• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (April 2017)

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Do we have anything to worry about to our 2A Gun Rights under a Trump Presidency?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

Yes

1. 2000 "I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.” — “The America We Deserve,” by Donald J. Trump [I know he said on FOX news in March of last year that he no longer supports such a ban, but I still worry.]

2. Even if Trump were NOT so wishy-washy, I would worry no matter who was Prez. I always worry.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
As long as there are politicians there will be a worry about losing our Constitution and the Rights associated with it. The President can't take it away alone but Congress can. State's legislators can. While one state increases the ability of its citizens to own and carry another takes those rights away piece by piece. Courts have been flip flopping on the issue; one upholds a ban while another strikes them down. It's a complete mess. There are so many back room deals, give-and-takes, that it can make your head spin.

Worried about Trump's presidency? Yes, but not at the level of Obama's. We can't let complacency take hold.

As long as there is one man alive that wants control over another we will be at risk of being disarmed. Its as simple as that.

This is an April Fool's joke right?
No?

Then, "Hell yes"!
Worry at will!

Trump may be the president, but he is just one man; and you can already see how the overwhelming pressure of the corrupt media and party politics from both sides have persuaded him to moderate his stance.

Don't trust him with guns.

He lost me when he supported Paul Ryan's Obamscare-lite instead of a full repeal. When he got mad at the conservatives for actually wanting to fulfill the republican promise of full repeal was strike 2. Turning to the democrats instead of working with the conservatives was strike 3. Having that RINO Reince Priebus in the white house isn't helping.

Neil Gorsuch is probably his biggest plus thus far.

Well, Trump didn't slow down California or New York or Massachusetts from stomping all over the 2A. Not at all. We still have to be vigilant, no matter what state we live in.

Last edited:
So far, I'm pleased with actions (such as Gorsuch) Trumpy has taken. I realize 2A (ie: suppressors) is down the list but I don't think he will do anything to curb it in any way. His sons are advocates and I like to think he values their opinions/desires. I posted an interview with Don Jr. at Silencerco and I'm sure you could find it on GooToob easy enough. I read a story that actually states gun sales are DOWN since he got elected.

Now, I couldn't predict what will happen if there is another mass shooting... :rolleyes: So to answer the question: "no, no need to worry at the moment"...

. . . gun sales are DOWN since he got elected...

Perhaps people aren't feeling as desperate to acquire now, but maybe it is the fact that the list of legal handguns in California has just sucked to record lows in a hockeystick fashion.

I think you can buy a Glock here now. But it is the model that's usually sold out.

All the rest of them are illegal. I can browse Davidsons and I don't find a single legal thing here which is not an antique curio repop or a Glock, or a long gun.

Nothing small enough to put in your pocket is legal for sale or import/export.

That big bump in gun sales was us running out to buy the few remaining new pistols you could purchase in California.

... I read a story that actually states gun sales are DOWN since he [Trump] got elected.

I just came back from my friend's gunstore and he was telling that the sales were down and the mfgrs were complaining about inventory gluts.

I said, "They lost their best salesman, barry obama. What is good for the gun community is bad for the gun business."

I can live with that.
Availability of affordable guns and ammo will bring the business back eventually.

Obama-gun-sale.jpg

Well I knew they were getting caught up, cuz I ordered parts from Mossberg and they only took 8 days to get to California from Texas.

Assume that that includes them inspecting trucks and frisking down the drivers as they come over the Border to make sure they're not bringing in any illegal ARs.

I don't worry about Trump. I worry about the politicians that want to get re-elected caving to the media invoked frenzy, and the liberals taking over town hall meetings . Trump does not strike me as a poll type of guy, more of a leader.

... I read a story that actually states gun sales are DOWN since he got elected.
I thought so too. But the NRA published this:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170407/firearms-purchases-still-trending-up
Firearms Purchases Still Trending Up
We’ve covered – and debunked – the claims that firearms sales are significantly declining under the Trump Administration. The latest FBI report on NICS checks for March 2017 should help put any lingering claims about the “Trump Slump” to bed.

The total number of NICS checks, nationwide, is up about 9% from February 2017 which was itself a nearly 10% increase over January 2017. NICS checks aren’t a direct proxy for firearms sales – not every check is related to a sale, a single check can be used to purchase more than one firearm in a single transaction, not all sales are completed even after an approved NICS, etc. – but the National Shooting Sports Foundation proposed an interesting way to improve the proxy. They devise the total number of NICS checks by removing those explicitly for permit or permit rechecks. While this will still not capture all firearms purchases (since some locales require a permit to purchase and so run a background check for the permit itself instead of at the point of sale), this calculation does likely get us closer to the number of firearms sold per month.

March 2017 is number 10 in the total number of checks since January 2008 and cracks the top 20 for estimated sales (number 17, to be exact). Just over 1.35 million firearms were sold in March 2017 according to this estimate.

The well-covered theory seemed to be that purchases would subside once the “threat” of Obama and Clinton policies were exhausted.​

The numbers tell a different story. Using the estimated sales calculation, the number of purchases has increased in each month of 2017. Actually, the average number of purchases in the first 3 months of 2017 is just 1% lower than the average of August through October 2016 (excluding the typically high sales month of December and November to prevent any electoral uncertainty from skewing our conclusion).

While we don’t have data on when purchasers decided to make a purchase, a reasonable assumption would be that the increase in late 2016 could be attributed to a desire to complete a planned purchase sooner to avoid the worst possible outcome of the election. The increase in sales-related NICS checks each month of 2017 suggests that fear of anti-gun policies isn’t the driving force behind firearms purchases but perhaps simply a factor in the decision on when to purchase.

Or, put another way, Americans’ commitment to liberty, tradition, and self-defense isn’t dictated by political developments.​

"Do we have anything to worry about to our 2A Gun Rights under a Trump Presidency?"

No, No we don't. We have a pro-gun advocate in President Trump.

Back