• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Forearm on my SPX cracked!

Whitey

.270 WIN
No big deal. What a great excuse to order up the Aimpro Tactical Tri-Rail forend, http://aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_930_tri-rail_forend.htm after all, they are made just over the hill from me.
Well, might as well upgrade to the OR3GUN MST while I have it apart, I mean that would just be lazy not to do that, http://or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_marine.htm

Not sure why the stock forearm cracked where it did. I'm pretty sure the Aimpro will be solid. I'm not much into story tellin' but I thought I'd share a few of my maintenance secrets that I have been using on my 930 since new, I don't know if the things I am doing attribute to the 100% success reliability I have had or not, but if it works I'll keep using them :)

Here's a few pictures -
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

Ok, so I have been using this stuff for years......AeroKroil......works well as Penetrating oil, Gun cleaner, Lube, etc......and it smells good (at least to me it does). We use it on Turbine Engines to remove case plugs and such. I use it as a gun cleaner/protectant.

IMG_0955.JPG

......and I use this stuff on the secondary gas system, just a light coat after a good cleaning. Pretty simple but yet effective. We use it in Aviation, Thrust Reverser lube on some of the Corporate Jets. LPS Dry Film Teflon Lubricant. Magazine tube cleaned with a light coat of this stuff.

IMG_0954.JPG

Piston/Ring - cleaned and coated too.

IMG_0956.JPG

Oh, and the pic where my gun is leaning against my sled.......in case any of you are sled heads......that's my custom back country deep pow sled. Powered by a custom 880cc built by me :) HP in the neighborhood of 190+

IMG_0946.JPG
2015 Season.JPG

Well the sled is a real beauty, and it's damn hard to beat that Rotax engine.

I haven't ridden a snowmobile for some 40 years and things have changed a lot!

The last snowmobile I rode was a Ski-Doo Nordica, which was an unusual machine in that it had two tracks and only one ski. I think total dependence on the tracks for stability made this a rather ungainly machine once above the most modest speeds.

Last edited:
Just a guess but maybe the nut was overtightened? Like I said--just a guess.

Those sleds bring back memories. I learned to ride one before I even learned how to ride a dirt bike. My family and extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) were honorary members of a snowshoe club in Maine my uncle was the President of. :) One of the perks was use of the club sleds. There was even a Ski-boose or whatever it was called to take the younger kiddys around on. The sleds were kept in a chalet just out of town with snowmobile trails in and out. It was possible to ride into Canada on the trails. The club was just a reason for the older people to gather and drink. ;) One guy pulled in with a newer JD 300 or 350 or something like that and threw me the keys and said "be back in an hour". :D What adult would throw snowmobile keys to a 10-year-old at 11pm nowadays? :rolleyes: :p With a frozen lake just down the hill, it was the first time I ever hit a buck on/in ANY vehicle including a plane. :eek: They would plow out the parking lot and the snow banks of the entry to the lot would be about 6' high and 6' between them and nicely ramped. Needless to say we would jump across the entry... :D I miss the snow but not the cold...

You guys are just awesome! Here we are on a gun forum and the discussion of sleds take over in this thread. For me it's sleds/guns that's all I need. Oh, and me dog!

Well we're not just about guns of course. My biggest Joy of living in the great Frozen Northland was fishing in the summer.

Now this is what a liquid-cooled 800cc 2-stroke engine should put out . . . 40 hp!
1491293081898-990639142.jpg
Mine has been around since 1969 and it still runs well, but I wonder how long a 2 stroke will run if you're getting nearly 200 horsepower out of it?!?

Actually it could be a long time because both materials and lubricating technology have progressed a lot since 1969.

I would definitely like to ride on that sled, as long as I never had to live in Minnesota in the winter again.

You can keep Minnesota, too cold and too flat. Western Colorado has been good to me. I live in a high desert valley with a elevation of 4850ft and have the worlds largest flat top mountain (the Grand Mesa) in my backyard reaching heights of 11,000+ ft.
IMG_0992.JPG
Definitely not flat. Has over 250 natural lakes as well. From my driveway to the unloading area is 45 minutes. Lots of tree riding and hill climbing.

Oh and I'm one of the few with a Big Bore motor, at this elevation most of the hardcore guys are boosted pushing 200+ on pump gas. My last set-up was nitrous fed. Yeah, us sled heads can be a little different.

I spent three years in the Rocky Mountains. Way too much snow!!
Give me the desert please. :oops:

Oh and I'm one of the few with a Big Bore motor, at this elevation most of the hardcore guys are boosted pushing 200+ on pump gas. My last set-up was nitrous fed. Yeah, us sled heads can be a little different.

Guy I worked with had one (I forget the brand) with 3 expansion chambers exiting out the side! It was quite a beast! :eek: This was in RI where you might get ONE rideable day a year. :rolleyes: Most sleds were trailer queens for the occasional trip to NH, VT or ME...

I thought they called them snow machines up there, i am a retired ap mech. And we used kroil and lps all the time, oh, and nice shot gun too.

Back