• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Son Finally Shoots His Maverick 88

sicnarf

Copper BB
So wife and I gave our son a Maverick 88 12-guage because he earned his Eagle in Scouts. It was a total surprise to him because we never said we'd get him something for the achievement. On Saturday, we went out as a family and he was so excited that he could finally shoot his Maverick. Unfortunately, it jammed a couple of times using Federal so I switched him over to Winchesters. After we ran out of Winchesters, it was back to Federals and after the initial jams, no problems at all. The entire family had a great time and he especially enjoyed shooting his very own shotgun. We'll be heading to the local gun club this coming Saturday so he can shoot trap to fulfill a requirement for his shotgun merit badge.

Congratulations on the Eagle badge. That is no small feat at all.

I didn't know they had a shotgun badge now either. Though I admit that I haven't kept up with them for the last few years since I believe they made a bunch of bad decisions as a whole in their organization.

I think our county is down to maybe one troop now (from 5).

I know they have to be hurting for members. At least around here they are. Folks dropped them without hesitation.

But I don't want to sidetrack the thread. That has nothing to do with anyone here.

I usually have better performance from Federal than Winchesters. Especially the cheap bulk pack Winchester AA's.

There may have been a little burr or break in getting everything seated well.

Very cool, congrats on his accomplishment!!

upload_2017-3-30_15-22-21.jpeg upload_2017-3-30_15-21-56.jpeg

Extract from Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge

OPTION A ‐‐‐ SHOTGUN SHOOTING (MODERN SHOTSHELL TYPE)

A. Identify the principal parts of a shotgun, action types, and how they function.
B. Identify and demonstrate the rules for safely handling a shotgun.
C. Identify the parts of a shotgun shell and their functions.
D. Identify the various gauges of shotguns. Explain which one you would pick for use and why.
E. Identify and demonstrate the fundamentals of safely shooting a shotgun.
F. Identify and explain each rule for shooting a shotgun safely.
G. Demonstrate the knowledge, skill and attitude necessary to safely shoot moving targets, using the fundamentals of shotgun shooting.
H. Identify the materials needed to clean a shotgun.
I. Demonstrate how to clean a shotgun safely.
J. Discuss what points you would consider in selecting a shotgun.
K. Shooting score required. ‐ Hit at least 12 (48 percent) out of 25 targets in two 25 target groups. The two groups need not be shot in consecutive order.

Shooting skill rules:
o Targets may be thrown by a hand trap, manual mechanical trap, or on any trap or skeet field. Note: If using a hand trap or manual mechanical trap, the trap operator should be at least 5 feet to the right and 3 feet to the rear of the shooter. If throwing left‐handed with a hand trap this should be reversed
o All targets should be thrown at a reasonable speed and in the same direction.
o Targets should be generally thrown so as to climb in the air after leaving the trap.
o Scores may be fired at any time, either in formal competition or in practice.
o Any gauge shotgun not exceeding 12 gauge may be used. o Any ammunition, either factory or hand loaded, may be used.
o Shooters must shoot in rounds of 25. Rounds need not be shot continuously or on the same day (the term "round" refers to a single series of 25 shots).

http://clsr.samoset.org/staff/MBSyllabi/Shotgun Shooting.pdf
[edit: added Shooting skill rules for @CaddmannQ ]

Last edited:
Is that last requirement for flying targets or stationary targets? Is that a standard round of clays?

Back