far... even the boring 2 episodes are very well put together.

"Standoff" "The Prince" "Frailty""Tears of the Sun" "No Country for Old Men" "The Road" "Kill Command"

Watched all of them on NetFlix Take care. Tom Worthington

I was away from comics by maybe 10. My parents discouraged them.

Baptists... Immorality... I dunno. They were never too clear about why Batman might be OK, but Superman was some kind of sacrilage, and besides, comic books were for the illiterate.

Regular books, however, I was given in profusion. That part worked out okay.

And eventually, about the age of 50, I actually bought some comic books that I had wanted to read, way back when I was 10 years old. Evidently it was important to me on some level because I had not forgotten in 40 years.

They were indeed 40 years old because this series had not been published since I was about 10 years.

I doubt that even one of you will remember the short-lived (but award-winning) series from Gold Key called Magnus: Robot Fighter.

Like Batman, Magnus was 100% mortal and could not rely on super powers to achieve his mission. He combined the acrobatic skills of Daredevil with the kung fu skills of Jackie Chan, enormous courage and significant mental prowess, to defeat an impressive variety of robots possessed by evil doers or otherwise creating Mayhem on the Earth of 4000 AD.

I had only seen one or two of these Comics back in 1965, but they attracted me because they were different from run-of-the-mill Superhero fare.

The artwork in the original run was the best in the business and the premise was pretty unique. Fifty years later I think they still hold up.

The storylines were not the classic literature that I imagined in my 10 year old brain, but in the end I'm still glad I bought them and read them.

Magnus was not a success in the marketplace. Gold key only ran it a few dozen months, they were not all done by the same great artist, and some of them were simply reprints of earlier editions with cover changes.

Needless to say I picked up some excellent condition books for a song.

Also, unknown to me, Magnus was picked up some 40 plus years later by an independent company which reimagined the whole concept quite a bit, with totally unique stories and artwork (brought into the digital age of course.)

The complexity of the new artwork is wonderful, though it loses some of the charm of the ultra stylized and crafted original. The storylines were modernized somewhat.

As it turns out it was short-lived. It was dropped but picked up yet again, and a third series of Magnus robot fighter came forth. The art style of the third series got a little overboard for me but all of the plot lines were incredible. It turned out to be, unfortunately, very short-lived as well.

The comic book Market is a Fickle mistress and I'll tell you some much less significant books prospered over the years as Magnus languished.

But the problem originally was Gold Key and Gold Key was never a superhero marque like Marvel or DC. They were a funny-book house. Dramatic stuff was not their forte & I think they may have been a little embarrassed to get into Magnus in the first place.

In the end I bought the whole series and read it, and I was happy, and I bought the second series and read it, and the third series as well. That however pretty much completed my foray into the world of geriatric comic book collecting.

Last edited:
There's more cool stuff to come in episode 8 of Iron Fist. Some Bushido vs Chinese sword work and then a fight scene reminiscint of the drunken Master scenes from the old Kung fu shows.

"Bag Man" "Numbers Station" Both John Cusack and both on NetFlix (I get my money's worth). ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Back